The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Restoratrion Software for Forensic Audio
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Best Restoratrion Software for Forensic Audio

I have a forensic audio project -- wiretap of 2 persons speaking in a large room, but there is much background noise rumble and voices are sometimes soft. I need to bring out the conversation and will try the normal things (eq, pass filters and band compression) but am wondering if any of restoration software woud be helpful. If so, which one? I am looking for something that is fairly simple to use, yet gets the job done.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear
If it is important, I would contact Cedar.

http://www.cedar-audio.com/
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide shift View Post
I have a forensic audio project -- wiretap of 2 persons speaking in a large room, but there is much background noise rumble and voices are sometimes soft. I need to bring out the conversation and will try the normal things (eq, pass filters and band compression) but am wondering if any of restoration software woud be helpful. If so, which one? I am looking for something that is fairly simple to use, yet gets the job done.
Cedar Cambridge Forensic is indeed what you're looking for. Besides having some of the most advanced algorithms out there, it's suprisingly easy to use
Cedar Cambrige itself does most of the work for you heh
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

I would have to put in a vote for Algorithmix, rennovator and the rest of the de-noising stuff is top shelf. T'ain't cheap though.

-bassman
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

a good mastering eq like one of the URS ones and BIAS soundsoap is probably would i would use.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

Sound Soap sucks ass IMHO. Its cheap though.... sounds cheap too!

-bassman
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarbass View Post
a good mastering eq like one of the URS ones and BIAS soundsoap is probably would i would use.
A good EQ won't help you that much in forensic audio. It's sure handy to have around, but not as main tool for this kind of task.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

http://www.enhancedaudio.com/dc_live.htm

It's $1,400.00

I know some people who use this on a daily for forensics...

cheers,
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

best approach for me has always been multiband expansion, followed my broadband noise reduction. wavearts has multidynamics which is perfect for this (6 bands) and hve just released a master restoration suite which might be worth checking out as well.
Old 13th September 2013
Here for the gear

I have the same issue and have downloaded the 10 day DC demo from the link above. I have never used this sort of software. I've been able to reduce the static but now need to amplify the remaining sound (voices). How do I do that? Used the gain option but not sure how to use and if linear or curve is best? What range to use, etc. Complete newbie as name suggests.
I also tried to contact cedar to determine how much and how quickly they can turn around 1 hour of record
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Why dont you just redo the take?

Its always best to get it right on the way in
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
Why dont you just redo the take?

Its always best to get it right on the way in
If it's forensic work, it will be impossible to re-record anything.
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Maniac

I think he was making a joke.
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Whats the scenario behind this? Are you trying to record your wife so you can divorce her? Not trying to be a jerk, im just curious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search