The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drumdial Drum Tuner !!!!!
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

Drumdial Drum Tuner !!!!!

has anyone used this. i know you should learn to tune by ear but wouldnt this aid and steepen the learning curve also.only about60 dalloars of amazon.i think it sounds brill.any think to the contrary.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

it will NOT help you tune drums if you don't already know how to tune drums.

what it WILL do is help you get the job done faster, and it's very convenient for getting a drum back into the ballpark (in terms of pitch), when changing heads and requiring the drum to be at the same pitch.

but if you don't know how to tune drums, it will not help. and IMO, their "suggested settings" are pretty far off--but maybe that's just my drums and the way i like em tuned.

cheers,
wade
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourceslut View Post
has anyone used this. i know you should learn to tune by ear but wouldnt this aid and steepen the learning curve also.only about60 dalloars of amazon.i think it sounds brill.any think to the contrary.
Toddf (who posts here) has one for the studio.

They are nice for what they do. I had one of the Tama tension watches back when they first came out (93). I used it a lot when I was playing live. I was young and not very good at tuning too. It helped when you were the 3rd band on stage and you couldn't hit your drums too much in the club while setting up.

Kenny Aronoff was up at Todd's studio recently. He used the house kit. After he tuned them, the drum dial was used to see what tension the lugs were at.

I still prefer tuning them by ear.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrface2112 View Post
it will NOT help you tune drums if you don't already know how to tune drums.

what it WILL do is help you get the job done faster, and it's very convenient for getting a drum back into the ballpark (in terms of pitch), when changing heads and requiring the drum to be at the same pitch.

but if you don't know how to tune drums, it will not help. and IMO, their "suggested settings" are pretty far off--but maybe that's just my drums and the way i like em tuned.

cheers,
wade
You know, it's funny. I remember the Tama Tension Watch suggested settings. They were way different than the settings for the other one I have used. Same theory, same relative mechanics (placing on head, near rim). Still, the numbers each company suggests were different.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

2 years ago I bought one and sold it to a friend after 2 months... Last year I decided to buy another one to give it another try (I have a DW Drums kit) and... after using it 2 or 3 times, I put in the closet and never used it again...
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh View Post
Still, the numbers each company suggests were different.
exactly--it's a lot like presets on a reverb unit.....decent jumping off places, but not useful much beyond that.

btw, LOVE your avatar. i can't wait for their new album this summer. hope they tour again too. heh

cheers,
wade
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrface2112 View Post
exactly--it's a lot like presets on a reverb unit.....decent jumping off places, but not useful much beyond that.

btw, LOVE your avatar. i can't wait for their new album this summer. hope they tour again too. heh

cheers,
wade
Thanks man. I'm looking forward as well.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

You wouldn't tune your guitar by measuring the tension on the strings. No different than for the drums, you tune by listening to the pitches, not feeling the tension.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcohol View Post
You wouldn't tune your guitar by measuring the tension on the strings. No different than for the drums, you tune by listening to the pitches, not feeling the tension.
http://transperformance.com/perform/index2.htm

hehe
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I find it useful. But yeah, I could tune w/o it (and had for many years). The one head I've always had a little more difficulty with was the bottom snare side head. That head is so thin, it's hard to get a tone out of it when tuning and the tension watch has really taken some of the guesswork out of it.

Also, when I finally get to a tuning range I like (for the drums, head selection), I take note of the tension watch reading and use it as a quick guide to get me back to where I was after a new head change.

It's a useful tool, but you still need to know how to tune.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Drum tuning .......

All you need is this......study it......it's free and very informative, no matter how long you've been playing for.....

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh View Post
It has sensors that are pitch sensitive, besides tension.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

drum dials are cool. not a reference, really, but cool. what i do with them is tune the drum to my liking, and then see what the number on the dial is. write it down. throw it in a folder. fetch it the next time i use that drum.
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

i just got one

I just got one and I really like what I've heard after tuning one set of older Pearls with kinda beat up heads. +1 for me.
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

As already stated, this tool is not a substitute for knowing how to tune. But damn, they sure come in handy. I use it to get close to what I want and then use my ears to fine tune. One limitation: they are less accurate with thick heads and high-tention tuning.
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

The drum dial can help you seating the heads... It isn`t very precise, but at leat it gives you an idea of wich lugs you need to screw...

After that, it is all about knowing how to tune.

I have one for 3 years now, and I used it only once.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search