The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Difference between Chandler TG1 and Zener TG12413?
Old 7th February 2007
Difference between Chandler TG1 and Zener TG12413?

Anyone know how these 2 units differ?...Especially when used for tracking vocals and guitars...Thanks
Old 7th February 2007
Not yet, but I'll know within a week or so.
Old 21st February 2007
I'm guessing that they do the TG1 thing and more... at least that's what I'm hoping for...
Old 21st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Limited Website
The main reason for Zener Limiter reissue was to add features and flexibility to the powerful and vintage sounding TG limiter circuits. To that end Wade has added many new controls including switch able input impedance for hard of soft driving of the unit, 11 position attack, 21 position release, side chain filtering, and Comp1, Comp2, and Limit settings.
you can see that the Zener.........

has a more flexible control design than the TG1.........

Old 22nd February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
I'm guessing that they do the TG1 thing and more... at least that's what I'm hoping for...
It's kind of the other way around. It does the same thing and less.

They're both capable of brute force, crushing compression. The latest revision of the TG-1 with the adjusted taper allows far more control, but the Zener takes it further.

A perfect example is sometimes you get a sound that's perfect except there's just a tad too much comrpession. With a compressor like the TG-1, tone is a big part, so cutting back the input may get the compression right, but now you've got less THD.

With the Zener, you have other options. Since you now have an attack control, you can slow that down. Or turn the internal side chain on. Both of those things will reduce the gain reduction, but not affect the THD. In general, the Zener allows for much more detailed control. I havent yet A/B'd them for tone.

I've found a few instances where I can use the TG-1 on the stereo buss. In all of those cases, it's been in the compression mode. With the Zener I've had great results with it in Limit on the stereo buss and have used it that way on a classical mix, a quiet trio of acoustic guitar, bass and cajon, and about 15 different rock tunes.

It's really easy to set for .5 to 1dB of gain reduciton when it's in limit mode on the stereo buss. This is a key becuase the comp and limit modes sound different.
Old 22nd February 2007
It's interesting, b/c the only way I was able to get the TG1 to sound great on the 2 was with a very specific setting... limit, dual mono, fastest release or 2nd fastest release, with almost no visible gain reduction. Needle wasn't moving. This setting was sort of passed on by a couple of mentors, and it did the trick. But it was easy to get "over mastered" sounding fast... so the Zener seems to be the ticket, in that you can control things a bit more.

Thanks for the info and first hand experience... I'm probably going to get one of these in the near future.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Addict

bump
Old 27th June 2009
As I understand it (and this is 3rd party info so I could be wrong), the Zener uses a totally different limiting circuit and principle than the original, so it really shouldn't sound the same. But, as I said, this is hearsay based on what I've read.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Actually I think the circuit is the same but uses germanium transistors giving a slightly smoother sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search