The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$19,000 compressor?
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Nut

$19,000 compressor?

Why is the ADL 670 $19k? Why is any single piece of gear that much other than to rip people off? I have never heard the adl 670, but come on, you want me to drop nearly 20 grand on a compressor? How good could it be? I can buy a brand new car for that much. A car. This is just a stereo compressor, how much could it really cost to build to where you are charging people 19k? I guess you only need to sell a few of 'em a year to make a living.

I truly value a lot of the gear thats being made, and the hard work the manufacturers and designers put into creating these things. But no one likes to be taken advantage of, and its hard to feel like thats not exactly whats going on with these astronomically priced pieces of gear out there!

I am aware that expressing opinions like these is not always welcome on gearslutz (wonder why that could be?). But i should be entitled to give my opinion whether it be good or bad (and most of the time its good).

So if anyone could enlighten me, what could possibly be the justification, besides profit, for charging 19 grand for a stereo compressor? It may have 20 tubes, it may have 14 transformers, it may be a near identical to the famed fairchild compressor that hardly any of us have ever actually laid fingers on, but i just dont see how the numbers add up here, and this goes for any over-priced piece if gear, not just the adl.

I just have a hard time imagining myself saving up that much money, buying this compressor, and being like "yup! That was definitely worth every penny!"

I might be a slut, but i aint no hoe.
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Apparently, it's a total re-pop of the Fairchild 670. People pay big bucks for those, so this unit is riding on those wide coat tails. They won't sell more than a few, so there has to be some healthy profit in each sale to make the R&D worthwhile. No matter how much they love gear, I'm pretty sure they made it to generate a profit.

I might buy one just for fun if I had millions of bucks laying around, but at the end of the day, I'm with you on this vintage craze business, especially when the item is a re-pop, like people paying 8 to 10 grand for some Les Paul re-issues.

At the end of the day, it's an audio compressor.
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

I have one that I use to shave a db or two on floor tom.

I have better, more expensive compressors that I use for the more important stuff.

Old 25th April 2016
Gear Head
Some people would say that the only explanation for the price is because it is a replication of the Fairchild 670, in which the original population is EXTREMELY hard to find these days. I think that getting the original model from someone would probably take a lot more money (i think maybe roughly 50,000$) so this remake is a fraction of the original's price. However, we can always use plugins like the Waves Puigchild 670.
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

I would expect a compressor at such a price to do the whole mixing & mastering in top notch quality on its own, send the master to the record plant, do my books and keep me liquid with fresh coffee in the process.

Come on. That is complete BS. In the end its used on a new Coldplay album, that is heard by people which havent the faintest clue whats going on there. Huh?? Coldplay? Is there something going on? Music for elevators made with a 19.000$ compressor...

(Coldplay was used by me an example for complete meaningless pop-BS, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Kanye, whoever... doesnt matter. You get the picture.)
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
I have one that I use to shave a db or two on floor tom.

I have better, more expensive compressors that I use for the more important stuff.

I lawled
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots View Post
Why is the ADL 670 $19k? Why is any single piece of gear that much other than to rip people off? I have never heard the adl 670, but come on, you want me to drop nearly 20 grand on a compressor? How good could it be? I can buy a brand new car for that much. A car. This is just a stereo compressor, how much could it really cost to build to where you are charging people 19k? I guess you only need to sell a few of 'em a year to make a living.
A guy here on GS built a 670, he said he spent almost 7k USD on parts. The unit has to be built manually and it's not a simple design, it takes a long time to build something like that! Add the time needed to design the unit, the time needed to source the parts, the time needed to select the parts, rent and utility bills, the mark-up of the reseller and you'll see at the end the 19k isn't really a too high price for that kind of unit. I don't know if the price is justified by the sound of the unit but I think that's a very subjective evaluation.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:

I truly value a lot of the gear thats being made, and the hard work the manufacturers and designers put into creating these things. But no one likes to be taken advantage of, and its hard to feel like thats not exactly whats going on with these astronomically priced pieces of gear out there!

I am aware that expressing opinions like these is not always welcome on gearslutz (wonder why that could be?). But i should be entitled to give my opinion whether it be good or bad (and most of the time its good).

So if anyone could enlighten me, what could possibly be the justification, besides profit, for charging 19 grand for a stereo compressor? It may have 20 tubes, it may have 14 transformers, it may be a near identical to the famed fairchild compressor that hardly any of us have ever actually laid fingers on, but i just dont see how the numbers add up here, and this goes for any over-priced piece if gear, not just the adl.

I just have a hard time imagining myself saving up that much money, buying this compressor, and being like "yup! That was definitely worth every penny!"

because it's costly[custom parts etc.] and time consuming hand making these.
and yeah at the end of the day hand making something that doesn't exist anymore basically as a one off per order and costs around 50k vintage now?
have you tried?
rare used but Ive seen the adl 670 go second-hand for waay less.
I remember one selling here on GS for around 8k some years back.
someone got extremely lucky..its a beast of a comp.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Addict

Fodder for big spenders who already have everything. You could handily outfit a project studio with that kind of money.
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Guru

I set up a kick starter where I promise to try and make one. I probably need 250K.
It probably won't even work, but I promise to try my best.
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

I know Anthony has to get all his copper and nickel for the transformers from out of the country just to get the pure base metals to wind the transformers. There's like 28 tubes in there and not just any tubes, the rejection rate for the tubes is incredible and you have to buy them first, the faceplates alone cost hundreds. The power supply is another cost factor. To do an original recreation is not cheap. Add the build time, burn in time, marketing (have you ever rented a booth at AES or Namm?) warranty etc...

If you think Anthony's getting rich off these things I can assure you he is not. It was built as a labor of love buy him. In purchasing parts you might as well buy enough to build 20 as it cost you just about the same as building one.

I know I wouldn't want to take on building one of these beasts... and I sure as hell am glad that people like Anthony will.

He got his start by wanting to make an affordable LA2A clone... and at the time he did his TB4 onto based compressor with tube make up gain was about half the price of what an Original LA2A was going for.

One should only hope to accomplish what these guys do. It's not like he doesn't try to build for the economical side of things. His tube pre's are a steal of a deal.

A shame that someone as nice as Anthony has to endure being slandered on this forum for just wanting to bring on original recreation back to life.

Knowledge is power.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Head

Drip you can get 670 PCB's here. i think they are probably like $300 for the all the boards needed. he does great work. take a look around and see how much it costs just for the parts. its probably close to $5k then the TONS of hours to build and test and I can see it easily getting to $10k. it's just really expensive to make. I would love to build one some day but i have so many other things that need my money first. $19k seems crazy but so does $10k. this stuff isn't for hobbyist's.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I know Anthony has to get all his copper and nickel for the transformers from out of the country just to get the pure base metals to wind the transformers. There's like 28 tubes in there and not just any tubes, the rejection rate for the tubes is incredible and you have to buy them first, the faceplates alone cost hundreds. The power supply is another cost factor. To do an original recreation is not cheap. Add the build time, burn in time, marketing (have you ever rented a booth at AES or Namm?) warranty etc...

If you think Anthony's getting rich off these things I can assure you he is not. It was built as a labor of love buy him. In purchasing parts you might as well buy enough to build 20 as it cost you just about the same as building one.

I know I wouldn't want to take on building one of these beasts... and I sure as hell am glad that people like Anthony will.

He got his start by wanting to make an affordable LA2A clone... and at the time he did his TB4 onto based compressor with tube make up gain was about half the price of what an Original LA2A was going for.

One should only hope to accomplish what these guys do. It's not like he doesn't try to build for the economical side of things. His tube pre's are a steal of a deal.

A shame that someone as nice as Anthony has to endure being slandered on this forum for just wanting to bring on original recreation back to life.

Knowledge is power.
This.
the hell with the wannabes.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Addict

How much did original fairchild's cost in 50s/60s dollars?
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear
Try taking a look at the inside of a Fairchild before spouting off about how "greed" is the only possible reason for a certain price. Some basic micro on price theory is also helpful.
This circuit has been in the public domain for ages. If it could be done at a high level of quality for a lower price, someone would do it and eat Anthony's breakfast. But the entirety of the pro audio world has said a collective "no thanks" to that proposition. Which indicates this is more a labor of love than a get rich quick scheme.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Maniac

At this point it ADL is not just an assembly line made tool, it is a hand built piece of art. And art can cost a lot - because it is unique.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Every time i see a fairchild and the pricetag associated with it i freeze and think about the sds of the engineer rather than his skills as an engineer
Old 26th April 2016
I bought the ADL670 once, and used it on some cowbells. But since it didn't make the cowbells sound like with a real 670, I give it away to a young poor-teenage EDM-producer, so he can make his Sylenth1 shine a little bit.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Nut

Modern replacement for the Fairchild

Modern replacement for the Fairchild.
Most of them between $3-4k.
Old 26th April 2016
Village Idiot

Quote:
Why is any single piece of gear that much other than to rip people off? .
I think you are just confused about how pricing works. Its determined by...

1. How much are manufacturers willing to sell something for
2. How much are people willing to pay.

Selecting one variable (production cost), which surely does affect 1 (among a lot of other variables), is a bit nonsensical.

Even if it did matter, its quite likely that if you bought one of these as a decoration piece, it could be the item with the lowest production cost/sales price ratio in your entire household.

Hope that brings some small nuance to your impression of ADL trying to rip people off...

Gustav
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Addict

Yeah, and you can buy a studio condenser off eBay for £20! How those Newmans are still so much is beyond me...
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

UAD Fairchild MkII is very good and I use it a lot. May not be exactly but it's close enough to where the extra $18,800 you saved can't be that significant a difference in the sound. Not to mention you can use it multiple times on a mix whereas a hardware unit can only be used once unless you record with it or use it on a buss.
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
I would expect a compressor at such a price to do the whole mixing & mastering in top notch quality on its own, send the master to the record plant, do my books and keep me liquid with fresh coffee in the process.

Come on. That is complete BS. In the end its used on a new Coldplay album, that is heard by people which havent the faintest clue whats going on there. Huh?? Coldplay? Is there something going on? Music for elevators made with a 19.000$ compressor...

(Coldplay was used by me an example for complete meaningless pop-BS, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Kanye, whoever... doesnt matter. You get the picture.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Humm seems to be a slightly contagious case of MSIG--YSIS

Interesting how easy it is to understand that we ourselves should never be tied to, or judged by, somebody else's perception of what constitutes a valid expenditure. Yet sometimes we are perfectly willing to judge others perception of valid .

Which can be analog summed to ..... My s**t is golden, -- Your s**t is s**t.

In full disclosure I have one of the modern comps listed in the miss named Modern Replacement for the Fairchild
link posted . Which of course to many at $3k, might be considered a ridiculous expenditure ....BUT as As Einstein said " It's all Relative"
Old 26th April 2016
Quote:

Knowledge is power.

R.
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear
If the ADL 670 is amazing and very close to the real thing and costs £19K

Then how come his LA2A clone gets such a complete and utter slating on Gearsslutz as sounding nothing remotely like a LA2A!

You'd think if the man can do a 670 then an LA2A would be an easy goal ... no?
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

If you don't like the price then don't buy it. Stop whining.
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
How much did original fairchild's cost in 50s/60s dollars?
I believe they were around $8000 even back then.
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Knowledge is power.
To the Op: you've no idea what you are discussing!

To the comment above:

I totally agree, anybody who has ever heard the silky smooth combination of Transformers and Valves to the highest degree, knows sound in the Analog domain exceeds current digital and current Nyquist sampling by 4-5 fold plus. These are serious devices, not toys, in comparison to numerically Farked up plug ins is a total insult to Anthony Demaria is simply providing a service, now if it's too deep for you....play with plug ins, though I can assure you right here and now, the numeric crunching involved in these Analog designs is beyond the scope of Your numerically challenged and junked up modernity in math due to plastic sound plug ins, thus trying to recreate a 670 without comprise and knowing most NOS stock is now half assed and Microphonic in valve tendency such old valves are - just supporting a ADL -670 is to be admired!

I think the Op is playing in a Sandpit with little knowledge of the original Analog design aesthetic and outcome for total Euphonics creation - thinking the numeric rules don't apply here is a huge insult to ADL, look at Bill from Kenetek, does he know how to work a compressor, well maybe not so well creatively,though did he model and design a new TB4 cell better then long and short form UTC efforts? Indeed he did! Often Design, Form and Function follow many paths, some have rules and some are broken to create long sought after perfection in Analog designs! Maybe think before dropping buckets of crap on others efforts!
Old 26th April 2016
So who is going to drop $19k on one?

What if Anthony built it and no one came?

Maybe someone can explain the economics of dropping $20k (with taxes) on one piece of studio gear in a busted business where you are lucky to make $2400 on downloads for a huge hit song ("Happy")?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search