The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sub $400 condenser Pencil Mic
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

Sub $400 condenser Pencil Mic

Greetins Y'All

Just had a quick question. I have been using AKG 460/480s for a while now on acoustic guitars- Love 'em. I know that there has been a movement of late of some pretty damn good ribbon mics coming out of the far east for low prices. Does any one know of any pencil mics that are the same ( great bang for the buck) formula. The AKGs are about $1000- a lil too much for me right now. I was Wondering about some of the lower priced ones-ie AKG C430, A-T Pro 37 or 2021.....

Also, what are peoples thoughts on the AKG C1000s and the Perception 100/200?

Thanks in advanced
thumbsup
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

I use Shure ksm109's, you can get them for about 150 a piece and they are a very neutral sounding mic. They aren't really flattering but they are neutral and precise.
Old 6th February 2007

They are hyper-cards, but the AT897r and the Senn e614 are good bets.

-tINY

Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Have you looked into the Peluso pencil mic?
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

i like sm81's... C451b's are nice if you wanna spend a bit more
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Have you looked into the Peluso pencil mic?
I agree...I would totally check the John Peluso's Cemc6 Pencil Mic. Better bang for the buck in my opinion!
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Josephson C42. Best I've heard in that price range. Right at $400 and worth every penny of $587.99
C42
Old 7th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

The sE Electronics SE3 is a really nice pencil mic with robust sound & build.

I compared one to one of my Neumann KM84 a while back:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...2079&alid=1506

Click the arrow on the far right to download.

You have to pan back and forth to compare (SE3 left, KM84 right).

Download and split into two mono files to compare in your studio.

Not saying they're the same, saying the SE3 hangs well for a sub $300 mic.

The mic is hefty / weighty, and includes a great shock mount.

War
Old 7th February 2007
Definite fan of the Audio Technica 4041's.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I used the Pro 37's once...here is a link so you can hear them...they are on overheads (just a beta 52 on kick and a 57 on snare...4 mics)...I just used my digi002 pres (all I had then).

Just some friends that could not afford to have me track them in a sudio so I went to thier practice space to overdub the drums...all 4 songs were the same setup. Just myspace mp3's but you know...you can get an idea.

I remember them being a little hard sounding and bright but they were still pretty nice for the money. I was thinking of getting a pair for some utility mics.

http://www.myspace.com/orbitmannmusic
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

for $400 the josephson c42's are great.... i have a pair-- are they perfect for everything? no. but they offer a lot of detail and a great sound for not a ton of money-- i use them as a stereo pair for classical recitals and although i sometimes wish they were a little more neutral, a little eq can fix the occasional brightness that can creep in. i don't have a ton of experience with other mics in that price range but overall i think you should be able to get great recordings out of the josephsons...
i'm curious about the new beyer sdc's that are around that price, maybe slightly more-- heard good things but nothing first hand.
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

I have a pair of Oktava MK-012s with cardiod capsules. Each is about $275, or $525 for the pair. You can also get different capsules for them, so they can be fairly versatile. So far I've been using them as drum overheads and on acoustic guitar.
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks Y'all. I am pricing out the C42 and the CEMC6. I'm gonna see if any place will let me do a shoot out.

What are people's thoughts on thed AKG Pereption line? Cool for the money? I am looking for some new mics to add a little favor and found some of the inexpensive ribbon mics sounded pretty for the money.

SO I am just lookin to see if there are any others out there.

Thanks again!!!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalrecord View Post
i'm curious about the new beyer sdc's that are around that price, maybe slightly more-- heard good things but nothing first hand.
We have 3 generations of the Beyer SDCs in our mic locker - 700, 800 and 900 series.

We used the 930's last week on a live video shoot to mic an acoustic guitar (no amplification) and it sounds beautiful. I would not hesitate to recommend any of their SDCs.

PM me and perhaps I can provide some short samples.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Let us know if you can get a shootout between the josephsons and the pelusos-- i've always kind of wondered, but since i've been happy with the c42's i haven't felt compelled to go to the work of demoing a pair. (i did demo them against km184's and was happy to save money and grab the c42's)
as for the beyers, tnjazz, do you think they'd work well as a main pair in a classical setting (mostly what i do)? perhaps i'll pm later for a sample, thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search