The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Casting for a TV Show
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Casting for a TV Show

My band received a call last night informing us that there is an opportunity for us to cast for a nationally syndicated (sp?) TV show filmed in our area.

For details, all I know is they're lookng for a local band to do 1 of 3 things.

1) Act as a band playing our own music in a nightclub for a scene in the show.

2) Act as a band playing some other music in a nightclub for a scene in the show.

3) Don't get the screen rolls, but possibility that our demo could be liked enough to become a part of the soundtrack for an episode. (we just completed tracking on our first album this week).

We think this is a great opportunity, but we're really green when it comes to this side of the business.

Could anyone throw some feedback at me on this? Right now, our heads are spinning with copyright concerns, concerns that we'll sign a contract & end up casting as some goofy letter-jacket wearing high school prom thing, or whatever.....there's so much we don't know.........we really don't know what to think at this point.

So far, all we have submitted is maybe a 2 minute video compilation so they could get a taste of our style / image for review.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

hire a lawyer for consulting shouldnt cost to much.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

The lawyer is definitely an option that we were considering, but we don't have a lot of money to play with.

If a lawyer is the only way to go, I'm assuming an entertainment lawyer is what we're looking for? I ask this, as we're in Hawaii and I'm having a particularly rough time finding anyone that practices entertainment law out here.
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

Here in Vegas my family deals with production companies a bit. Check out agents. Check with the local musicians union and/or actors union so you at least try and get close to scale for the performances. The production company may try and just use ya as extras (paid extras) as your getting publicity through them. Small production companies run a very tight budget. A paying gig is a paying gig, if you want too much or are too difficult to work with, they'll just grab another band. They can even get extras to hold insturments and lip sync. It's a cut throat business and unless your a name act there's always someone who will do it cheaper, just to get on camera. The trick is to see if you can get in good with them (but not rip yourself off) and turn it into other referal work. Make sure you really read before you sign so you only give them the license rights to use your material and use your likeness, but they don't own it or your band AND if you can get a credit for it. That's a bit extra to own your name. Make sure you keep any confidentiality clause you sign. If you blow the plot of the show and tick them off it can get really ugly. I've done a little production work, my oldest does extra work, and my youngest is a supervisor/fabricator for Chriss Angel plus other production work, so I'm not just shooting in the dark here.
Good luck.

Last edited by StinkMonkey; 8th February 2007 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: add on
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

They'll probably just present you with a standard release form.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks so far for everyone that has replied

I'm glad to see that all of the reading we've done has led our assumptions down the right path. The amplifying information given so far is great!

If I may ask another question:

Is there any reason why we SHOULDN'T do this? For instance, is there anything bad about going in as just a band...basically being actors "performing" some other music?

I think our general opinion of it is that it would be akin to "selling out" or whatever. However, we're really unclear as to how this would be portrayed say on a one-sheet or bio that anyone else may look at in the future.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdrmr View Post
Thanks so far for everyone that has replied

I'm glad to see that all of the reading we've done has led our assumptions down the right path. The amplifying information given so far is great!

If I may ask another question:

Is there any reason why we SHOULDN'T do this? For instance, is there anything bad about going in as just a band...basically being actors "performing" some other music?

I think our general opinion of it is that it would be akin to "selling out" or whatever. However, we're really unclear as to how this would be portrayed say on a one-sheet or bio that anyone else may look at in the future.
let me just say first off that the first time a lot of people heard of the flaming lips was when they appeared on beverly hills 90210 in 1995 or so. they played at the...well, whatever the name of that club was that tiffany amber theissen ran (the peach pit?).

and i'm reminded of jerry garcia's reply when asked ca. 1970 whether the dead were "selling out." jerry said, "sell out? sell out! where do i sign?"

i think the whole idea of selling out was invented by people who work in jobs they hate and hence sell out every minute of every working day. as for fellow artists, the real ones know that there are a million things you need to do to work towards making a living. samuel beckett wrote small-time book reviews and such for any publication he could get work from until waiting for godot blew up improbably in a small prouction and enabled him to work solely on his "own" writing when he was in his 40s (and even then he kept up the book reviews, etc., because he just couldn't get out of the habit of taking anything out of necessity).

nabokov wasn't able to make a living solely off his writing (he taught and did translations) until "lolita" became huge, partly through the accident of an obscenity scandal.

some of the most famous artists are also the ones who would hardly ever turn down a gig. chuck berry, for example.

everyone who really knows what's what knows that you have to assess and often grab every opportunity that comes your way--for income, exposure, what-have-you. and anyone who doesn't understand that "overnight success" means years and years of hard work plus one fortunate case of talent meeting opportunity (even with people who become stars in their teens--look at britney spears and justin timberlake: while other kids were playing videogames, they were taking voice and dance lessons and working on tv)...well, anyone who doesn't know that won't be in a position to affect your career anyway.

please don't get me wrong--i am in total agreement that integrity is important, and definitely a key concern to have in mind when appearing on television in any context. and if there's something they want you to do/wear that you're not comfortable with, you should refuse, politely but firmly, while perhaps (also politely) suggesting an alternative.

but i think a television appearance and (if it happens) having a song appear in an episode can only be a plus in the eyes of a record company, management company, etc. and as someone above mentioned, you NEVER know where something like this leads. if it happens, yes, it very well be a one-time thing that doesn't lead to anything else. BUT i actually think it's a good sign that the prod. co. wants a real band to play a band...and if you're a pleasure to deal with, if you get along with people there, if you're professional--you stand a good chance of going in there mental/actual rolodex. these people are, like all of us, busy as hell...and next time they need a band/music (or one of their colleagues does) they likely won't try to re-invent the wheel but instead call on the contacts they already have--the ones they liked working with.

just a tip--if you do it, bring a bunch of cds and, once your scenes are shot, thank what crew/cast/production staff/p.a.'s you can without interrupting their work flow and give them a cd personally...and for anyone who seems too busy, just leave a bunch with a p.a. and tell them they're for those people.

good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

"Selling out" is all in the eye of the beholder.

Having intregrity means never having to question it. It shouldn't phase you at all as to how you're perceived.

Phyllis Diller was noted for never turning down any job. She took 'em all.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there any reason why we SHOULDN'T do this?

If they ask you for $$, or if they ask for the complete release of your material. The latter can be negotiated of course...
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Think about this...

50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

I've seen TOO many bands and musicians get all lawyered up and think they've hit it big time and bog things down in paranoid business dealings that make you more of a hassle to deal with than its worth.

Don't get me wrong, make sure you don't get ripped off, but remember the big pitcure, exposure is worth more than anything right now.

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks to everyone that replied so far!

We are still waiting to hear if we were selected or not, but it should be within a day or so!

I'm amazed at some of the information posted......great stuff!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks to everyone that replied so far!

We are still waiting to hear if we were selected or not, but it should be within a day or so!

I'm amazed at some of the information posted......great stuff!
If they ask you for money or try to sell you acting lessons or an actor's workshop the it's a scam. And if they want you to be on Zach and Cody it's definitely a scam.

Good luck!

-R
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
If they ask you for money or try to sell you acting lessons or an actor's workshop the it's a scam. And if they want you to be on Zach and Cody it's definitely a scam.

Good luck!

-R
Haha....thanks!

Fortunately, none of that has happened yet. I'll definitely report back here when we find out either way.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

I've seen TOO many bands and musicians get all lawyered up and think they've hit it big time and bog things down in paranoid business dealings that make you more of a hassle to deal with than its worth.

Don't get me wrong, make sure you don't get ripped off, but remember the big pitcure, exposure is worth more than anything right now.

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
briliant!
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The lawyer is definitely an option that we were considering, but we don't have a lot of money to play with.

If a lawyer is the only way to go, I'm assuming an entertainment lawyer is what we're looking for? I ask this, as we're in Hawaii and I'm having a particularly rough time finding anyone that practices entertainment law out here.

yes, you must get a lawyer. It won't cost too much, it will be worth it.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Look what being in "The Mask" did for Royal Crown Revue. They're not that well know now but that movie took them from a local LA band playing an obscure style of music to being a money making, nationally touring band for nearly 10 years, with songs placed in commercials, movies etc., & pretty much launched the whole 90's swing craze.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I would only use a lawyer for consulting

get your ducks in a row then bring all your ducks to a lawyer

just hire him or her for advise

should not cost more than 200. clams

Dirty Halo has a very valid point

"try not to get to big for your shorts!"
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

That's largely why I wanted to ask the questions here.

The last thing we want to do is over-react on this and make ourselves a pain in the ass to work with. (if it even comes through...should hear back early next week).

We have a great reputation with promoters out here as being good at what we do as well as being professional, generous, helpful and organized. We're always positive, and always going at everything with enthusiasm that isn't seen from many (if ANY) bands out here.

we know we're not owed anything, we don't expect things to happen. We just work our asses off 24/7 and stay humble hoping that the hard work will pay off. This business is a sales business when you break it down.....and nobody likes an arrogant, pushy, in your face salesman.

I think as long as we use places like this with people like you all that are willing to spend the time, being smart & asking the questions will hopefully keep us from shooting ourselves in the foot in a moment of "i've got it...we know what we're doing" comfort.

I can't thank everybody enough for the replies. I forwarded this thread onto everyone in my band & it's helped get us on the same page rather quickly. I think we were CLOSE to that page, but hearing it from everyone else is always so much better than relying on instinct & gut reactions to assume our way through the situation.

As I promised in my last reply. I'll post the results here when we find out. I'm sure if the deal goes through I'll have a lot more questions!
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

http://www.copyright.com/

if you live in the LA area the CCC is haveing a lunch real soon

that place will be swiming with Entertainment lawyers
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3C9Bng7NPPY

just make sure you have the touch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search