The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk Back Mic
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

Talk Back Mic

I purchased a Samson USB hook up mic a long time ago and i was wondering how i could get it to work as a talk back mic with my Alesis MultiMix8
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

???
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Not really worth it, because it would rob you off one digital channel. The MultiMix8 is a mixer that happens to have a USB1 stereo interface (2 in, 2 out). That's barely enough to make music with, so you wouldn't want to waste that one input as a talkback mic.

Just buy a really cheap ordinary balanced mic from RadioShack etc and use one of the analog channels.

Or, you could use your DAW software as a mixer. Assign the USB mic to an audio channel, and then assign that audio channel to the Multimix. It could then be mixed in with your monitor mix.
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

thanks

but how do i hook it up, haha im not following
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Read the manual. I expect you will need specific USB drivers to load onto your PC. Or you might be lucky if your OS already has generic drivers.

I would expect that when you plug the USB mic into your PC, it will then become available as an audio input to any PC audio applications you use.

So in your DAW, open an audio track and assign that as your input device (read your manual for the DAW).

Once you are getting audio into your DAW, you could then assign the output of the DAW to another audio device. Such as your Multimix.

USB devices are for connecting to a computer. They require software to make them work. So for that reason you generally can't plug USB stuff into other USB stuff - unless it's just a USB hub or cable extender.

So you see what I mean about not wanting to use up your only stereo input? There is no need for a talkback mic if you don't have a spare input for your main vocal mic.

Possibly you might be able to assign your main audio input to Left, and your USB talkback mic to Right.

Easier just to add a cheap mic to your analog inputs, which you have plenty of.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search