The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Power Amp for Mixcubes
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Power Amp for Mixcubes

I just bought into the hype and picked up a pair of Avantone Mixcubes as another reference. I am looking to get a quality power amplifier for them. Avant's site recommends 20 to 200 solid state watts. Any suggestions outside of the "pro-sumer" market that are not too expensive.

Thanks!

Fash
jealousy curve
www.myspace.com/jealousycurve
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Ohm amps are pretty good
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I got them too. Running them for two days now out of phase to soften them up

Would running them with an average Pioneer amp be a bad thing?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Slightly OT, but isn't the point of avantones to hear what your mix sounds like in a not so stellar system? If so, why not just stick with a plain jane amp?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Slightly OT, but isn't the point of avantones to hear what your mix sounds like in a not so stellar system?
Some would say yes. I think the real benefit is being able to judge midrange balances at low to moderate levels on speakers with no crossover. The key concept here is "balances" vs. "sounds." Tons of hit records have had great balances of not-so-great sounds. Vice versa? I can't think of any.

Another thing -- back to the no-crossover issue -- is that crossoverless monitors tend to have really good transient response. A mediocre amp might not (even at low levels), and you can get all derailed trying to fix things in your sounds that are actually amp issues.

There have been a couple other recent threads about this you should check out.
Old 12th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fash View Post
I just bought into the hype and picked up a pair of Avantone Mixcubes as another reference. I am looking to get a quality power amplifier for them. Avant's site recommends 20 to 200 solid state watts. Any suggestions outside of the "pro-sumer" market that are not too expensive.

Thanks!

Fash
jealousy curve
www.myspace.com/jealousycurve
come on Steve...you didnt tell me you bought the Avant's. all the gear talk we do and you failed to pass that one by me?!

im gonna kick your ass when you come back from tour

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search