The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone know name of this online communication thing?
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone know name of this online communication thing?

In this Q&A session -> https://youtu.be/tOB5TBaUKWc?t=1640 .. Bob Clearmountain talks about an online real-time communication system (27min20sec).

I'm interested in those kinds of things. But Clearmountain doesn't mention a name of the product/solution or anything like that. He only says "That ISDN thing is fantastic" and "It's real expensive".

Later in the video he does however mention Facetime and Nicecast, but Nicecast costs $60. Doesn't qualify as "real expensive" to me, and I get the impression 'the ISDN thing' is something other than those. (I know ISDN is a communication protocol too).

Is anyone here familiar with what he might be talking about? Anyone knows what name or technology he's talking about, so I can research it myself? I'd like to check it out.

thx
/SK
Old 8th April 2016
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Ah, it helped alot. Thanks
Old 8th April 2016
Worth noting that SoS article is ~17 years old.

ISDN is a more or less 'ancient' technology developed in the 1980s to enhance video and audio connections over telephone lines. It was one of the first 'high speed' data connections available on a somewhat ad hoc basis (because it, in part, used the then-existing [landline] telephone networks). It generally provided up to 128 kbps throughput -- not even enough to stream and play a 128 kbps MP3 in real time. (But you could combine multiple, expensive ISDN lines to provide greater bandwidth.)

It's been extended and was used (and may still be in use in some areas) by the broadcast industry. But it's largely been supplanted by high speed, broadband data communications.

When they say 'real time' -- that doesn't mean it defies the laws of physics and magically transports audio, video around the world instantly, faster than the speed of light. Hardly. There will still be 'considerable' latency -- as there will with ANY analog or digital electrical signal. Even if you could find and afford a dedicated analog connection, it would, for instance, take at least 30 ms for a signal roundtrip between LA and NY -- that's with NO digital conversion in between, and without taking into account circuit delays that might be induced by analog signal buffering along the way. (But, of course, ISDN is a digital protocol and that implies AD and DA conversions on either end AND digital signal buffering along the way.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integr...igital_Network
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Worth noting that SoS article is ~17 years old.

ISDN is a more or less 'ancient' technology developed in the 1980s to enhance video and audio connections over telephone lines. It was one of the first 'high speed' data connections available on a somewhat ad hoc basis (because it, in part, used the then-existing [landline] telephone networks). It generally provided up to 128 kbps throughput -- not even enough to stream and play a 128 kbps MP3 in real time. (But you could combine multiple, expensive ISDN lines to provide greater bandwidth.)

It's been extended and was used (and may still be in use in some areas) by the broadcast industry. But it's largely been supplanted by high speed, broadband data communications.

When they say 'real time' -- that doesn't mean it defies the laws of physics and magically transports audio, video around the world instantly, faster than the speed of light. Hardly. There will still be 'considerable' latency -- as there will with ANY analog or digital electrical signal. Even if you could find and afford a dedicated analog connection, it would, for instance, take at least 30 ms for a signal roundtrip between LA and NY -- that's with NO digital conversion in between, and without taking into account circuit delays that might be induced by analog signal buffering along the way. (But, of course, ISDN is a digital protocol and that implies AD and DA conversions on either end AND digital signal buffering along the way.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integr...igital_Network
Bingo. Well said. Not to worry though because, last I heard, all the major corporations are onboard for 10GB a second (!) satellite. They actually want to do away with cabling altogether by providing FREE (yes, I said it) satellite for everyone. I still doubt it will be totally free, but this plan has in fact been in the works for more than a decade now. To my knowledge, Microsoft was leading the charge at one point. Not sure where the whole scheme is sitting at this point.. NASA is probably on it for all I know..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search