The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How are you guys mixing without subs?
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict

sometimes stepping back into one corner of my room, too (where the door is, so all clients coming in are pleased with nice deep low end )

Unfortunately I have a nearly square room, so I had to treat the room with a good amount of absorbtion and diffusion. I now have a very clear sound at the listening position, but I have the crank the volume up and for the very deep bass I even step back. Without a sub and low cut on the main speakers I would not be able to get the desired volume for some of my (hiphop/r&b) clients.

I have old tannoy dmt 10 with a lab-gruppen amp combined with tannoy ts-12 sub and although the room itself sucked in the beginning, I'm finally really happy with the sound.

so... I think its very ok to do everything that makes you feel comfortable while mixing.

mat

(btw... anyone selling some tannoy dmt 10mkII or dmt 12mkII?)
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
I've tried a7's, bm5a's, bm6a's, 8030a's, and i finally settled on the 8040a's.. Maybe i should have gone for the 8050a's... But i still think every speaker i have seen is lacking in the low end... What's up with this?
I had some 8040s for a while too and tried most of the speakers you listed. The bass on the 8040s is there but can seem smeary or not very punchy. I think it's just how we compare the highs and mids (which seem very tight and accurate) with the bass which I felt unsatisfying because it felt weak or difficult to dial in. Getting a sub would nice but I'm always afraid that placement and phase issues would drive me crazy.

Definitely the room comes into play. I heard BM6As in different rooms and while the mid and highs sounded the same, the bass sounded very different.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict

Great topic.

I was going to ask about htis a while ago.

It seems that I allways need to make changes to mixes after they get played on good "big bass" consumer system. And unfortunately it really seems to bum me out how what was sounding good on monitors and in the car turns into something stale and boring in comparison after I make adjustments to conform to those bassy systems.

I have 4 diy rigid fiberglass traps in my small mix space and the room is actually pretty dead.

But it's not just that room as the mixes sound decent in the a proper studio enviorment, too. Bigs included. The response of the big bass consumer systems just seems different.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

i dont use a sub for stereo mixing

i have a bunch of real traps, GIK traps, and home made 703 stuff - it all helps. (and works)

my mixes translate just fine to any system

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search