The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Snare i5 or 57
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Snare i5 or 57

On snare top: Anyone substitute the Audix i5 for perfunctory 57? How about snare bottom?

Thanks much.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

i5 all the way. I know a lot of people are married to their 57s, and I'm not puting that mic down, but the i5 is a superior snare mic, at least for top. I like 57s on bottom, however.

Soon I'll be posting some clips of my band's rehearsal with the i5 on snare top and on the guitar cab and you can hear for yourself. No eq required.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for i5 on snare top. Snare bottom could be anything bright, since you only use a little bit of it in the mix.
Old 7th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

Audix i5.

I put one up for a project, and hearing the first rough mix I said bye-bye to the SM57 on snare top forever.

The i5 delivers the whole body of the snare, and the low mids don't box up like they do with a 57. The 57 sounds more like the snare TOP, the i5 sounds more like the snare DRUM.

War
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I think the idea that the i5 is superior to the sm57 originated from guitar center.
whenever I go there, no matter what city I'm in, that's what they say. that's what they are told to say.
aesthetically, it is very stupid to look at and every time I do, it makes me want to play football or bake cookies; or other things i normally wouldn't do.
the sound, in my experience, has never been better than the sm57 but maybe in different rooms under different circumstances with different instruments used for different music . . . I don't know.
the simple fact that nearly EVERYONE says "it's better than the 57" should make us weary. right?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I dig the I5 more than the 57 nowdays. For snare at least.

My new intern brought over a couple Beyerdynamics 201 hypercardiod mic the other day while tracking a band. I used the 201 on snare with good effect. I really dig the 201 now!! I need to get one!!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

well...I never shop at Guitar Center, but I use the I-5 almost 10 to 1 over a 57 as my snare mic of choice, I find that it has way more balls and I eq less.

Paul
Old 7th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

jcool, are you sure GC is being "told" to say that? I don't doubt it, but how do you know?

My experience with the i5 was:

Audix: "We are now shipping the i5"

Us: "OK, send some"

Me after putting on snare: "This one's mine"

Me after using on vocals, guitar cabs etc: "I think I need more i5's"

I think it's one of the best dynamic mics around, period...at any price.

War
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I used to work at guitar center in pro audio and [nearly] all of the employees used repetition to make themselves money through sales.
Sure, this might be a generalization but that's my experience with most of the southern california stores.
buzz words and no experience, supid training videos, $$$$$ for sales, car salesmen, selling drugs out the back of the store . . .
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
jcool, are you sure GC is being "told" to say that? I don't doubt it, but how do you know?
Well, not sure of jcools' experience with GC and audix, but here's a direct quote from a board discussion I had with a local GC employee...

"when the Audix dealer comes to give us presentations he always says that audix is aggressive to overcome that barrier. they put out "a higher quality mic at the same price". i've got a pair of OM2's and they are awesome!

the i5 is a great instrument mic ... for acoustic instruments or, even better, for an amp"

Sounds like it comes direct from audix. Anyway, I've been looking to pick one up to make up my own mind.
---
c
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Guru

Who cares what GC says. Sometimes they're bound to get it right just by the luck of the draw. +1 for the i5, although I still use the 57 on occation.
Old 7th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2u View Post
Sounds like it comes direct from audix.
They put a lot of work into that mic apparently, and have marketed it (verbally) as the "57 killer".

I agree with them for the most part, far more useful on far more things.

War
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

SPL rating of the SM57?

This is all very interesting. I'm always on the hunt for a better snare mic although I always come back to the SM57. Probably because it has such a familiar sound.

The Audix website says that the i5 has an SPL rating of 140dB. Does anyone know if that is much more than the SM57? I do hear the SM57 distort slightly with a hard hitting drummer or a loud guitar cabinet. I guess this is one area where I wish I had a little more headroom.

-Aaron
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Folks, just interested, are your comparisons based on new or old 57s?? Viz, Jim Williams' suggestion that new 57s aren't as good as older ones.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I bought an i5 several months ago, and have been using it on snare top, and up close on a Marshall (along with a R121). I may never use a 57 again.

STeve
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

i started using the i5 on the snare and at first i did find it to have a more open and tighter sounding than the 57.

but after doing a couple mixes with it, i found that it was missing some of the low-midrange punch that the 57 gave me. and now i'm back to using the 57 on snare.

however, i still do like the i5. it just depends on the snare drum and the type of music. they're both great on the snare.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

i5 on top, 57 under
best working combo
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

After reading this thread, I think I am going to have to go buy an I-5 and try it out myself.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

i got one brand new from guitar center for $70. you don't really have much to lose by picking one up.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

I bought the i5 and had good results with it. I found one of my favorite older 57's and its way better than my i5 overall, and I have two i5's. This particular 57 sounds better on ALL of my snare drums but the i5 doesn't. Go figure... but whatever works
Old 7th February 2007
not to hijack but when you guys say older 57's are better are you talking 1970's 80's?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

what.,..these things?

Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2 View Post
what.,..these things?

Hah! No not that one! I have an old black one (SM56/Unidyne III) of those too! I was talking about an older Unidyne SM57. This particular one just sounds really good on snares. I don't know why but it does. I've had it marked with tape as "!!!" for awhile.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

My vote is for the I5. I like mic'ing the port hole on the side of the snare. Anyways, I don't have to eq anything. It is not a challenge getting a good sound.

THe 57 on the other hand is close but I experinced having to do some tweakage and critcal placement.

If I had a bunch of 57's lying around, i would just use one instead of buying an I5. But, If I didn't have either, I would purchase an I5.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I got a i5 recently and prefer it a lot to a 57, I really like the Beyer 201 for snare so it's usually between those 2.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I made the switch from 57 to i5 a while back. I can tell you that in my room on my drums I now prefer to i5 to the 57. I a/b'ed the crap out of them back and forth, back and forth and decided on the i5. heh

I only have one i5 so I haven't tried them on toms. Have any of you tried them on toms?
Old 7th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
I only have one i5 so I haven't tried them on toms. Have any of you tried them on toms?
A word up for a homie.

War
Attached Files

Audix_i5_Toms.mp3 (233.9 KB, 202 views)

Old 7th February 2007
Warren,

I listened to the i5 sample you made on the toms. Not bad I also like the d2 but I'm still digging the cads. I do go between my i5 and beyer 201 for snare. My 201 has a sm98 taped to it. sounds killer but when I am short on channels the I5 wwithout a doubt
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I like the i5 better than the 57 on snare, but I actually like Audix's snare mic, the D1, even better than the i5 for that application.
However, I still prefer the 57 over the i5 on guitar cabs, easily. The i5 has a more annoying high end and isn't as meaty through the mids for that application IMO, at least for Metal guitars.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I work at Guitar Center. It's true. I train my guys to push an i5 over a 57. It's a better sounding mic. The 57 hasn't been updated in like 30+ years. I would like to hope that there have been advancements in that time. I've never had a customer complain to me about their i5. I own one. I love it. I also own a 57. I don't quite love it as much (although it has it's uses).

Audix mics also have better margin than Shure, so we can cut you a better deal on the price. Another thing to keep in mind about Guitar Center. The salespeople are commissioned. If they sell you something that sucks, you will never buy from that salesperson again. Thus, the salesperson makes less money. Our comission system actually keeps the salespeople honest. I train my guys to sell the customer the right thing the first time (even if that item doesn't put the most money if that persons pocket). If they do, the customer will keep the product and then come back to you for more (thus more money in your pocket). If you try to sell them the item that puts more money in your pocket initially, but isn't necessarily the best item for their need, they will eventually find out that you screwed them. They will no longer give you their hard earned money, and you will have a bad reputation as a salesperson. Guys like that don't last at GC long because I fire them. I'm always trying to hire fellow Gear Slut types for my Pro Audio department.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search