The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm + Coloured Stereo Mic Pre?
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

Warm + Coloured Stereo Mic Pre?

I realize this type of thread probably exists already elsewhere, but it's easier to just explain myself..
I'm starting to think about getting a 2-channel mic preamp, probably tube, in addition to my octopre.
I want as much of a vintage coloured sound as possible, as opposed to clean and sterile.
Looking to spend somewhere in the 300-400 range second-hand. I know this is peanuts compared to what might be IDEAL, but thats my budget.
Ive thought about the Art MPAs and some older HHB models.
Anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

You'll probably get some recommendations if you specify
1) Desirable price range
2) Microphones that you are using
3) Type of music that you do/what you are recording.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

There is some affordable stuff from Joe Meek that is pretty colored sounding. I used to have a stereo compressor that was kind of cool. Do some searches, you'll find all kinds of pieces, many are channel strips with an opto compressor (which will give alot of the color I think you want) and EQ. Look around on ebay.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

i don't think you are gonna find anything with what you describe under $1300 for a stereo preamp.

Sebatron would probably be your cheapest way to go and you are still looking at like $1300...
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

You might wait for a used UAudio Solo610.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

I think you would find the Sebatron VMP series or the AMR/ Peavey VMP-2 to fit the bill in the used market. Both of these will probably run you in the $700-$800 range though. I think you will be hard pressed to find something that is not a starved plate design in your current price range. I know the VMP2 is a full on 4 tubes per side, iron tranny's, real deal, old school designed preamp. I believe the Sebatron is similar.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to be in the tube market to get colored. There are plenty of character preamps out there that are not tube at all. Best of luck in your search.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

Like I said initially, all I really have to spend is about $400 tops.
Mainly running a pair of NT5s through it for stereo tracking. I may also be using a Senn 421/AKG c3000b/sm57 at times (thats the extent of my mic drawer). If I push it, I could *maybe* afford something like a TL Audio PA-1 or C1, which seem to go for about $550-600 used.
Thoughts?
Im just a hobbyist musician, not a pro engineer. Hence the budget:-(
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I think you would find the Sebatron VMP series or the AMR/ Peavey VMP-2 to fit the bill in the used market. Both of these will probably run you in the $700-$800 range though. I think you will be hard pressed to find something that is not a starved plate design in your current price range. I know the VMP2 is a full on 4 tubes per side, iron tranny's, real deal, old school designed preamp. I believe the Sebatron is similar.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to be in the tube market to get colored. There are plenty of character preamps out there that are not tube at all. Best of luck in your search.
Any suggestions on non-tube units?
Cheers for everyone's piece
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
You might wait for a used UAudio Solo610.
Mono, no?
Old 7th February 2007
Jai guru deva om

The ART MPA Gold is actually a decent preamp and well within your price range. Somewhat dark, but also has impedence matching which alters the sound of your mics (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot).

War
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

save up and get a TG-2.
Old 7th February 2007
What are you recording into now?

It's possible that at that price range, you won't be buying a better preamp that what you already have.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

For stereo color on the cheap I would look for an older Presonus Bluetube. They were 2-300 when new. Should be able to find one for $100 or under these days.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

Clean Octopre, TL Audio 2 Fat and the Firepod's native preamps are all I have.
Im just looking for something warmer and more saturated. Maybe I'm SOL at that price point..
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Guru

your thinking is backwards imo. if you want warmth and color, get a ribbon mic. then, sell your other mics and get an oktava ldc.

record everything with those mics right next to each other, as close to physically identical as possible. a blend of the two tracks in the mix will give you all the color options you could possibly ask for in your budget, and unlike a $400 pre they'll sound pretty damn sweet.

otherwise, the most you can hope for is a warm, colored recording of a mediocre mic, and at $400 for two pre's i don't even think you can hope for that.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

btw the firepod is new and the octo is on the outs- whatever I find will replace it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search