The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones
Old 9th April 2016
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones

RM BIV = Ribbon Microphone, Burdukov Igor Vladimirovich

I am not associated with Igor in any way, beyond being a happy paying customer. We have communicated by email a few times, and I introduced him to the Gearslutz family. So, @ burd igor is a member of Gearslutz now, and has indicated by email to me that he will check this thread from time to time and answer questions about his fine RM BIV mics.

In a way, this thread is another piece of Kidvybes' legacy (credit where credit is due). It was Kidvybes who posted a link to Igor's web site and a link to one of his eBay listings in another Gearslutz thread (I will post a link to the RM BIV web site - it is in Russian only, currently - and an eBay link, at the end of this post. I am only trying to make it convenient for any others who may be interested. If I messed up with any of the rules, mods please feel free to make deletions or changes as needed). In his typical Kidvybes manner, he pulled back yet another veil. Here's a link to that thread, if you care to have a look:

Montigomo?

As of this post there are two RM BIV models. The RM BIV-1 is a single ribbon mic which Igor sells in stereo matched pairs. The RM BIV-2 is a single stereo (dual ribbon) mic which can record mid/side and Blumlein Technique recording.

Every mic, so far at least, is hand made by Igor. He also designed the mics. He sells on eBay. The mics sell almost as quickly as he lists them, so even though you may not see any listed the first time you look, keep looking. I noticed some being listed every week, while I was watching to purchase mine. I have a stereo matched pair of the RM BIV-1 mics, and a RM BIV-2 on the way.

As of this post, the RM BIV-1 mics sell for US $230 + US $40 shipping, for a stereo matched pair... and the RM BIV-2 stereo mic is US $250 + US $40 shipping. The only thing low-end about these mics is the price.

<<< EDIT Sept. 24, 2016: Igor now sells the mics direct. You can contact him direct at: [email protected] and
[email protected] >>>

Hopefully, this thread will be used for discussion and sound files of these fine mics. And, as mentioned above, Igor will check the thread from time to time to respond to technical questions about the mics. So, if any of the growing number of RM BIV owners would kindly chime in with thoughts and/or sound files (I will do my best to add some soon), it would be welcome. And anyone considering purchasing the mics, ask questions here. Remember, Igor will check from time to time to respond to technical questions as needed.

Here is the promised link to his web site (scroll down for numerous sound file examples):

Ленточные микрофоны, теперь это самый используемый микрофон на записи!!! - 5 Июня 2014 - Ленточные микрофоны

And here is the eBay link:

RM BIV Ribbon Microphonesburdu-igo on eBay

Attached Thumbnails
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones-rm-biv-1.jpg   RM BIV Ribbon Microphones-rm-biv-2.jpg  

Last edited by no genre; 25th September 2016 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: To add Igor's email addy
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Nut

Is this the same Igor that was selling kits on the Groupdiy site?
Old 10th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winetree View Post
Is this the same Igor that was selling kits on the Groupdiy site?
I do not know, Winetree. That is this Igor's full name given at the beginning of the original post.
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Nut

Hello!
I am a producer of RM BIV microphones.
no genre thanks for opening of this subject at a forum.
Burdukov Igor Vladimirovich
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi! Greetings from Estonia! I am a proud owner of Igor's RM BIV-2. A stereo pair of BIV-1 is on the way. I was amazed by the honesty of Igor's mics. To be true the quality of Igor's mics is better than the quality of the sound clips on his site. I'll try to add some sound samples within a few weeks. Highly recommended!

PS! I am also just a user of Igor's mics, I am not associated with Igor in any ways.

Last edited by margusalviste; 10th April 2016 at 04:21 PM..
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Nut
Hey everyone,
I got my stereo pair of rm biv1's Friday. I finally had a chance briefly this morning to check them out. I stuck one up next to acoustic guitar. Running it directly into my Motu interface. All I can say is wow! What I heard in the room is what the microphone picked up. Very natural sounding. Looking forward to miking gtr cab, horns, piano and drum overheads in the near future. I will post clips when I do.
Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear
The ebay link goes to a user with no items to sell?
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
That's because as soon as they are listed they are sold. Try sending Burd Igor a message on eBay. He will notify you when he has more to sell.
Old 11th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Yes, they sell as quickly as he lists them. If you care to see what his listings look like, bace, here is a link to his most recent sale (as of this post):

RM BIV Ribbon MicrophonesRibbon Microphone RM Biv 1 Stereo Matched Pair Handwork from The Producer | eBay
Old 12th April 2016
My RM BIV-2 arrived today. 8 days from Russia to southeast US.

It sounds wonderful. I need to play with mic positioning a bit. I'll get to do that tonight and tomorrow for awhile. These are very fine mics.
Old 13th April 2016
Gear Addict

Hi,

I am a drummer who is getting into recording (non-professionally) with a newly acquired Zoom F8. I have a limited budget, obviously, but need to get some mics over time. I find these Russian ribbon designs interesting.

However, I am not certain that ribbon mics are right for me. This is due to their figure-8 polar pattern.

Let me explain.

I only record live (studio) performances with improvisation bands. I record my drum kit with an x/y stereo mic (the Zoom H6 capsule), micing and lining the other instruments (keyboards, guitar/bass, bass clarinet and saxophone).

Everything is played live in the studio, so there is significant spill in all mics, especially the stereo pair used for the drums.

The x/y mic I use has a cardioid polar pattern, which is good since it rejects at least some of the sounds from the other instruments behind it and to its sides. I get very mixable recordings this way.

Now, please tell me if these ribbon mics would be completely wrong for my purposes due to their figure-8 polar pattern.

I am looking forward to your input, and I hope I am not deviating too far from the original topic of this thread.

/Magnus
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

The side null of a figure-8 mic is actually much deeper than the rear null of a cardioid (your 'kidney-shaped') mic, so if you point your figure-8 mics in the right direction, it may well be possible to achieve even better rejection. The main issue is that they pick up sound from the rear as well as the front, so placement might need to be different.

If for instance you position a ribbon mic horizontally over the drum kit, you will get excellent rejection of other sources that are in front of or behind the kit, but you will get a lot of reflections from the ceiling unless that is sufficiently high and/or absorbent.
Old 13th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
The side null of a figure-8 mic is actually much deeper than the rear null of a cardioid (your 'kidney-shaped') mic, so if you point your figure-8 mics in the right direction, it may well be possible to achieve even better rejection. The main issue is that they pick up sound from the rear as well as the front, so placement might need to be different.

If for instance you position a ribbon mic horizontally over the drum kit, you will get excellent rejection of other sources that are in front of or behind the kit, but you will get a lot of reflections from the ceiling unless that is sufficiently high and/or absorbent.
Hi Peller,

Thanks for an excellent reply. I edited out the kidney from my above post, since that was a contamination from my native Swedish where the cardioid pattern is known as "njure", kidney...

As I will continue to stereomike my drumkit, so your suggestion of micing from above is really intriguing. This would however necessitate treating the ceiling, I guess. My only serious concern is that I would get too much cymbal this way.

/Magnus
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

'Kidney-shaped' is actually a much better description than 'cardioid'!

Where do you position your mics in relation to the drum kit at present?

When I have used a stereo ribbon mic to record drums, I find it often works well to have the front of the mic 'looking over' the rack tom towards the snare, as it were. That way you get the kick drum and snare drum in the middle of the stereo image, and you are nearly side-on to most of the cymbals, so they are not too overbearing.
Old 13th April 2016
Gear Addict

I position the x/y mic about a foot in front of the kit, capsules roughly level with the cymbals (as cymbals radiate sound upwards and downwards), pointing slightly downwards so as to capture bass drum, toms and snare. I have achieved very good results this way, using no other mics on the kit. If I reqad your description correctly, I think our two set are not so different.

/Magnus
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, that sounds very similar to the placement I've used.

If you were using a figure-8 mic, you could for instance raise it up a little more so that it was tilted by about 45 degrees to the ground. Then you'd have a deep null on the floor where the base of the mic is pointing, where you could put a guitar amplifier or stage monitor.
Old 13th April 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N View Post
Hi,

I am a drummer who is getting into recording (non-professionally) with a newly acquired Zoom F8. I have a limited budget, obviously, but need to get some mics over time. I find these Russian ribbon designs interesting.
/Magnus
Magnus_N
You could try getting creative. And place a figure 8 ribbon such as a rm biv1 in between the kick and the snare. I know a lot of people like this technique but they usually use a LCD. You too can use a mono or stereo pair for room mics and capture the live performance of the band. But you have to experiment and find what works for you. Don't forget to always make sure your mics are in phase.
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
'Kidney-shaped' is actually a much better description than 'cardioid'!
Kidney-shaped, heart-shaped, they both work quite well I think.
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
My RM BIV-2 arrived today. 8 days from Russia to southeast US.
Sometimes mail very well works.
But happens and vice versa. I on ebay warn that customs services send a parcel to the sender and I should send a parcel the second time.
It was in January, 2016. Have returned three parcels without explanation.
I at once in the same day have sent them, in the same packing... Have reached addressees...
Old 17th April 2016
For what it's worth, I've been using the stereo version of this mic for a drum room mic and am super happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N View Post
Hi,

However, I am not certain that ribbon mics are right for me. This is due to their figure-8 polar pattern.

For what it's worth, I've been using the stereo version of this mic for a drum room mic and am super happy with the results.

Let me explain.

I only record live (studio) performances with improvisation bands. I record my drum kit with an x/y stereo mic (the Zoom H6 capsule), micing and lining the other instruments (keyboards, guitar/bass, bass clarinet and saxophone).

Everything is played live in the studio, so there is significant spill in all mics, especially the stereo pair used for the drums.

The x/y mic I use has a cardioid polar pattern, which is good since it rejects at least some of the sounds from the other instruments behind it and to its sides. I get very mixable recordings this way.

Now, please tell me if these ribbon mics would be completely wrong for my purposes due to their figure-8 polar pattern.

I am looking forward to your input, and I hope I am not deviating too far from the original topic of this thread.

/Magnus
Old 19th April 2016
SEED78
I plan on getting a pair of these in a few weeks. These kind of deals don't last forever.
Old 30th April 2016
SEED78
just made my payment for a pair will report back when I get them. was saving for a 3U GZ47fetV, but quality ribbons at this price is not so common so thought I'd pause and get these first.

yay
Old 2nd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
just made my payment for a pair will report back when I get them. was saving for a 3U GZ47fetV, but quality ribbons at this price is not so common so thought I'd pause and get these first.

yay
I believe you will enjoy them, seed.
Old 2nd May 2016
SEED78
I get them in 10-13 days. Might be moving home (and studio) around then so might not get to test them straight away, am excited though.
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Nut

I have a request!
If there are questions, write on my mail at once, it is specified also on my website (http://lent-mic.ucoz.ru/ ):
[email protected]
[email protected]
It isn't really convenient to me to communicate through "Private Messages"
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Today I picked up a pair of BIV-1s from the custom office. Damn these sound great!!
I don't have much to say besides my first impression... I will report back later
Attached Thumbnails
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones-biv.jpg  
Old 9th May 2016
SEED78
cool!! my pair are in customs right now - prob get them in a few days!
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
cool!! my pair are in customs right now - prob get them in a few days!
You will like them for sure!
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Nut

I on the website had had a new record:
40. Record of a saxophone tenor. Modern strokes!
Tried three near microphones: Oktava MK-012, Shure SM 57 and RM BIV-1
I won't be praised, but RM BIV-1 very much was pleasant as me, and the saxophonist.
http://lent-mic.ucoz.ru/news/lentoch...y/2014-06-05-2
Old 9th May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
You will like them for sure!
just what I want to hear!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search