The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
a mic for a guy who sounds like...
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

a mic for a guy who sounds like...

hey guys,

the lead singer in our band has a voice that reminds people of stephen page from the barenaked ladies, or the lead singer from stained (don't know that guy's name). anyway, it's time for a vocal mic upgrade...we've been using performance mic's to record so far, as we've just been trying to see how the songs go. now we want to get an idea of how they could really sound.

out of curiosity, does anyone know what mic's those other guys use?

can anyone recommend a mic in the mid-price range (under $1000) that would suit that style of voice? not all of the passages are all-out, of course...there are more subtle parts (and songs) as well. but a mic that will always be of use is a good starting point, as this is our first real purchase along these lines. as for style, we play rock/acoustic/pop type tunes.

we'll be using the pre's and converters in my i88x...and we are in a semi-treated 400 square foot room (some shag carpeting on the walls, acoustic insulation in the t-bar ceiling, carpeted floors), but could get some real acoustic treatments or a booth if need be...

any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks,

tom.
Old 6th February 2007

Try some out if you can.

...first thought on a well controlled, practiced voice like that is a 414U-BLS.

-tINY

Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

in terms of trying some out, we plan to do exactly that! we want to get a shopping list together, as we're an hour away from toronto, and in this weather (currently 20 below freezing) it's best to know who has what you are looking for before you head out!

we may even end up ordering online, so your advice is absolutely invaluable.

thanks for your vote!

--tom
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

I would say +1 for an AKG414...it will work on almost anybody and anything...but if you're looking for a character mic...

Hmm...an AEA R84 would suit you...although it barely peaks your pricepoint...depending where you look, that is.

I own both, and they are my black and white vocal mics. If one doesn't work, the other always gets the job done. The R84 will almost always sound more 3D, more real, but much warmer...while the 414 is going to give you the presence on the top end that is often valued these days. You will probably be doing some EQ...

In your situation, I would go with the R84. It's always a pleaser.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict
Best way to know is to actually hear some options. I am personally thinking 4050 but have a listen.

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

tom - where are you in reference to toronto ?
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

hey guys,

thanks for all of your input...the keys are currently claking as i research your suggestions.

Blue Radio: w.r.t. the AEA R84, does the i88x have enough clean gain to run this particular ribbon? i was looking at the r-121 and someone on this page said that they had used it to good effect, but i'm not sure if this mic will need more....oh, and what do i need to know about impendance matching? i've heard it can make a huge difference!

dcrann11: i'm up in Barrie, expecting another 15-20 cm (6-8") of snow tonight. hooray, winter DID come this year...

and i thought global warming had taken care of that pesky season.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

I was just there yesterday day - yikes. Anyway Down in Newmarket there is a brand new Pilchner/Schoustal room -state of the art studio. I have tracked in there a few times and used several of their vocal mics - everything from u87's, Peluso 2247le and 22251, aea r84, gefell, akg etc etc . George the owner is a decent guy - this was the best experience for me in getting to try different mics. You might want to check it out.

www.abbymax.com/pilot
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear
Sm7 is cheap and sounds terrific for that kind of singer. ( as long as you have a nice pre right after it)
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for SM7b
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Head

thanks for the tip on the studio, dcrann...we're getting our songs tuned up and ready to go and record a demo, and if george is willing to help us find a mic (at our expense, of course), we'd sure appreciate it. plus, they have a guy from glass tiger as a member of staff(don't remember his name either...i'm really bad with that). anyway, i remember being about eight years old and thinking that "don't forget me when you're gone" was the greatest song ever! still brings a smile when i hear it...come to think of it, "the thin red line" was the first album (on cassette) that i ever owned.

sigh.

--tom
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Head

any other mics worth investigating, guys?

(a.k.a. "bump")

Old 12th February 2007

Go buy a Kel HM-1. If you don't like it on his voice, keep it for other things that come up.

Great mic for $130....

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search