The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
External FireWire Drive Recommendations?
Old 8th February 2007
bhp
Gear Nut

I've never bought a LaCie drive, and I never will.
Several of my clients have and they all have nightmare stories to relate.
The problem seems to be in the bridge boards, the part that is in between the firewire connection and the actual hard drive. It is the bridge board that fails, the drives rarely do. There are only a few drive maufacturers, Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi... All the companies use these.
It is the packaging that is different, the chassis, the bridge board, internal v external power supply.

I have 5 years experience with EZ Quest drives (20) and no problems.
I have dropped one from six feet.
I have also used Avastor drives with no problems.

Always reformat a drive with your current OS.

as for ebay,
you've got to be kidding.

There is no reason to buy a used drive.
OWC, PowerMax, or any other online dealer has great prices.
Storage is cheap, failure is not!
buy three drives for your project and backup religiously.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The only fire wire drives I have are Glyphs... the first was a Glyph NET drive very quiet, The Net drives are drive only, no fan. I recently got a a GT050Q and it was much louder than the net drive. Actually it howled when I first started it. . I sent It back and got a new one ( very commendable service I must say) But. unfortunately it is still rather loud, in comparison to the Net and I am talking about the drive noise not the fan noise. In fact right now I am able to hear it even with the the propane heater fan blowing in the background. I was wondering if any one who has a Glyph GT050Q and is saying that it is Quiet . might also happen to have a Net to compare it against. If so, Am I expecting too much or have I just been unlucky enough to have received 2 defective drives from the same batch. or something ??? Any thoughts Thanks in advance Kev.
I have both here...can't hear either of them...interesting??? I'd call Glyph, their service kicks ass.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

-10 for Lacie

My Lacie firewire 800 was corrupt and unreadable, within first year.

I called Lacie and they told me to jump off a cliff. They referred me to a data recovery shop that gave me an estimate of $2600 for recovery attempt.

dfegad Lacie

I have 4 Seagates and 2 Western Digitals no problems, they seem very stable.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Guys

Hey thanks reid and pigpen I will be calling Glyph today !!! ... Kev
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks, guys. I just bought a 160GB OWC Neptune for $110. The Glyphs were tempting, but too pricey for me right now.
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Glyph tech dept great ???

Quick update and thanks to those who answered my question I called Glyph Tech and Bill Avery said send it back he would fix it .. Great company thanks for your input Kevin
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Glyph GT 050Q

I can throw a HUGE workload at it, and it just keeps sluggin'

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search