The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Problem with DAC-1 and Delta 66.
Old 24th January 2004
Gear Addict

Problem with DAC-1 and Delta 66.

So I got my DAC-1 not too long ago, and as my 1st real D/A converter I couldn't be happier. I have the the signal coming out my M-Audio Delta 66 via SPDIF into the DAC-1 coaxial on a Hosa SPDIF cable.

I'm sitting here listening to an mp3 (through Windows media player) and getting skips in the audio and I noticed the skips are right in time with the error light on the DAC-1 coming on. What gives?

I just tried playing .wav files and the same happens. SR is 44.1 out of the Delta66 & it happens both with the SPDIF output as Consumer and Professional.

I plan to replace the soundcard and cables. What would be a good cable brand/type to get to run into the SPDIF? Also, do you think it could be due to the Delta 66?

Little help please . . .
Old 24th January 2004
Lives for gear

Ryan,

Do you have another digital source to feed the DAC1, like a CD player or something? If so please try that. the DAC1 will only show it's error light when it is recieving a very problematic signal so if you could try to independently test the DAC1 we could probably narrow it down. I would suspect that your issue is coming from the Delta66 or perhaps it's driver but please do test the DAC1 just to be sure. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2004
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I will do a test tonight or tomorrow with another source.

Also, I just re-installed my OS - and therefore have the latest Delta 66 drivers installed.
Old 24th January 2004
Gear Addict

Alright, I just noticed something weird. Here is what I have right now:

The DAC-1, 3 synths, and a Mackie mixer connected to a Furman PL-Plus power conditioner (we'll call it #1). All synths & the mixers power switch are left off, leaving only the DAC-1 to power up when the PL-Plus #1 is switched on.

My (active) monitors connected to another Furman PL-Plus power conditioner (we'll call it #2). I received this PL-Plus yesterday off an ebay transaction.

#1 and #2 are connected to different outlets. When both are powered on and I turn on the lights on #2 and grab one of them (either one), the DAC-1 error light goes crazy. (WTF?)

I guess the PL-Plus I got off ebay is somehow causing the problem, but this makes no sense to me - #2 connects to a different power outlet than my computer and #1, and only has my monitors connected to it. My computer sits under it about 4 feet. So the only way the DAC-1 and #2 are even remotely linked are from the monitors - whose power comes from #2 and the audio comes from the DAC-1 (whose power comes from #1).

Sitting here I just noticed that the error light flashes (although much less frequent) when #2 is powered off and nothing is playing (The only thing open on my computer right now is this web page). Strange - but thinking about it, I did have my monitors connected to #1 before yesterday and everything was fine. One reason I got #2 was so I could switch my monitors on/off quickly and still use the headphone output of the DAC-1. I will do more tests taking #2 out of the loop, but does anyone know why the PL-Plus is making a difference here?

Sorry for the long post, but I find this pretty crazy.
Old 24th January 2004
Gear Addict

I unplugged #2 from above - now all I have is the DAC-1 connected to a PL-Plus with nothing else turned on (except my computer, 2 monitors, and lava lamp connected to a different power strip that is plugged into the same outlet as the PL-Plus). The error light is still flashing randomly.

Will do some more tests later.
Old 24th January 2004
Lives for gear

ryan the dac-1 is JUNK!!!!! you ain't know??

sell it to me! heh
Old 24th January 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Teacher
sell it to me! heh
Sure - how about, hmm, $1200?
Old 24th January 2004
Gear Addict

Late last night I hooked everything back up to my original PL-Plus and unplugged the Hosa SPDIF cable, blasted the end with compressed air, then reconnected it. I haven't had the error light come on once since!

I'm positive the SPDIF cable was plugged in before the same exact way it is now, so I'm still not exactly sure what's going on. Bad Cable? Faulty digital out on the Delta 66? Wierd problems adding another PL-Plus to the mix? Good news is I really don't think it's the DAC-1 and the soundcard & cable are due to get replaced anyway.

I'm still gonna try a few more things, but for now, reseating the cable seems to have solved the problem - just goes to show how important cables really are. (FU Hosa!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search