The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintech 1272
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Vintech 1272

I have heard that this is a hated piece around here, but I don't care...I want to know more about it...If you hate it, please speak up...with good reasons of course. If you like it, please do the same.

I have heard the 1272 on kick/snare many times, and am always impressed. I have not heard it on vocals/acoustic/anything else. I am afraid that it will be too dark for these apps. I am looking to add a warm, 2 channel mic pre to my arsenal. What do you guys think about this piece?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

good question, le bump !!!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I had one for a few years. Kinda dark & slow. If these things were $500
instead of $1300, they'd be a little more worthwhile. It was alright on some
vocals and guitars, didn't like it on drums at all. For the price, there are way
better options.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

i like mine, i use it on a lot of things.
i really like it on a voice that is a little thin, it can really beef things up.
Old 7th February 2007
I had one and sold it because I needed the $ I kinda regret it because I like recording bass guitar and synths through it.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
I had one for a few years. Kinda dark & slow. If these things were $500
instead of $1300, they'd be a little more worthwhile. It was alright on some
vocals and guitars, didn't like it on drums at all. For the price, there are way
better options.
Like what? I as considering one but I'm not really sold yet. Any ideas?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Funny, those of us that do or have owned one sound about the same....

I had one and really liked it on kick drum, bass and guitars. But, I also had a rack of API pres and they were the go to pres for everything. The vintechs are nice, but if i were to buy again and needed two channels for $1300, I'd get API.

later,

m
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Hi,

I have a Vintech 1272. I bought it last year in May. Dallas moded it a month later with the so called "air-mod".
Before it wasn't picking up high end as much. Since the "air-mod" it sounds fantastic. I record guitars primarily - bass, electric (miced amps), electric direct (thru podxt), and nylon stringed miced.
Dallas provides great support - he did the mod for free. Also he gave me some useful tips how to achieve best results with 1272.

I often receive sessions recorded to 002 pres, Focusrite(not sure the model), Millennia, etc. The tracks recorded thru 002 pres have a cloud, f-rite - no character/weak, Millennia are the best when it comes to clean sound. There were sessions recorded with other pres which I am not aware of. I guess I am trying to say that the recorded material with 1272 sits well in the mix besides sounding good on its own.

Peace!
Old 7th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like what? I as considering one but I'm not really sold yet. Any ideas?
Trident S-20.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I used a Vintech 1272 to record this album a number of years back:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/fadedmusic2

I used it on vocals, guitars, kick and snare, bass, pretty much everything, due to it being my only decent pre available at the time.

If you want to take a listen to get an idea of what it sounds like...

It's an ok pre, but I eventually got rid of it, because I don't really think it was worth $1000+
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post
Yeah, I read your pissing thread. I haven't tried that Vintech unit, but I think that calling crap Focusrite or Preasonus products is not fair.

I've worked with some Red units and owned the Red's EQ. They are good pieces. By the way, it looked outstanding. I know some respectfull engineers that swear by them. I also owned a Presonus MP20. For $500 is a bargain. A very nice pre for home studios. I still misses it for tracking percussion.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Yeah, I read your pissing thread. I haven't tried that Vintech unit, but I think that calling crap Focusrite or Preasonus products is not fair.

I've worked with some Red units and owned the Red's EQ. They are good pieces. By the way, it looked outstanding. I know some respectfull engineers that swear by them. I also owned a Presonus MP20. For $500 is a bargain. A very nice pre for home studios. I still misses it for tracking percussion.
It was just my opinion.

If you agree with everything I say, then you are redundant.

I encourage your differing opinions, as I'm sure you do mine.

Peace.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Gdim;1117553]Hi,

I have a Vintech 1272. I bought it last year in May. Dallas moded it a month later with the so called "air-mod".

Dallas provides great support - he did the mod for free. Also he gave me some useful tips how to achieve best results with 1272.

/QUOTE]

this sounds intriguing-- as sometimes I'm wondering about the high end on this unit--also can you share his thoughts on useful tips?

I read Geoff Tanner or someone else say that it's best to run the output full up on these.....so I try to do this whenever possible.

I love this box--tracked OH with an MP2NV and kik snr thru Vintech 1272 and drums were much more massive than my usual api scenario...
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post
It was just my opinion.

If you agree with everything I say, then you are redundant.

I encourage your differing opinions, as I'm sure you do mine.

Peace.
Who said you cannot post your view?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

I recently purchased the 1272. I absolutely love it on mic;ed gutar cab. I tried it on OH's, but I don't think I like it. It think I will try it on the kick and snare next.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Vintech 1272

Well, from all the peanuts thrown over Vintech models, I'd have to say there's 2 schools of thought.

1) Does it sound like a Neve?

and

2) Does it sound pleasing to the ear?

For a $1000, if you're looking to buy a Neve...Well, I don't really know what to tell you. However, If you want a cool, solid, dark sounding pre, the Vintech 1272 is pretty cool.

I don't think I would buy a stack of them, but to add a cool boost on a budget, the Vintech 1272 is not a bad choice as a utility pre for electric and strong percussive instruments like floor/kick drums and piano.

And if you end up disagreeing with that opinion, Vintech is respectable enough to get your money back on a re-sale in following months.

Since you're looking for something more warm/feathery for vocals and lighter, airy instruments, I would probably recommend the Demeter VTMP-2a tube pre if you can find one used. I think they sell for under a grand on eBay.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

I just ordered one. If it's not up to par after I rack it and try it extensively, I'll return it. The typcial used price for a 1272 is $1,000 per Ebay and the classified boards, new they are $1,200-ish. I decided to spend the extra $200 on a new one and have the option of returning it if I don't like it (which I would suggest you do as well).

I think boards are a great learning tool, but when take others opinions too seriously it tends to cloud judgment (I'm guilty of this as much as the next guy, but I'm learning not to let it affect me as much).

Best advice: Buy one and listen with your ears, not your eyes.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

i use my dual 72 all the time on electric guitars.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Well, from all the peanuts thrown over Vintech models, I'd have to say there's 2 schools of thought.

1) Does it sound like a Neve?

and

2) Does it sound pleasing to the ear?
I may be stating the obvious here, but the first question is invalid in the case of the Vintech 1272. If one is discussing the Vintech Dual 72, one would not be able to lump it into a discussion about all of the other Vintech models those would include the X73, X73i, X81, 473, and 273. The Vintech 1272 is indeed a black sheep of the Vintech family. And when asking does the Vintech 1272 sound like a Neve, the obvious answer would be of course not. Show me a real Neve 1272 preamp manufactured by Neve to compare it to. It would have to be described as a Neve inspired preamp, just like every other 'Neve' 1272.

The answer to the second query of course is subjective. In the scheme of things regarding professional high-end preamps it definitely more than holds it's own.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

First...I REALLY don't care if I buy this thing and it doesn't sound like a NEVE.

I just care about how it sounds...good, bad; dark, bright; slow, fast; ect...

I care about what it is in ITSELF, not compared to a Neve 10XXXXX

jeez...neve, who cares
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post

For a $1000, if you're looking to buy a Neve...Well, I don't really know what to tell you.
I do. Save up another $139.00

http://www.brentaverill.com/products....asp?itemnum=1

or…

Save up another $75.00

http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivmp1.html

or…

compromise.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search