The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"The Beeb" Xaudia upgraded Reslo Ribbon Ribbon Microphones
Old 8th April 2016
"The Beeb" Xaudia upgraded Reslo Ribbon

Any reports? What's the deal?
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

I was thinking to myself when talk about it popped up on another thread, that the only way to make one of those Reslos sound good would be to rip everything out of it and replace it with all new stuff...

...and looking at the site, I see that's what they're doing!
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Maniac

The original BBC report on the Reslo mics from 1961 is available online: here.
Old 9th April 2016
yes, i'd also like to know if anyone has tried this mod?
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
yes, i'd also like to know if anyone has tried this mod?
I believe multiple people have. Any other questions? ;-)
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

I've been emailing with them. It's 100 pounds for a complete overhaul vs almost the same cost to buy the parts and do it yourself. Kind of a no brainer.
I've had one of these for a few years and it never gets any use because of impedance issues and general noisiness.
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Maniac

I've got one, it gets quite a decent amount of use. I like it as a mono overhead and it can be great on guitar amps a few feet back. It's got a good transient response, they're quite mid focused but the top end is pretty smooth.
It's still probably the noisiest mic I own and I wouldn't use it on it's own for anything delicate and exposed but in most situations it's fine. It ain't gonna be your go to VO mic.
Never going to compete with a Coles or a Royer but definitely useful.
Old 9th April 2016
SEED78
I have a Beeb. Really like it on vocals, sounds funky. Good customer service too. Can't complain about price either.
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Head

>I've had one of these for a few years and it never gets any use because of impedance issues and general noisiness.

Hi Junkshop

Do you have one of our Beeb Reslos that I upgraded and serviced? If so and you are having noise issues please get in touch and I will sort them out for you. They should not be excessively noisy.

Cheers
Stewart
Xaudia
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Maniac

I have a matched pair of Stewart's Beebs. In another thread I compared them to 4038's, which is how I think this thread got kicked off. Other than the link above I haven't chimed in here yet because I didn't want to look like a sockpuppet. Now Stewart has dropped in...

I am absolutely thrilled with the mics. They work brilliantly on any source (hence the comparison with 4038's), I use them regularly on overheads, guitar cabs, bass cabs, room mics (not just drums), vocals, acoustic guitar, front of kit, brass, strings and other stuff (in that order of regularity). I always shoot out three or four mics for any purpose and the Beebs win a lot of the time. If I had another six or so I would happily do an entire album with just these mics (the only other mics I could do this with would be 4038's, 4021's, Gefell M7 stuff, U87's (not Ai), and maybe Beyer M88's - only got one recently so I'm not sure yet).

See! I do sound like a shill, I should have kept my mouth shut...
Old 16th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra50 View Post
>I've had one of these for a few years and it never gets any use because of impedance issues and general noisiness.

Hi Junkshop

Do you have one of our Beeb Reslos that I upgraded and serviced? If so and you are having noise issues please get in touch and I will sort them out for you. They should not be excessively noisy.

Cheers
Stewart
Xaudia
No, no, no. Mine is a stock, original, unmodded 1960's version. I'll be sending it to you to refurbish this summer.
Sorry for the confusion.
Old 18th April 2016
Thanks for the info CaptainMarc!

So how do they differ from the 4038, and any idea how they compare to the Shinybox mics?
Old 10th October 2016
I just got mine today. Did a quick vocal test and was very pleasantly surprised. I liked it a lot more than the Royer R101 and the Avantone CR-14. It's got the ribbon smoothness but more definition. Can't wait to try it on front of kit, bass cab and acoustic guitar!
Old 11th October 2016
Instant Breakbeat Funk on snare and hat. Bloody Love mine!
Old 12th October 2016
Just spent the morning at the studio testing the mic on several duties and with several preamps. It’s really good as a front-of-kit drum mic, cool vintage vibe with a lot of body. It would certainly be my choice if I needed to record a one-mic mono drum track.

I’ve gotten a stellar acoustic guitar sound pairing the mic with a Neve-style preamp (Golden Age Project Pre-73 MkIII), and positioning it about 1.5 feet from the guitar. The HPF and AIR filters on the GAP gave it a finished quality that I wasn’t able to get with other (more expensive) preamps. It performed better than the Royer here as well.

I still have to try it on bass cab and violin, and also try it with API-style preamps. I'm already wondering if I should get another one to have a stereo pair...
Old 12th October 2016
SEED78
must dig mine out - from memory it sounded large and detailed on vocals.
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Addict
For those reading this thread rememeber its about the upgraded "rbt style" Reslo now called "Beeb" by Xaudia not the standard unmodded Reslo ribbon mic.

A lot of the these old mics have junk and filings stuck on the original ribbon and with the really low impedence transformers they tended to be not so usable in todays prisitine digital world of recording. By upgrading the transformer to match the Ohms of more modern preamps, in conjunction with cleaning the head unit and replacing the ribbon and fitting an XLR barrel , these Reslo's are now quiet and very useable and offer just something a little sonically different to the other standard Ribbon contenders for under the $1000 mark in the current market. I like them.
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

I finally had mine done last month. Turn around was about two weeks (and most of that was Canada to UK and return shipping). The work and customer service was fantastic. The mic has gone from useless to really great. I haven’t had a chance to use it in tons of places yet (mostly violin, snare and overheads so far) but it’s been pretty great everywhere I’ve put it. It’s brighter than my other ribbons ( which is actually a plus) but has lots of body. It’s really nice as an overhead or front of kit mic.
Stewart was amazing. I can’t recomend his service highly enough.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search