The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
soundcraft TS24
Old 7th February 2007
soundcraft TS24

I'm getting one for really cheap. all working a couple of mute switches are scratchy but all is well. How do these boards sound?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I liked mine when I had it. Big sounding. NOT neutral! Those switches are a PITA though. Best to get them replaced (or at least the important and bad ones) and also get the power supply checked and it should do years of service.

You can download the manuals online from soundcraft btw
Old 7th February 2007
Ooh big sounding? What about the pres would they compare to anything out now?
I just went and checked it out. It had an audio upgrades sticker on it. I asked if Jim Williams modded it. He said Mike Fuller owned it and he got the master section redone by Jim. The power supply needs work and it's missing a few knobs and some of the bulbs are burned out but easy to replace. $1000 and it's mine. He was tracking an album with it so it's in working order but it just needs a little TLC.

You guys think it's a good deal? I mean a grand isn't much. I was thinking about mixing/summing out of my DA instead of in the box or even getting rid of my folcrom which almost costs as much as the board.
Old 7th February 2007
Any other info would rock.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

$1000.00 ?????
You a$$hole! I WANT IT!

Seriously, though...

I mixed about thirty or so nationwide radio shows with live major label baby bands and a few biggies like Metallica on a TS24 and I had no issues.
The power supply did smoke on the first gig, but the tech replaced a voltage recitifier right before show time and we were able to do the broadcast.

I have been looking for either a TS24 or a TS 12 myself.
DAMN YOU!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Cant go wrong for $1000, go for it!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

1000 $?

Go for it

ruudman
Old 7th February 2007
How would you say the sound characteristics are on the ts24? I know it's a great deal but it opens up a can of worms. wiring the patchbay and getting the power supply up to snuff. I was thinking it would be great for summing out of my two hd192's instead using my folcrom.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

geesh...
I'll give you 2k for it.

Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

It will look more impressive than a studio monitor, that's for sure. They are a PITA as mentioned before. Like an old car. If you were a die-hard analog guy it would be a good first board. As a digital dude, .... , um..... get it for show.
Old 7th February 2007
Well the cool thing is I've saved some of my outboard gear from the past. Some of my old cheap dbx 163's (I like em on bass guitar nice and dirty) some rnc's and a few lexicon reverbs. Nothing special but i can use them in conjuction with plug ins plus I have logic control. I can sell my folcrom and my central station and that would probably pay for the board hehe. I would love to know the sound characteristic of this board. Do the channels have transformers or op amps? I'm trying to find info online but info is slim
Old 7th February 2007
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Make sure you've got room in your control room for it... thumbsup
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

OK.. the sound of it.....

They are TLO72 based consoles with a few 5534s sprinkled in (I believe.)
I'd say that it is pretty much like all of the '80s British consoles that were in the mid-priced range.

It was the flagship console of that era Soundcraft, so it is a decent sounding console.

I lump Soundcraft, Soundtrac and Trident (of that era) into the same sonic catagory.
When I was using the TS24 for the live ZRock broadcasts I had a Soundtracs CM4400 in my studio. So, I was constantly jumping back and forth between the two consoles and sonically I found them to be VERY close.
The TS24 has better EQ (at least it has more variables like variable Q.)

I had to work VERY fast doing the radio shows and I never had headroom issues with the TS24. It might have been more forgiving than the Soundracs in that regard because I could overdrive the subs and the 2 mix on the CM4400 if I wasn't carefull.

Like all consoles of that era it is transformerless from stem to stern.
It MIGHT have transformers on the 2 mix output (?)
Maybe the mic pres are less than stellar, but I tracked a Metallica show on the TS24 and mixed the tapes through my Sountracs CM4400... they released my mixes as a live EP.
So, it ain't that bad for heavy metal I guess!

I'd say it sounds pretty nuetral (80s-ish?)
I moved to a Neve 8128 right after using those consoles and they were all in the same sonic realm, too (5534s ICs there, too.)
Maybe... and I do mean MAYBE the Neve had more headroom, but I could clip it's 2 mix, too.
After a few years on the Neve 8128 I moved to a Sphere Eclipse C which is a '70s era, all discreet signal path console. THEN I could here a difference.
Truthfully, the Neve 8128, the TS24 and the Soundtracs CM4400 were NOT that different when you heard final mixes.

I am personally trying to come up with a console like that and although I have a line on an MCI536 I would really like to find a Trident or Soundcraft.

If you don't decide to buy this console I would like to buy it.
I am completely serious.

Where is it? (I won't scam you.)
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
How would you say the sound characteristics are on the ts24? I know it's a great deal but it opens up a can of worms. wiring the patchbay and getting the power supply up to snuff. I was thinking it would be great for summing out of my two hd192's instead using my folcrom.

The EQ I liked a lot. The pre's were nice to my ears. A bit light on the high end but full. The switches drove me nuts. Best bet...get a load and do them straight away.
Mine had 2 power supplies and when I got them both serviced, it ran great.
$1000... that's hard

Big and heavy (SERIOUSLY heavy)
Old 7th February 2007
Hi Danny,

Thanks for taking the time and writing all of this. The board is here in Los Angeles. The last board I had was a 32 channel soundtracs topaz and it was a fun little board. I miss using outboard compressors and EQ's plus I would rather sum through a real board vs. a folcrom. Would you say it's a pro board? Would you be happy to cut an album with it today? I have eight channels of api type pres and a few syteks and a pacifica. I figure I can combine all these pres and mix it through the soundcraft.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
OK.. the sound of it.....

Like all consoles of that era it is transformerless from stem to stern.
It MIGHT have transformers on the 2 mix output (?)
I thought the preamps had transformers...
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Nope, transformerless design

ruudman
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Soundcraft TS24 was the first BIG BOY console I had a chance to spend a lot of time with.

Its an EXTREMELY flexible mixer. Decent design, fairly well laid out, lots of options, has a decent sonic character but not overly so.

Soundcraft seems to not have the same COOL factor as Trident, but I can say I'd probably take the TS24 over an 80b from a day in/day out use.

I've got a Soundcraft 2400 that I'm trying to get up and running, I was hoping it would be in the same ballpark as a TS24, but I doubt it.
Old 7th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Ooh big sounding? What about the pres would they compare to anything out now?
I just went and checked it out. It had an audio upgrades sticker on it. I asked if Jim Williams modded it. He said Mike Fuller owned it and he got the master section redone by Jim. The power supply needs work and it's missing a few knobs and some of the bulbs are burned out but easy to replace. $1000 and it's mine. He was tracking an album with it so it's in working order but it just needs a little TLC.

You guys think it's a good deal? I mean a grand isn't much. I was thinking about mixing/summing out of my DA instead of in the box or even getting rid of my folcrom which almost costs as much as the board.
Hummm....an $80,000 console for $1000. That's a hard decision. Close to a penny on the dollar.

That master section is tweaked out pretty good. It won't sound like a stock one, it will sound bigger and more open. Yes, it will kill a stock 80 Trident and it has 85 db stereo crosstalk vs 60 db for Trident. The mic pre's suck, they could be re-designed into Trans-Amps as the last versions of TS-24's did that as well as add a bell switch to the low EQ. The EQ is very good when great EQ caps and opamps are used. The quad config of the EQ opamps is a bit of a pain but can be overcome with new adaptors allowing dual opamps to be used.

Clean out the power supplies and replace the fans. Those large filter caps can be removed and replaced with better, larger caps. Be sure you use the correct low power bulbs in the mute/solo switches as I've seen Soundcraft send out various types over the years. Some were so brite they hurt your eyes and once they pulled the windings out of a power supply torriod transformer from their excessive current draw.

The one drawback on most of these is the use of cheap carbon composition resistors. The later TS-24's switched to metal films which also helped reliability.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th February 2007
$80,000? I thought it was $35,000 still a great deal either way.

Hi Jim,

Are you the same audio upgrades in van nuys? Is it still there because I noticed it says you live in carlsbad. I would love to make this thing sing. so since the master section is done I want to get on the preamps. I was just told t hat the meter bridge goes crazy sometimes to whre it turns on when there is no signal going through the path.
I think that is a power supply issue as well. I good with a soldering gun but not good at reading schematics. I built some preamps in the past.
Old 7th February 2007
Thanks for this link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

TS 24 on ebay

There Is a TS24 on ebay with uptown for $14,000. Good deal with the uptown.
I had a TS12 that I sold and upgraded to my 80B. Soundcraft make nice middle consoles. And very versatile. But my 80B sounds much much better. You have to experience one first hand. Depth,Open and a Top end sizzle that Is just awesome for guitars. The stereo imaging Is also very wide. I noticed right away that the Pans In the stereo field where wider and had more depth. The 80B also has a design magic about It that lets you stack tracks forever. I also have been Tracking with the Mic pres(transformers!). I was using 1073 for my guitars until trying the 80B mic pres. They have a presence that stand out In a mix. This console has a SOUND that
just by design or mistake rocks!!! I love It
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

When I bought my TS24 I had enough rack pres to track a whole band (as I had a Mackie8buss before) and did not intend to use the TS24 pres at all, expecting them to be crap.

I also did not intend to mix on it much as I am quite comfortable ITB (why the hell did I buy another desk I hear you ask)

fast forward a couple of years and I am regularly using the pres, on drums on guitar's, keys (as the ts24 had a DI switch on every channel)

I still use external pres for specific applications, but I would be totally happy tracking entirely on the TS24 if I had too. If fact I quite enjoy the simplicity of just using the desk and love its eq's as well.

I also have also returned to some mixing on a desk, mostly for the simpler stuff like a live rock bands, and the quicker sessions that wont require a recall, and its beginning to become addictive, both in terms of the method and final audio result. I still have all my outboard from years ago, so I now pick and chose between ITB and analog mixing on a per project basis.

My TS24 started life in a TV production studio in the 80's and did have some mods done (like LCR monitoring) but I have had it returned to normal and love the sound of the desk. I would send the master section to Jim, but the downtime would be a killer for me, and I am not at all unhappy with the way it is.

If I had to describe the sound of the desk all I can think of is the works "rock and roll"

I recommend you visit *********************************/index.php, the soundcraft moderator there is one of the original designers of the TS24 and been a great help. also search here for Jim's previous posts with great info on the desk.

also read my recent post on PSW Fletcher's forum.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

having some trouble posting a link, forum ************* dot com
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... I'd call it a "pro" console.

I mean, there are "better" consoles, but I could mix a record on a TS24.
It just depends on what level of client you are going for.
Hell... in L.A./Hollywood there are Neve and API rooms where they don't really mix big time stuff.
You obvioulsy wouldn't compete with SSL rooms and such, but you could do a record on a TS24.

I am in a similar delima because the next thing I will probebly aquire is a large format console.
I have a Midas Venice 320 that I have borrowed from our p.a. rental stock and it sounds pretty damn good. I have a JH24, DP5.0 with several converters, the Midas, svereal vinatge compressors, a Studer A810, a 4 track TASCAM and soon an Ampex AG-440 4 track with all formats of heads. See? Too much for a spare den at the house!
I still want a permanent console and I would LOVE something like a TS24, but I'll probebly end up with an MCI.
My rig is at the house and I am thinking about building out the garage or going apesh*t and building a seperate structure.
I don't really do outside projects and I can't see having bands come to my house.
Still, it is rediculous having this rig in the house!
A TS24 would be perfect.

A friend bought the Euphonix from CalArts in Valencia which I helped him drag back to Dallas in our truck, but he is $9K into it and although he will never use it... he wants to get that $9K back. Which he won't.

Good luck with the TS24!
Old 8th February 2007
Cool! How do you guys deal with recalling stuff since there is no automation. My thing is that I will be glad to have to bring stuff up and take notes just for the real EQ alone. Is there stuff you guys do to help keep track of settings? Notes? Track sheet? Pictures?

I haven't used a real board in ages. I have a summing box which is great but I think I will have more depth and width from the master section from the board since it has been upgraded by Mr. Williams.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I always tracked and built my mix going to tape, so when I actually mixed it was going to be a one-time type of thing. In otherwords, I had most of the sound already on tape. I pretty much do this with a DAW as well.

My trick used to be putting pieces of analog tape hold down tape (the blue for tails/red for heads stuff) right next to the faders. I'd make marks there.

I pretty much realized that serious mixes were not going to happen in one pass, so I mixed in sections to analog 30 ips. I still mix back to my DAW and edft stuff together there.

I presently transfer my 2" stuff to the DAW and edit there.
I do level changes in the DAW once I get the faders set up for a mix.

Even when I had either Uptown or NECAM II I hardly ever had a mix that would go straight through. I would use it make moves, but mostly for mute stuff. I'd still mix in sections.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

for recalling a mix on a non automated desk, I just take a picture, If I get the angle right I can zoom in and see every knob position. I save the picture file right along with the session files.

the 3.2 MP cammera in my phone works fine for this. I also snap the various outbaord stuff, all takes about 2 minutes.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... several studio I have worked in had recall sheets for EVERYTHING... ven the outboard stuff.
The tapes I am presently working on were recorded and partially mixed at A&M Studios in 1994. They have awesomely cool recall sheets with the settings for the SSL and all kinds of great outboard EQs, compressors and stuff. Useless now though!

No matter what I did as far as pics went (or recall sheets) it was never the same.

Although I have certian "formulas" that I use when I mix, I'd usually start witha clean slate when I'd re-mix stuff.
It just never seemed possible to really recall a previous mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search