The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Normalizing & Vocal Intelligibility...
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Normalizing & Vocal Intelligibility...

Hey!

I had a question regarding vocal normalizing, and i'd like to find out if people are doing this as well, or if there are other techniques folks are using to achieve a similar effect (besides extensive compression/limiting)...

as part of the mix prep stage i decided last night to try and smooth out a lead vocal track by using the digidesign normalization plugin... however, instead of normalizing the entire track, i cut each individual phrase, and normalized it "region by region"... the vocals were recorded at a decent level, however the reason for the normalization was to create a really intelligible vocal, that was extremely consistant and smooth... (i set the normalization to peak at -6db)

the result seemed to work rather well... kinda surprising actually. I still compressed the vocals heavily, but was focuing more on compression character rather than trying to use it to make everything extremely even... I was curious to see if anyone out there has rejected this technique for a specific reason, or if this is something that people do fairly often...

Thanks!!!
Paul
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I do that with volume automation, and then compress. That way you can tweak sections - like dip breaths if they don't line up because of a punch in, bump up the last couple of words in a line, which often times are weak, or catch S's and P pops.
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

automation into compression

thanks for the reply! yeah, that seems like a good way to do it... so you're doing the automation, then bussing it into another track with the compression? or do you print the automation before compressing?

Thanks!
Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search