The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
basic tube question Desktop Synthesizers
Old 25th January 2004
Gear Maniac

basic tube question

so i'm gonna try putting a new tube in a compressor for fun. I asked the company what works and they said..

"You can try using any type of dual triode ECC83/12AX7WA valve"

I looked up and read some stuff on tubes and what the names mean and so forth and am sill a bit confused about a couple things.

1. are all ECC83/12AX7WA's dual triode? sometimes it says a
"dual triode 12ax7" and sometimes it just says "12ax7"

2. what about all the little adaptations... for a 12ax7lps. Or various other little off-shoots, usually when finding these it says something like "....a 12ax7 with a lower noise floor" soooo it will work in place of a 12ax7 right?

which also brings me to the original reccomendation from the company.. they said a ECC83/12AX7WA , isn't an ECC83 just a 12AX7 not a 12AX7WA, is this possible, or am i over analyzing his casual usage of these terms? Anyways, thanks guys/girls.
Arit
Old 26th January 2004
Lives for gear

They can all be used interchangeably- they will just have slightly different specs. And all of them are dual triode, whether it says it on the tube or not.
Old 26th January 2004
Gear Addict

In guitar amps the 12AX7 type of pre-amp tube is very common.
It's really a family of tubes, you can get a list from most vintage tube dealers. I have a collection that I use for guitar amps.
Some are Hi-Fi, some are colored, some compress more than others. A telefunken will cost bunch, a chinese one will be cheap.
Lots to play with.
Old 26th January 2004
Gear Maniac

okay, well now that thats out of the way. Do you guys have any suggestions for compressors. The unit that i'm tinkering with is a hhb fatman d/i compressor thingy. I use it mainly for guitar d.i. and synths. The thing i don't like about it is that it darkens the crap out of stuff and removes all the detail. I excpect a bit of this but i guess i just dont like the manner in which it does this. The tube in it now is some cheap sovtek. I am well aware that a tube change may not be the answer to my problems but i just wanna see what happens. I'm considering a mullard or telefunken.
Old 26th January 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by toledo3
Want mixing/tracking feedback? Checkout MFR @ The Fade- http://www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php
man, this is a cool link. it´s exactly what i´m looking for
Old 26th January 2004
Gear Addict

Mullards or Telefunkens are not cheep.
The mullards I buy now are CV4004's I think, one's that were made for the military and even those are hard to find.
$35.00 or $40.00
They are warm and fat sounding.
I have one Telefunken (diamond bottom) but I don't like it for guitar, to clean and HI-Fi. It was $60.00 years ago and
they are VERY rare.

Good Luck
Old 26th January 2004
Gear Maniac

basic tube question

I would go to the tubestore.com and read up on it. The site has a ton on information that a layman can understand. which is what i am.I have a little better understanding of whats going on and have a nice reference when i need it. i was looking into changing the tube in a mike for a different sound and came away quite pleased. There are so many tubes that can fit into a particular circuit. Its kinda like choosing a particular wine to drink. The cool part is not all tubes are super exspensive...some can be. Look them up you will be amazed.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search