The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$19,000 compressor?
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
I have never said that inflation adjustment is an accurate method. I merely put the numbers out there, what you make of them is entirely up to you.

However I have said that if the poster who mentioned $7k in parts is correct than $19k is an acceptable retail price and I stand by that.
Agreed, and it's highly probable very few people who are making claims of excessive price, have even the faintest notion of how costs relate to price in the manufacturing world in general, (let alone specific to this particular boutique compressor). If that $7k figure for parts alone is even remotely close to reality, then in fact the retail price is very likely on the extreme low end of what it should be in order to be much better than a very modest revenue source at best, or (labor of love) and basically a finical wash for ADL.

The level of unsubstantiated critique in this thread is revealing ... Unless you know (not speculate.... actually KNOW) the cost of the parts, labor , fixed facility costs , variable facility cost range percentages , taxes, insurance, and administrative, etc. and how those numbers and production volume numbers factors relate to the retail price . Then the pissing and moaning here is little more than ignorant whining . But hey it's the moan zone so who say's reality should actually play a part
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Adl-670 #3

Here's mine...
Serial Number 3 of at least 5 that I know of.

Simply put,
it's a Fairchild that works, didn't need servicing when purchased and was approx. $15,000 - $20,000 less then a original.
If you want, need or desire the real thing, then here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
,000 compressor?-dsc07612.jpg  
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Here's mine...
Serial Number 3 of at least 5 that I know of.

Simply put,
it's a Fairchild that works, didn't need servicing when purchased and was approx. $15,000 - $20,000 less then a original.
If you want, need or desire the real thing, then here ya go.
Damm fine rack o' gear sir , and the organization of your interconnect cables certainly sets the bar very high
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Kev,
"and the organization of your interconnect cables certainly sets the bar very high"

Thank you sir...
But, the cables on the right side aren't as neat!
Attached Thumbnails
,000 compressor?-dsc07614.jpg  
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Kev,
"and the organization of your interconnect cables certainly sets the bar very high"

Thank you sir...
But, the cables on the right side aren't as neat!
Oh good I was beginning to feel messy
Old 1st May 2016
Analoguetube Fairchild 670 and 660 compressor recreations

15450£ for all features and case in standard black $22550 Handbuilt in the UK, which came first? I remember seeing 2007-2008 for this AT101, where as the ADL 670 was made in 2003!

I wonder what the differences are between these? Can we get a Gearslut with great credit to do a shootout I'll bring party favors
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

ADL was first...

Otherwise I might have considered the AT 101
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Nice ADL nobtwiddler...

Are the eq's in the rack some sort of Daking design ? How do they sound ?
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Some help for the OP:
Attached Thumbnails
,000 compressor?-gearslut-20flowchart-202.jpg  
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

if I wouldn't have my own vintage Fairchild I would buy POM 670 mkII PRICES

real name sounds really sweet and legit, British hand made and much less money than any of named up above. I recommended it to my friend and he is very happy with mkII.
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Pom is the bomb..
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
Pom is the bomb..
Pom is real.End.
I don't take why others can ask 3x more for the same.Simply vintage or Pom
Old 1st May 2016
Lives for gear

19 grand is about right. We've gotten so used to Chinese/Asian affordable that when a product appears that reflects Western economics we choke. That 19 grand compressor would have cost 3 grand in 1980 and it would have been expensive. However rest assured if some enterprising cheapskate decided to let China in on the action there would be $900 670 clones coming out of the woodwork. It's nice to pick just the best parts out of a production run but does anybody think the original 670's were built that way? So there seems to be a lot of built in cost additions that work in the boutique market yet have less practical value than the builders would like you to believe. Indeed I have to buy 3,000 of a certain tube up front and I end up having to toss 2,370 of them cause they aren't up to my standard. But that's OK I sell the duds off to Neumann and they seem to be pretty happy with them.

However just the other day I opened a SONAR project I hadn't looked at in a few months. I was rather impressed with the sound of the acoustic guitar. It reminded me of a famous acoustic guitar that had gone through a 670. I discovered that the desired sound was coming from my 670 plugin that I had forgotten I was employing on the track. I'm not going to be 670 hardware shopping any time soon now.
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Oh good I was beginning to feel messy
what are those 4 knob row things with the red jacks, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 2nd May 2016
I was going for the priciest option I could find beside original OP didn't like $19,000 so how's about $22500 the PomChild looks amazing as well, especially for the price and added features you can get on top of that ( insert send and return, extra release times ). PomChild would be on my short list if this flavor of comp was needed in my arsenal.
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Guru

Man if the Chinese could come up with some good plugins they would be like $1.90c
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
what are those 4 knob row things with the red jacks, if you don't mind me asking?
I believe you should be asking nobtwiddler
My room is a much much more minimalist, to say the least !!! My Tubecore 3U is second from the top

Last edited by KevWind; 18th May 2016 at 03:05 PM..
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

They are original issue Daking 52270 Mic/Pre/Eq's.
I have 16 of them.
Old 19th May 2016
19k for a compressor is well... let the millionares buy it
Old 5th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots View Post
Why is the ADL 670 $19k? Why is any single piece of gear that much other than to rip people off? I have never heard the adl 670, but come on, you want me to drop nearly 20 grand on a compressor? How good could it be? I can buy a brand new car for that much. A car. This is just a stereo compressor, how much could it really cost to build to where you are charging people 19k? I guess you only need to sell a few of 'em a year to make a living.

I truly value a lot of the gear thats being made, and the hard work the manufacturers and designers put into creating these things. But no one likes to be taken advantage of, and its hard to feel like thats not exactly whats going on with these astronomically priced pieces of gear out there!

I am aware that expressing opinions like these is not always welcome on gearslutz (wonder why that could be?). But i should be entitled to give my opinion whether it be good or bad (and most of the time its good).

So if anyone could enlighten me, what could possibly be the justification, besides profit, for charging 19 grand for a stereo compressor? It may have 20 tubes, it may have 14 transformers, it may be a near identical to the famed fairchild compressor that hardly any of us have ever actually laid fingers on, but i just dont see how the numbers add up here, and this goes for any over-priced piece if gear, not just the adl.

I just have a hard time imagining myself saving up that much money, buying this compressor, and being like "yup! That was definitely worth every penny!"

I might be a slut, but i aint no hoe.
There is a real simple explanation for this. It is called supply and demand!
If you want to know why someone would pay these prices for this model compressor, you would need to ask each one for their personal reason.

Denny

Denny
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots View Post
Why is the ADL 670 $19k? Why is any single piece of gear that much other than to rip people off? I have never heard the adl 670, but come on, you want me to drop nearly 20 grand on a compressor? How good could it be? I can buy a brand new car for that much. A car. This is just a stereo compressor, how much could it really cost to build to where you are charging people 19k? I guess you only need to sell a few of 'em a year to make a living.

I truly value a lot of the gear thats being made, and the hard work the manufacturers and designers put into creating these things. But no one likes to be taken advantage of, and its hard to feel like thats not exactly whats going on with these astronomically priced pieces of gear out there!

I am aware that expressing opinions like these is not always welcome on gearslutz (wonder why that could be?). But i should be entitled to give my opinion whether it be good or bad (and most of the time its good).

So if anyone could enlighten me, what could possibly be the justification, besides profit, for charging 19 grand for a stereo compressor? It may have 20 tubes, it may have 14 transformers, it may be a near identical to the famed fairchild compressor that hardly any of us have ever actually laid fingers on, but i just dont see how the numbers add up here, and this goes for any over-priced piece if gear, not just the adl.

I just have a hard time imagining myself saving up that much money, buying this compressor, and being like "yup! That was definitely worth every penny!"

I might be a slut, but i aint no hoe.
DW. - The plugin version could be on its way soon
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Guru
Man this place is just plain strange sometimes...... There is iconic gear for a reason. People don't just buy this stuff to sit and look at it. When you have real clients, their time in the session is worth more than the gear they're using. Do the math........

I just worked on a project where we built an elaborate set for what most people make in a year, so execs wouldn't have to travel an hour. Client was happy to pay because it actually saved money......

I bet the guy can turn around and sell that $19K compressor for more than he paid for it. What's your plug in collection worth?....
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

So three years later, and everyone still waiting for the Warm-670.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Addict

Not me. I’m building a Fairchild 670 at the moment, using v3 PCBs from Drip Electronics. Just got the audio path transformers and tubes to go
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
Not me. I’m building a Fairchild 670 at the moment, using v3 PCBs from Drip Electronics. Just got the audio path transformers and tubes to go
Keep us updated!
Old 21st March 2019
CEB
Gear Head

There are two kinds of companies that can make it work now: luxury brands and cheap brands. This reality is reflected in social media trends, the stock market and, in a much more niche way, pro audio.

The guys making the good stuff at an earthbound price are the ones getting squeezed because most people belong to either the luxury or cheap camp. Add in basic human psychology (aka lack of fiscal discipline both ways, rich or poor) and you've got either Warm/Stam or vintage, Knif, Fearn, etc.

The ADL 670 is a really nice sounding piece of gear, I will say.

This thread is a couple years old, but if I had to say anything to the OP, it's that the internet has opened doors to a buying process that you would not have been invited to previously. If something is priced at $20k, it's not for you if the price tag makes you balk. What's reasonable is relative.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search