The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD plugins how close do they sound to the real thing?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
I do hear it.....

but indeed, for the difference of dsp usage...SE is excellent
Well what do you hear?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

It's not like comparing an ART Tube MP to an Avalon 2022. In this case both sound good, and having used an LA-2A and the UAD plug-in this month on different things... I still wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what the differences unless I A/B them. I lagree with what a lot of people are saying, substitution of either in a mix isn't going to make or break it.

people i know who have done the A/B between 1176 hardware vs. software have told me there is very little appreciable difference.

it's the big elephant in the room most engineers don't like talking about to much.
Old 8th February 2007
I have a liquid mix and like it a lot. Very handy when you're out on the road. The UAD is a different beast though. Both are really nice.
Old 8th February 2007
look at it this way. if you listen to the plugin and its corresponding hardware side by side soloed in the track you may find slight differences. however these differences are usually not at all noticeable once put in the context of the entire mix.

for example you might be able to hear the 1176 acting so slightly different on a bass track by itself but when put in with all the other instruments in a mix it sounds like a 1176.

they model the hardware down to the resistor, the space echo even self oscillates. the plugins are by the far the best out there. buy the xpander.
Old 8th February 2007
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark View Post
look at it this way. if you listen to the plugin and its corresponding hardware side by side soloed in the track you may find slight differences. however these differences are usually not at all noticeable once put in the context of the entire mix.

for example you might be able to hear the 1176 acting so slightly different on a bass track by itself but when put in with all the other instruments in a mix it sounds like a 1176.
Not in my world.

I have been using the UAD stuff since it was about 5 minutes outta beta.

Still am. Useful software, I have almost everything they have ever made.

Doesn't change one thing.

I can, in about 90 seconds or less... get an original UREI 1176LN to go to a place on a snare drum IN MIX TOTALITY(The EXACT OPPOSITE of what you are claiming), that I can NEVER, NEVER get it to go to in a million years of Sundays on a UAD card.

NEVER. EVER. GO. THERE. NEVER. Try for hours. Total bedlam and frustration. Doom Village. Kill self. Much hate.

So sorry... but I have to TOTALLY, UTTERLY, COMPLETELY DISAGREE.

It is in the BIG PICTURE where the UAD plug-in's get HAMMERED by the real McCoy...

At least on my gear... wherever and whenever I have the possibility for 'head to head' comparisons. Which is quite a few of the "modeled devices", both dynamic and time domain. I have a bunch of the UAD cards across the rooms in my shop, and I ALWAYS both buy any duplicitous UAD offerings AND do EXHAUSTIVE comparisons over months and months of mixing to see if it changes, or I'm going crazy.

Anybody else's rig I can't speak for.

Once again. LOVE a lot of the UAD stuff. Use it all the time. Not like 'real McCoy'. Not yet. Would love to sell all hardware and go golfing. No can do. Yet.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 9th February 2007
ok it depends on the application. i think the plugin can get the more common hardware settings down, but when it comes to say pushing the hardware unit real hard or different irregular functions it may not do the job. although the all-buttons mode sounds pretty nice.

what setting are you talking about on the 1176 for snare that it cannot match? extreme settings or just slight gain reduction? or overall sound?
Old 12th February 2007
Here for the gear

UAD Question

I'm considering getting the UAD but they posted this notice under "Known UAD Issues on G5 Systems"

"Firewire and USB audio interfaces may not perform as well as PCI-based audio interfaces. High host loads and/or low UAD DSP loads may result."

I have a Digi002r and since it's firewire, I'd like to know if the UAD is a wise choice in lite of this warning. Has anybody experienced poor performance of UAD with the Digi002r?

Thanks!

mr c
Old 24th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
OH boy this ought to be good ........ are you trying to start a fight or are you serious heh
I can't remember the name of the member but there is a thread somewhere on this board comparing the Focusrite Liquid Mix to some of the original hardware and that should give you a pretty good idea of how close the modelling technology has come.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ite+Liquid+Mix
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

I think the UAD plugins sound like plugins. I don't have the neve stuff so I can't go there. But the compressors get alot of mention and I haven't been able to make them sound "analog". They sound different to other itb compressors. They even sound better than some of them.

Maybe we all have different perceptions of what analog sound is. Mine doesn't include the UAD plugs.
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

i love the uad plugs but my biggest problem was watching the plug too much when i tweak. after turning the plug on & off i realized i was using my eyes more than my ears. i use my mackie control now to tweak plugs
(as much as possible) and i try not to show the plug on my monitor. kind of a hardware approach (hands on knobs not a mouse) i guess but it works!!
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturcee View Post
I'm considering getting the UAD but they posted this notice under "Known UAD Issues on G5 Systems"

"Firewire and USB audio interfaces may not perform as well as PCI-based audio interfaces. High host loads and/or low UAD DSP loads may result."

I have a Digi002r and since it's firewire, I'd like to know if the UAD is a wise choice in lite of this warning. Has anybody experienced poor performance of UAD with the Digi002r?
I have a UAD-1 with a MOTU 828mkII and it works fine with my G5.

However, be aware that you lose the ability to put your G5 to deep sleep (all fans off) if you install the UAD-1 and your operating system is higher than 10.4.2. (And no Mac Pro can sleep with it installed either - probably because they require higher versions of 10.4?...)
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

I too am considering getting 1 UAD card,
but I'm mainly concerned with the plug ins instances;
it's so low!
I'd like in a typical mix to have the Plate rev as my send effect 1, then the dream verb as the two, I need at least one 1176 on the drums group, plus eq and compression on a lot of channels.
It turns me down a bit when I read you can only have 4 instances of Plate 140, or 3 neve 1081!
That means with one card you have to print the effects all the time,
unless I didn't get it, the plug ins instances shown on the UA site are for one plug in at a time, I mean 4 Plate rev. and nothing else?
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
I too am considering getting 1 UAD card,
but I'm mainly concerned with the plug ins instances;
it's so low!
I'd like in a typical mix to have the Plate rev as my send effect 1, then the dream verb as the two, I need at least one 1176 on the drums group, plus eq and compression on a lot of channels.
It turns me down a bit when I read you can only have 4 instances of Plate 140, or 3 neve 1081!
That means with one card you have to print the effects all the time,
unless I didn't get it, the plug ins instances shown on the UA site are for one plug in at a time, I mean 4 Plate rev. and nothing else?
Yes, you are correct. Compared to native power these days, all external-DSP devices are a joke. I'd also skip the dreamverb, it's not that good. Plate 140 is wonderful, tho.

Also, before you get a UAD card, you should look around and see if it'll work with your current system build. The UAD-1 card doesn't work with a lot of motherboards/system configs. Another great feature of external-DSP devices.

P.S. The UAD-1 cards sound "along the same lines" as some of the outboard it attempts to emulate, but doesn't come close in my opinion. Definately usable, tho.
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Also, before you get a UAD card, you should look around and see if it'll work with your current system build. The UAD-1 card doesn't work with a lot of motherboards/system configs. Another great feature of external-DSP devices.

P.S. The UAD-1 cards sound "along the same lines" as some of the outboard it attempts to emulate, but doesn't come close in my opinion. Definately usable, tho.
Well for me it will only be an improvement coming from tc native bundle, Waves for the best that I have, and having just one hardware comp and no eq, I guess it 's an easy choice.
As for my system, it's the latest generation G5 2x2.3ghz running OS 10.4.6 with a Motu 896hd and Aurora 8 for conversion.
Old 25th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
...... after turning the plug on & off i realized i was using my eyes more than my ears...
heh
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

It's as simple as this
Uad = is a toy and is for people who do music as a hobby

Hardware= What the professionals use

Their ok for project studio use...but def not for commercial use

i have a 13k vocal signal chain, im not gonna have it get degraded by a plugin
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
Would love to sell all hardware and go golfing. No can do. Yet.
hmmm, I'll swap you an 1176 for 2 rounds at my neighbours place here;
http://www.royalbirkdale.com/

heh
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
It's as simple as this

Ha Ha!

What about people who make records with these plugins?
It's not the equipment you use that make YOU a professional,
there many people using professional gear and getting unprofessional results..
Old 25th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's as simple as this

Hee hee, apparently you've never seen the Charles Dye DVD Is he not a professional?

Anyhoo, I am NOT a "professional" I simply can't afford to be. Reluctantly I recently grabbed the NEVE bundle because they had a promotion that was too good to pass up.

That said, I had a mix I was struggling with which I primarily was using waves SSL on. I got fed up with tweaking it and started over. I used the Neve1081 as my main track EQ. Now granted I Had a better plan this time around approaching the mix, because I had more direction, but there was a BIG difference from before. I'm not saying the UAD Neve is better (Though more my taste) than the Waves SSL, but it certainly worked better on this mix.

The only thing that bites is having to freeze practically every track, slows down the workflow a bit.
Old 25th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Funny, I've seen more than a few hobbyists with more money than sense, with loads of hardware and vintage guitars etc with no clue of how to use these tools...I myself am a fulltime professional songwriter and producer who at this point has only managed to accumulate a humble rack containing a few choice items, with those and a few favourite plugins I can arrange a hell of a tune and cut a great record. But I'm not selling my gear or relying on it to get me work, I rely on the quality of my work and the fact that I'm apparently an inspiring collaborator to keep me in bussiness.
Old 25th March 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's as simple as this

true professionals make what they have work, even if it is a plugin. if you weren't able to get anything except degraded audio from a uad card then fine, but you certainly must know that people are using these things everyday and getting the professional results that you weren't able to.
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's as simple as this

Dude, you are WAY too stuck up on your high-end-only-horse. Signal chain is like 10% of the puzzle. I have worked in several pro studios (releasing commerical work mind you) that used amp simulators, software fx plugins, and the records sounded GREAT. Most professionals use these plugs for the improvement in their workflow (i.e. total recall).

Get a clue!
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowes View Post

Dude, you are WAY too stuck up on your high-end-only-horse. Signal chain is like 10% of the puzzle. I have worked in several pro studios (releasing commerical work mind you) that used amp simulators, software fx plugins, and the records sounded GREAT. Most professionals use these plugs for the improvement in their workflow (i.e. total recall).

Get a clue!

The biggest studio in town here uses plugins all the time....they have a Neve 80 serie console.
Old 25th March 2007
NL5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well what do you hear?
I may be wrong, but I believe the SE version forgoes the transformer emulation - which IMHO is half the reason to use the 1176. MMmmmmmmm Transformers!
Old 25th March 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendecido View Post
if these plugins are in the same league or even in the same ballpark thats good enough.
They're not in the same league, but they're in the same ballpark, except they're just watching the game from the stands, not playing in it.
Old 25th March 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
As for my system, it's the latest generation G5 2x2.3ghz running OS 10.4.6 with a Motu 896hd and Aurora 8 for conversion.
Be aware that if your G5 has PCI-X slots (as opposed to regular PCI and PCI-e), a UAD-1 card will run less instances of their more dsp intensive (better) plug-ins. So much fewer that it may not be worth it.

See the dsp usage chart for "8131 range" (which means PCI-X) here:

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2005/august/index7.html

You can tell if your G5 is a PCI or PCI-X model by removing the door to the case and reading the end of the label where the serial no. is. The serial no. is not on the door, but on the bottom edge of the computer's frame.
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Be aware that if your G5 has PCI-X slots (as opposed to regular PCI and PCI-e), a UAD-1 card will run less instances of their more dsp intensive (better) plug-ins. So much fewer that it may not be worth it.

See the dsp usage chart for "8131 range" (which means PCI-X) here:

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2005/august/index7.html

You can tell if your G5 is a PCI or PCI-X model by removing the door to the case and reading the end of the label where the serial no. is. The serial no. is not on the door, but on the bottom edge of the computer's frame.
Thanks for the info, I 'm pretty sure and I hope that it's PCie,
will check tomorrow.
Old 25th March 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acko View Post
Funny, I've seen more than a few hobbyists with more money than sense, with loads of hardware and vintage guitars etc with no clue of how to use these tools...I myself am a fulltime professional songwriter and producer who at this point has only managed to accumulate a humble rack containing a few choice items, with those and a few favourite plugins I can arrange a hell of a tune and cut a great record. But I'm not selling my gear or relying on it to get me work, I rely on the quality of my work and the fact that I'm apparently an inspiring collaborator to keep me in bussiness.
Yeah, not that you'd wanna sound arrogant or anything.... cool man. thumbsup
Old 25th March 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I 'm pretty sure and I hope that it's PCie,
will check tomorrow.
It's much easier to tell if your G5 is PCI-e. If it's a MacIntel (all of which are quad core), it's PCI-e. Period.
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
It's much easier to tell if your G5 is PCI-e. If it's a MacIntel (all of which are quad core), it's PCI-e. Period.
Itis not a Mac Intel, it's the late G5 before the Mac Intel, just checked the Apple specs on their site and it mentions three PCI express slots so I guess it' s ok.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search