37 Votes - 22.29%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

how many of u guys read music?

just curious.

I don't, not well.... well not really at all

I have pretty good knowlege of theory

Is it a necessity, producing, writting, getting around in a professional way?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Guru
As an engineer, I can follow a chart well enough to talk to the players. As a player, I can follow a chord chart, but I wouldn't say I can read. And I do consider that a shortcoming.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I can read a tiny bit. Enough to follow a score or play along if it's not too fast or complex .
I used to be better (when I studied guitar) but just haven't needed to read anything for ages.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for Jesus

yes but a bit rusty .............

Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

I do, having a classical music background

Yeah, I do, being a halfway decent clarinet, piano, and guitar player. Tabs as well as "usual" score. Have a bit of a hard time with unusual clefs...
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes, but I have a hard time "converting" scores for example clarinet or saxophone to actual notes. This is where drag and drop in your DAW comes in handy!
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Guru

Yes. For me it's not a convenience - it's a necessity.
Old 8th February 2007
BVB
Gear Maniac

I studied harmony and I must admit that sometimes it comes in very handy.

Greets

Paul
Old 8th February 2007
I also fit into the yes but I'm abit rusty. Chord charts are easy but sight reading notation especially music with a lot of ledger lines and I become the guitar player who turns down
Old 8th February 2007
You could put the beatles down for a no.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

i do and i can, but i dont love 2.
i see people in the consevatory study classical music,
but with out a paper in front of them they don't know ****.
whats up with that.

i had a violinist from the conservatory come over to the studio
to record some tracks. i ask'd can you play something over this part (improv) .
the awnser was: can you write it down 4 me .
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I was trained but to be honest I haven't read a piece of music for a long time. I know the theory which can be very handy at times.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

I've been able to read from an early age and in fact when I went for my first audition I was shocked to find in bands most people play by ear.And when I asked them for the dots they fell about laughing.Needless to say I learned to play by ear but even today if there are dots around I find myself being lazy and taking a quick peek.

Paddo
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Was a music performance major in college the first time around. Can read Bass, Tenor, and Treble clef.

Bryan
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

can read treble clef but I never learned bass clef when I learned the bass. I don't like reading music, though, I prefer to learn by ear, and for many years I have tried to avoid situations where people expect me to play exactly what's on the page, cause that's not what music is about in my book.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, but only very... very.... slooooooooooooowly.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

I do read. But as long as I'm not working together with anyone else that has to have the music spelled out in front of them to even play, I'm not using written notes.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I learned to read when I took guitar lessons in 1965 but never did much after that. In the 90's I started doing sessions that I needed to follow a piano score. I'm fairly good at it now, although I could never play what I'm reading. So I'll vote yes.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

i can read slowly too. but id rather hear the theory and sound like an idiot trying to convey it to the band than use pretentious italian phrases i cant pronounce properly anyway.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
You could put the beatles down for a no.
The way Paul arranges or composes I find that hard to believe.

Cheers, Julian
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
Yes, but only very... very.... slooooooooooooowly.
You can put me in this category only you might add very poooooooooorly as well. heh

So maybe that is a no?

I used to read percussion charts. But that was a long rime ago.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear
I played in a classical guitar ensemble for about 5 years and got very good at sight reading. Stopped about 4 years ago and I'm getting worse everyday...
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

classical piano for 15 years would not have permitted me to go without reading music.

It's a great skill to have.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

I am a musician, and I know the theory well, but I can't read-and-play.

The important thing, in my studio life, is to just understand the music being recorded, in order to point out mistakes quickly in playback instead of having the musicians unplug and come to the control room. It's all a question of keeping the work rhythm in a session.

Is it vital, as a sound engineer? No. Just a plus.

It's the same thing in every job. You can be a computer tech in life, but it helps damn well if you have talents in human psychology in order to calm and comfort folks who've just lost their hard drives. If not you open the door to being the cause of their problems. heh Just like your studio can be seen as a place that sounds bad if many records come out with mistakes that could have been prevented.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

Yes. I've played French horn since the 6th grade and studied that in college. Being proficient on that particular instrument has some useful side effects, because we're expected to read treble and bass clef and do a lot of transposing (of course pianists can do those things too--I wish I hadn't quit piano lessons). I can read on guitar too, although not as well, and when I don't use it I lose it.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I can read music. Sloths can also swim. At around the same speed.

Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I can read music. Sloths can also swim. At around the same speed.
heh heh heh

I passed a sight reading test to graduate from MI over 10 years ago. I haven't read full notation since that day, mostly just chord charts now.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I can read music, i think that it could be handy when you do gig
and when you sub, but to each his own like they said, some great musicien can
read and some other can't, as long as you do the gig, reading is another tool
in your toolbox.

best regard
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

It depends on what you mean by "reading" music. I can read and write music pretty well, i.e. if you ask me to read or write out various chords, melodies or whatever I can do it without too much trouble. However, to me being able to really read music also means being able to sight read and play which I haven't been able to do with any proficiency (if ever) since taking classical piano lessons as a youngster.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Band from 5th to 12th grade.

1st chair in alto sax the entire time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search