The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones Ribbon Microphones
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Addict

I really need this mic to record bright sources like classical violin, but I am afraid I won't remember to store it upright every time between sessions. How long do you guys think one could lay these mics down like we put away condensers and dynamics without any concern for potential damage?
Old 19th January 2018
I see the BIV-3 is on sale on the website! It's simply a double ribbon mic with both ribbons facing the same direction (aka bidirectional pattern) correct? Not to be confused with the stereo BIV-2?

Anyone own the BIV-3 yet to share their impressions?
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

RM BIV-3 it not a stereo microphone!
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesta View Post
I really need this mic to record bright sources like classical violin, but I am afraid I won't remember to store it upright every time between sessions. How long do you guys think one could lay these mics down like we put away condensers and dynamics without any concern for potential damage?

Are you thinking to use the BIV-1 or BIV-3 (the new one) for violin? I'm trying to save up for a good ribbon for violin/viola, too and now I'm unusure which one would be better...

Igor, which one would you suggest for classical strings in a chamber music setting? Thanks!
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

RM BIV-3 is a microphone for silent sources of a sound, a violin, an acoustic guitar, a vocal...
It is the individual microphone. Two tapes call into question uses in a stereo to couple.
The stereo of steam is RM BIV-1.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

At last I have earned the account burd-sv.
What there would be no questions.
I sell microphones on ebay only from this new account.
Ribbon microphone RM BIV-1 /Stereo Matched Pair/ handwork / from the producer | eBay
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Well, its been a long time since I promised this but here is a comparison of Igor's RM BIV-1 vs a newish STC Coles 4038 on acoustic guitar.

No treatment or filtering at all. it was just:
Mic -> Console (A&H GS-R24M) -> Ableton @ 96k/24 downsampled to 16/44.1
The guitar is a guild M-120 with knackered strings
the mics were on a stereo bar about 4" apart from each other and about 14" back from the guitar pointing at the 12th fret

The MP3s are the best lame would make as the aif was too big for the 'slutz upload: MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1, 320 kbps, 44.1 kHz, JntStereo

One thing to note: the RM-BIV was in a shockmount, the Coles was not, so you might hear a little more low frequency 'through the floor' if this concerns you, highpass it. I did not edit the files in any way other than to make sure they are level matched; the Igor mic is hotter than the Coles.

I think for the £ the RM-BIV is an amazing value!
Attached Files

RM BIV-1 AG.mp3 (4.03 MB, 4456 views)

Coles 4038 AG.mp3 (4.03 MB, 4463 views)

Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

No problem. I'll send it to Canada.

On ebay in the new account sales limits.
It is necessary to increase the cost of delivery and lower the cost of microphones.
Ribbon microphone RM BIV-1 /Stereo Matched Pair/ handwork / from the producer | eBay
Order directly through the PayPal.
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Still waiting to hear a review of the RM - BIV 3.

Anybody used this yet?

I am mainly looking for use with a viola, acoustic guitar, etc.

Last edited by calebloveless; 3rd February 2018 at 12:41 AM..
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VlaVlnPlayer View Post
Are you thinking to use the BIV-1 or BIV-3 (the new one) for violin? I'm trying to save up for a good ribbon for violin/viola, too and now I'm unusure which one would be better...

Igor, which one would you suggest for classical strings in a chamber music setting? Thanks!
I'm thinking about getting the BIV-1 with the J Decor. I think violins should only be recorded with dark mics. Whether they're ribbon or not, for me, depends of how much care I need to give them. I'd like to be able to disconnect my mics and put them away for extended periods of time without having to worry about what positions they're sitting in.

And for others reading this, please understand that Igor's English skills are rather limited and he isn't going to understand North American lingo... So think twice before you use phrases like "package deal" and whatnot.
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesta View Post
And for others reading this, please understand that Igor's English skills are rather limited and he isn't going to understand North American lingo... So think twice before you use phrases like "package deal" and whatnot.
Thanks for understanding!!!
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Is the biv3 the best option for primarily vocals?

How does it compare to the normal aea, Coles?

Also... What's the pricing? Can't seem to find it on eBay or his website

Thx!
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Thank you for making some really great ribbon mics for a super affordable price burd igor. Those of us who have purchased your mics really appreciate it. Can you share a price list with us please?

Bashaudio.eng

Last edited by Drumhead57; 15th February 2018 at 07:31 AM..
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Is the biv3 the best option for primarily vocals?

How does it compare to the normal aea, Coles?

Also... What's the pricing? Can't seem to find it on eBay or his website

Thx!
Just got word from burd igor - RM BIV-3 dual ribbon microphone is $280 USD. I'm going for a pair.
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Head
I'm assuming $280 usd each, correct?
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm assuming $280 usd each, correct?
Yes. I think that may include the shock mount as well, but I haven't determined that yet.
Old 17th February 2018
Here for the gear

I ordered 2 of the BIV-1's and a BIV-3 - should be here next week. Ill return and report.

Paid:
Stereo Ribbon microphone RM BIV-1/Clip Holder
2 $120.00 $240.00
Ribbon microphone RM BIV-3/Clip Holder
1 $280.00 $280.00
Stereo bar
1 $17.00 $17.00
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

For just vocals should I just buy the biv3? Anybody seen one in the wild yet?
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Nut

More about the entry here:
rmbiv3.rus
Old 1st March 2018
Here for the gear

They arrived.
Attached Thumbnails
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones-20180228_164230.jpg  
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear
My BIV-3 pair arrived today
Attached Thumbnails
RM BIV Ribbon Microphones-biv-3-ribbon-mics.jpg  

Last edited by Drumhead57; 2nd March 2018 at 07:28 PM..
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Nut

This is a mix of all microphones:
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone compared the bv1 to the No hype lrm2 ?
Old 5th March 2018
I'm looking forward to hearing y'alls thoughts about the RM BIV3!
Old 8th March 2018
Here for the gear

Well,

I got my Biv-1's and my Biv-3 last week and I have been methodically testing them on various sources.

Overall, I am extremely happy with these mics.

The Biv-1's had a really nice sound, great for sources with higher volume and where you want that Royer 121 sound. The mic was a coin toss on Viola agianst the Biv-3, different character, but both sounded fantastic.

But that Biv-3. Man. That's a beautiful sounding mic. It was amazing on Viola, acoustic guitar, and some female vocals I tried it on. I am not sure what to compare it to, but just based solely on the ear test, I liked the character of it. It just sounds like a much more expensive mic. Wonderfully warm and nearly perfectly smooth on top. No nasty hype.

FYI: Generally I was running into SCA n72 > Sta-level > Prism Orpheus. I haven't really tried any other variations yet. I am definitely going to be purchasing a cloud lifter, even the Biv-3 is pretty quiet.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebloveless View Post
Well,

I got my Biv-1's and my Biv-3 last week and I have been methodically testing them on various sources.

Overall, I am extremely happy with these mics.

The Biv-1's had a really nice sound, great for sources with higher volume and where you want that Royer 121 sound. The mic was a coin toss on Viola agianst the Biv-3, different character, but both sounded fantastic.

But that Biv-3. Man. That's a beautiful sounding mic. It was amazing on Viola, acoustic guitar, and some female vocals I tried it on. I am not sure what to compare it to, but just based solely on the ear test, I liked the character of it. It just sounds like a much more expensive mic. Wonderfully warm and nearly perfectly smooth on top. No nasty hype.

FYI: Generally I was running into SCA n72 > Sta-level > Prism Orpheus. I haven't really tried any other variations yet. I am definitely going to be purchasing a cloud lifter, even the Biv-3 is pretty quiet.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.
My main use would be to record classical strings (mostly violin and viola)... from your experience with both, which one would you suggest, BIV-1 or BIV-3?

Thanks!
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Nut

Another video:
Old 20th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
My main use would be to record classical strings (mostly violin and viola)... from your experience with both, which one would you suggest, BIV-1 or BIV-3?

Thanks!
Either One will work great, they are both wonderful mics. I want to get another BIV-3 and record in stereo.
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
My BIV-3 pair arrived today
Please give us some hope, or at least your first impression? : )
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search