The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head

I have a stereo pair of the BiV-1's if anyone is interested in them. I bought too many.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Aren’t there sanctions on Russian imports?
Has anyone had problems with US customs and these mics?

Or am I mistaken? Wouldn’t be the first time
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post

I haven't noticed anyone mention any issues, here, so far. Sometimes it takes, maybe, around three weeks. Mine were purchased three years ago. Seems like the first purchase was delivered in 10 days. The second purchase took a little over two weeks, if my memory is correct. The major hold up with my second delivery was Russian Customs, not US. I believe each shipment was in US customs just 2 or 3 days.

But again, that was three years ago.

@ Bill Hambone , have your mics been delivered yet?
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
I haven't noticed anyone mention any issues, here, so far. Sometimes it takes, maybe, around three weeks. Mine were purchased three years ago. Seems like the first purchase was delivered in 10 days. The second purchase took a little over two weeks, if my memory is correct. The major hold up with my second delivery was Russian Customs, not US. I believe each shipment was in US customs just 2 or 3 days.

But again, that was three years ago.

@ Bill Hambone , have your mics been delivered yet?
No, the mic supposedly left Russia on March 25th. There is no record after that. I spoke to USPS today, and they had no information at all. It may be sitting at US customs, but USPS said they would have gotten notice of that. So I don’t know what’s going on. If it doesn’t show up by April 25 I’ll file an insurance claim.
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hambone View Post
No, the mic supposedly left Russia on March 25th. There is no record after that. I spoke to USPS today, and they had no information at all. It may be sitting at US customs, but USPS said they would have gotten notice of that. So I don’t know what’s going on. If it doesn’t show up by April 25 I’ll file an insurance claim.
Perhaps you could send an email to Igor? Explain to him your package has gone stealth. He may be able to find its trail from his end. Worth a try, maybe. And I'm sure Igor would not mind helping, if he can.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post

I ordered directly from Igor. It took 10 days to arrive in NY. Not issues.
I got the RM BIV-1 /Stereo Matched Pair.... Awesome mics.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Mine took around three weeks. I ordered them on March 16th and they arrived Monday. There was about a two week gap between when tracking said they left Russia and when they showed clearing US customs.

I’ve only had time to do a quick comparison as a mono overhead against a Sterling ST-170 and a Stager SR2N and I definitely preferred it over the ST-170 and its just a totally different character to the Stager(which is just “vibey” as hell IMO).
Old 11th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
Perhaps you could send an email to Igor? Explain to him your package has gone stealth. He may be able to find its trail from his end. Worth a try, maybe. And I'm sure Igor would not mind helping, if he can.
I did. He said to wait. I'll wait another week and go from there. It left Russia three weeks ago tomorrow, and there's still no update on the tracking.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Package arrived in the United States.
I'm sorry. But the delay occurred for an unknown reason.
Good luck!
Old 24th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by burd igor View Post
Package arrived in the United States.
I'm sorry. But the delay occurred for an unknown reason.
Good luck!
Yeah, I just took it out of the box. I'll record with it Friday. Thanks!
Old 24th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hambone View Post
Yeah, I just took it out of the box. I'll record with it Friday. Thanks!
Great news, Bill! Happy for you.

Please post back with your thoughts after you have a chance to record.
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

So I got mine afternoon- Matched pair of RM BIV Did a recording side by side with a SM57, electric guitar through a Fender amp, one track RM BIV and one track 57. It’s a really good mic, so far so good. Will give it a go tomorrow on other sources using mic’ed pair and maybe drum OH. Do I like it - yes. It is a keeper for electric gtr for me, I have my preferred stereo pair pencil condenser mics for drums and whatever other sources but these give another option.

The experience? Igor - you REALLY need to watch some unboxing videos on youtube if you want to sell anything commercially. Mine came well packed in a box with lots of bubble wrap and air cushions but the mics themselves were simply wrapped and scotch taped with photocopy paper. think you could at least print something on that paper - maybe plot charts etc. Haha but seriously the mics need to be better presented if you want to be in this business. A soft case, a hard case, some useful literature, maybe even some gratuitous BS marketing stickers ...

Last edited by Leftygent; 10th May 2019 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Emoji
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftygent View Post
The experience? Igor - you REALLY need to watch some unboxing videos on youtube if you want to sell anything commercially. Mine came well packed in a box with lots of bubble wrap and air cushions but the mics themselves were simply wrapped and scotch taped with photocopy paper. think you could at least print something on that paper - maybe plot charts etc. Haha but seriously the mics need to be better presented if you want to be in this business. A soft case, a hard case, some useful literature, maybe even some gratuitous BS marketing stickers ...
That stuff all costs money, my friend. You want to keep being able to buy good quality cheap mics, yeah?
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftygent View Post
Haha but seriously the mics need to be better presented if you want to be in this business. A soft case, a hard case, some useful literature, maybe even some gratuitous BS marketing stickers ...
I don't agree one bit. These mics are great. They are very affordable. I couldn't care less about presentation etc.

/Magnus
Old 11th May 2019
I was/am extremely happy with how safe the mics were packed for shipping. That was over three years ago, now. Still loving the mics, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Love my RMBIV microphone - such balanced natural sound. However I need some help. I just moved and I think the mic got bumped around, and now its quiet, muffled, noisy - I think the ribbon is sagging. But I can't get it open - I took the screw out of the base and got the XLR piece off, but I can't get anything else to budge. Need some help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Did, the price on the BIV-3 go up? I thought they were supposed to be $280? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ribbon-micr...-/173319310779

Does anyone have any more impressions to share on the BIV-3? How does it compare to the BIV-1?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchristophc View Post
Love my RMBIV microphone - such balanced natural sound. However I need some help. I just moved and I think the mic got bumped around, and now its quiet, muffled, noisy - I think the ribbon is sagging. But I can't get it open - I took the screw out of the base and got the XLR piece off, but I can't get anything else to budge. Need some help!
Better send, I will repair you.
[email protected]
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The RM BIV-3 microphone is manufactured in a new modification.
Since the RM BIV microphones have become stupid to copy, the essence of the modification will remain a secret and I will not discuss this topic.
Just appeared a new microphone with a more pronounced high-frequency range.
I didn't make it with a condenser microphone, of course.
But the upper range now differs by 2.5 - 3 dB, if you use a shelf filter, for example.
With all this, the microphone remained passive, although it can also be used in conjunction with J-Decor
The intrigue is that this way of raising the high frequency range has not yet been used by manufacturers.
A kind of intermediate version appeared between the ribbon microphone and the condenser microphone.
The purpose of the RM BIV-3 was well established during this time - recording a local sound source.
Its use in stereo systems such as XY or MS is impractical, since two tapes simultaneously receive a sound signal only in the center. From the angle of 45 degrees, phase distortions in the upper frequencies occur.
By the way, I wouldn’t call the two ribbon models any more, there’s a slightly different meaning in this cap design.
This is all the information I can provide.
Copyright is protected!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The RM BIV-3 microphone is manufactured in a new modification.
Since the RM BIV microphones have become stupid to copy, the essence of the modification will remain a secret and I will not discuss this topic.
Just appeared a new microphone with a more pronounced high-frequency range.
I didn't make it with a condenser microphone, of course.
But the upper range now differs by 2.5 - 3 dB, if you use a shelf filter, for example.
With all this, the microphone remained passive, although it can also be used in conjunction with J-Decor
The intrigue is that this way of raising the high frequency range has not yet been used by manufacturers.
A kind of intermediate version appeared between the ribbon microphone and the condenser microphone.
The purpose of the RM BIV-3 was well established during this time - recording a local sound source.
Its use in stereo systems such as XY or MS is impractical, since two tapes simultaneously receive a sound signal only in the center. From the angle of 45 degrees, phase distortions in the upper frequencies occur.
By the way, I wouldn’t call the two ribbon models any more, there’s a slightly different meaning in this cap design.
This is all the information I can provide.
Copyright is protected!
Thanks Igor. I'm trying my best to simplify your statement in English:

Are you saying that the BIV-3 will no longer be made and that there is a new microphone that you are releasing in the future that will have a unique design that gives it some condenser characteristics?

Is the current BIV-3 good to use in mono? based on what on what I've read here, it sounded like a nice microphone and I was hoping to purchase it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Any two ribbon microphone has phase distortion from a 45 degree angle.
I arranged the ribbons as close to each other as possible, but this does not solve the problems.
Therefore, I recommend using the RM BIV-3 for a local sound source (mono).
I figured out how to raise the high frequency range in this microphone in a non-standard way.
This microphone has increasingly become acquired for recording vocals.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Any two ribbon microphone has phase distortion from a 45 degree angle.
I arranged the ribbons as close to each other as possible, but this does not solve the problems.
Therefore, I recommend using the RM BIV-3 for a local sound source (mono).
I figured out how to raise the high frequency range in this microphone in a non-standard way.
This microphone has increasingly become acquired for recording vocals.

Could you please send the link to purchase?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You can order directly from our website.
http://bashaudio.ru/kontakt.eng.html
Fill out the contact form.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search