AKG K 240 Studio
30 Votes - 36.14%
other
11 Votes - 13.25%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Sony MDR-7506 vs AKG K 240 Studio

In the red corner The Sony MDR-7506....applause!!

In the blue corner The AKG K 240 Studio....applause!!

Which do you prefer in the studio, or do you prefer something else?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear
I think the Sony headphones have overhyped bass.
Old 7th February 2007
they are both good for different things. the AKGs are much more flat than the sonys but the sonys can be much louder than the AKGs. the sonys can also put a lot of bleed into the mics.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

personally love my beyer dt-250
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I like the sony's. The only complaint I have is that the earpiece covers tear too easily.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

a vocalist once complained that everything sounded way too distant with akg 240(m)...plugged the sony's in and she was much happier. i like that you can fold one earphone out too.
on the other hand, the akg's are sooo comfortable...forget you're wearing 'em. very light and nice.
i know with the m's it takes a helluva lot of power to really drive them though, and they are open air...so for tracking, i'd go with the sony's. i don't really find the bass on the 7506's overly hyped like say...mdr v600's, but to my ear, the mids sound overpronounced and a little harsh.

i usually check mixes with both at some point.

kell
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

someone said the sony's tend to bleed into mics. Aren't the AKG's semi-open? woudln't they bleed more than the sony's which are totally closed?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

I don't have much experience with the sony's.. the 240's I find myself using all the time in various places. I'm never going to buy a pair. They fatigue my ears so fast. I can mix for 4 hours straight on monitors and my ears will feel great, I can listen to a mix for 4 minutes in the 240's and my ears are fried. It's not that I'm cranking the volume either... I'm pretty particular about monitoring around 70-80 db spl but hardly ever more... especially with cans. Something about the sound just kills my ears and gives me a headache. The beyers have been much better for me. I really want to try out the sony's soon.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

I like the Sony's because (a) I'm familiar with them, and (b) they have the bass and upper frequency extension necessary for accurate monitoring.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

k240's
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidtn View Post
someone said the sony's tend to bleed into mics. Aren't the AKG's semi-open? woudln't they bleed more than the sony's which are totally closed?
Yeah I think they do. I would never give a vocalist the 240's to use, they bleed way too much. Especially when there is a loud click track going on.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidtn View Post
Sony MDR-7506... AKG K 240 Studio... Which do you prefer in the studio, or do you prefer something else?
I don't think you'll get a valuable answer to your question unless you're more specific. "In the studio" can include a number of different uses not all of which would throw up the same recommendations.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

AKG 240 are open headphones that sound brilliant but suck for tracking because of bleed. I have the AKG240DF. My best pari of open headphone. The sonys are nasty but great for stuff like tracking drums and whatnot.

Sennheiser HD280s are what you are looking for I think.
Old 8th February 2007
i like 7506s. mine have lasted about 4-5 years now and used almost everyday. although the ear foam does rip apart very quickly.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I had the 7506 for many years and loved them (mostly live sound). I bought a couple more pairs a year or so ago and they sound bright and harsh. Anyone else find this to be the case? At first I thought they needed to be broken in but it has not

The two pairs of 240's still sound great. Clients (and I) love the way my mixes sound in them.

I have been looking for a good pair of closed back headphones that will not break the bank. Something that will work better for tracking.

Jason
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict
k270
Old 9th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
I like the Sony's because (a) I'm familiar with them, and (b) they have the bass and upper frequency extension necessary for accurate monitoring.
I agree with this. I use them in the studio and live and I always now where I am with them.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

How about the 7509's. I think they take 7506's up a notch. More iso and more all around everything. They sound very un-hyped and just plain louder. What do you guys think?
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have both. I think it's a personal preference and I MUCH prefer the Sonys.
Old 9th February 2007
AKG's are cloudy in the tops. I don't care for the 7506's. I still use the V6's. Sony is making them again. I buy them at Fry's for $89.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 11th February 2007
I love the 7509. To me they do sound hyped but they are great for isolation and volume and because they seem scooped you can get fairly good bass response.
Old 11th February 2007

i agree with almost everyone, so far.

i find the sony's to be too bright, in addition to having hyped bass.

i used to use the 7506s all the time, and then, on top of bleeding problems,
they started to burn my ears out.

however, the 240s ARE just a bit too cloudy in the higher register,
and these days, i'm having a harder time with bass perception.

also, the little metal disks on the 240s are always coming off.

still, these days, i prefer the 240s, for almost everything,
including tracking my own vocals and guitar.

many people i've worked with, especially younger rock, r&b and hip hop musicians,
prefer the sony's, because they seem to cut and punch more, in general.

Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

7506 all the way

I use the 7506's all the time and have for years now. I used to have a crappy setup in my iso booths and would forget they were plugged in after tracking. I would be blasting them for hours while mixing in the mix room forgetting that they were on in the iso booths. Never had one die that way ever. They can take a punch.

However! they are made like junk and I'm sure Sony knows this. I have owned over ten pair and watched them die from tearing ear pieces to bad shorts in the cables, to left and right sides breaking off, mostly from musicians in the studio that don't know how to handle gear, but either way they are made like crap, but they are great so I kept buying them because people love them and so do I.

I have a few 240's and a pair of 270's I love that they shut off when you take them off your head, but they sound distant and distort, they are very comfortable, but I don't like how they sound you they never get used. I can only think of one person that ever asked for them, so I kept them around.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

there are several akg 240s of those the 240df which is cancelled now is a fabulous headphone. Mine are tucked away for safe keeping as I believe they are not made anymore. Straight headphone cable, laid back sound and just freakin perfect. They sound like etymotic er4s's. I can nail simple mixes on mine every time.

but they arent closed headphone so for tracking they probably bite. I would get the closed back sennheisers 580 s? For tracking or maybe anything but 7506s. I do all my drum tracking with sony mdr-v900. They are cadillacs for closed ear stuff but I would still love to audition sennheisers cans. I have never heard a pair of sennheisers cans that I don't love.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Don't know much about the AKG's but I have used 7506's for a very long time in the video world where, because of their compact size are a standard for camera operators who need a quick set of cans for monitoring from the camera.

I find them good for basic tracking, but I find them difficult to use for mixing. I mix on A7's and need a set of cans with a good warm bottom end to hear places the A7's just can't go.

They bleed like a Hemophiliac when pushed. We have actually stopped turning tape on a quiet set because a cameraman was cranking them up and distracting the talent.

As for ear cup tearing. Use them a lot and they are going to look like your dog chewed on them. There is a company who makes very nice cloth ear cup covers for them. I have them on all my 7506's. It makes them comfy to wear and keeps you from shredding the cups. You can get them through B&H photo out of NYC.

I'll have to disagree with the other post about the ability of 7506's to take a beating. We have been running many pairs of these phones for years in run and gun field video work and they get the living sh*t beat out of them by our camera guys. Maybe were just lucky, but we have never had to repair or replace one set.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search