The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ultimate Bass DI's. A-Design Reddi
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
The Reddi is great. But I think Bruce Seifreids Evil Twin is a tad better.

YouTube - Eclair Engineering Evil Twin Tube DI

Of course, short of driving up to Bruce's joint to see if he has any, you might as well buy the Reddi.
Could you please elaborate on what you think makes Evil Twin better apart from maybe more output? Would you pay $895 for a used Evil Twin? I'm weighing that against a Reddi or JDI... or Summit 2BA and swapping out tubes. Aargh.
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
I A/B'ed a REDDI that I had on demo to my BSS AR-133 and Countryman Type 85 DI's, with the latter two going into one of my AMS-Neve 1073 Reissues (with the EQ bypassed, IIRC). The REDDI's frequency response really does go a lot lower. I bought the REDDI and sold the BSS. I'm still debating whether to sell the Countrymans and replace them with more Radial JDV Mk3's.
Men you have to try the JDV!! Absolutly killer!!
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
My bad. I just went and looked at exactly where I have my REDDI set and I should've said 8 o'clock, not 7. I set the REDDI output very low and use the 1073 for proper gain staging. I found that keeping the REDDI low on the output reduced the noise floor while still giving me an amazing sound. The 1073 just adds to that great sound (the Pacifica also works amazingly well if you don't have a 1073).
The reddi output is 600 ohms what is for line input, not mic input from what i understood.
If you look at the back of the Avalon U5 ( i have one , as well as a millennia TD-1 and i'm about to buy the REDDI i was lent by Funky Junk / Fr), you' ll see that the output to feed mic pre's is labeled 150 ohms, whereas teh output specified for feeding line level inputs, is labeled 600 ohms (like the reddi) .

I have plugged the REDDI in the Millennia TD-1 line input, then i'm not obliged to push the reddi at max if i don't want to nor obliged to keep the gain very low to do not saturate a preamp.
Old 18th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
The reddi output is 600 ohms what is for line input, not mic input from what i understood.
If you look at the back of the Avalon U5 ( i have one , as well as a millennia TD-1 and i'm about to buy the REDDI i was lent by Funky Junk / Fr), you' ll see that the output to feed mic pre's is labeled 150 ohms, whereas teh output specified for feeding line level inputs, is labeled 600 ohms (like the reddi) .

I have plugged the REDDI in the Millennia TD-1 line input, then i'm not obliged to push the reddi at max if i don't want to nor obliged to keep the gain very low to do not saturate a preamp.
Whatever works is cool. I find the Reddi sounds great into a mic pre like 1073 or Pacifica regardless of any slight mismatch in impedance.
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Are most of you guys running your Reddi through a preamp afterwards or are some of you going out of your Reddi and straight to tape/converters? I'm also not talking about compressors here either. I was just wondering how many were using a preamp for additional signal boost/flavor after the Reddi as opposed to straight into the recorder?

I'm just wondering because I always run my JDI into a preamp before recording it but the JDI is also not the Reddi.
If i plug my jazz bass straight into the reddi , then to some Motu HD192 (what i've been using for a while but i'm buying a proo tools) , the level is low !
I need to put something else after to add some gain.
With the Avalon U5 , there's no need for that but there's not tons of gain ( but still enough to overload the input).
With the TD-1 , there is more than enough gain .
Old 18th November 2011
Deleted User
REDDI rules. They also perfect on electric pianos. Use them straight into a line input with active basses. For passive, gain it up.
Old 18th November 2011
avalon u5... love it
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Apologies for the shameless plug....

Reddi, (2) Lil Freqs, Purple Biz all priced to sell!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search