The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
digital performer anyone?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

If DP is stable (mine is) and if your track count is reasonable, and if you don't need to constantly interface with PT projects or engineers, then DP can save you thousands of dollars, which you could then spend on better mics and pres, and end up with better quality sound. So if sound quality is your main concern, and you fit the above description, DP is a no-brainer.
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

MOTU vs Goliath

Digital Performer cured my fear of flying. It is the best DAW in the history of time. My wife wouldn't marry me unless I got rid of my PT HD rig. When I was using Cubase my neighbor's dog always jumped my fence and attacked me. With DP, he brings me my paper and cleans his doo-doo out of my yard. I was under investigation for tax evasion when using Logic but with MOTU on my side I'm up for sainthood. I couldn't get arrested as a writer with Nuendo but my DP tracks got me 6 co-writes on McCartney's next record and I'm going to score the next 3 Star Wars movies.

Good Luck,

Ted
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddawg View Post
Digital Performer cured my fear of flying. It is the best DAW in the history of time. My wife wouldn't marry me unless I got rid of my PT HD rig. When I was using Cubase my neighbor's dog always jumped my fence and attacked me. With DP, he brings me my paper and cleans his doo-doo out of my yard. I was under investigation for tax evasion when using Logic but with MOTU on my side I'm up for sainthood. I couldn't get arrested as a writer with Nuendo but my DP tracks got me 6 co-writes on McCartney's next record and I'm going to score the next 3 Star Wars movies.

Good Luck,

Ted
You too! I thought it was just a fluke in my case....
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I’ve bought DP twice. First Version 4.5, couldn't fall in love with it, sold it 6 months later. Bought 5.11 4 months ago, and alas, same feeling, couldn't fall in love with it. Used Logic for 2 years, love and hate relationship, finally full circle, back to Protools. The grass was not greener, in fact, the others were astro turf. Looked great from the fence, but really didn't tickle the toes when you walked on it.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

Some of this sounds like - whatever you get used to using is where your comfort zone lies and so you naturaly think it's the best. I am a DP user and have been for 20 years or so - since it was just Performer. I make my living with it as a composer for film, TV (ten years scoring Another World, As The World Turns and Guiding Light), tons of TV spots, song production, etc. Have won four Emmys - whatever. I couldn't do what I do if DP didn't exist. I do alot of midi sequencing and a decent amount of digital audio - vocals and guitars as well as mix down to it running thru outboard comps usually. Just so you guys know that I'm in the trenches day in and day out with this program. My face is looking into that screen every day for hours on end. Does it crash? Occasionaly and usually after I've updated my stuff I'll go thru a few weeks of agony and then I eventually get it solid and it won't crash for months on end - maybe even a year or 2 without a crash. Then I say, okay time to update. I'm 3 versions behind the newest. And then I wait for a slow time to do it and jump in. Then I curse myself for doing it and go thru the nightmare of several weeks of crashes until I get it rock solid again. So that's been my experience with it. Right now I'm in a rock solid period - hurray for me! Once you get it solid then it's great! Tech support can be frustrating. Lots of busy signals and then it's hit or miss depending on who answers the phone. There's one guy - no names mentioned - but he's got the most condescending voice and I can't stand dealing with him. LOL. Man, I wish he would vanish! I use MOTU hardware. I also have 2 UAD boards loaded with just about every plugin they make. Awesome! So that's my experience. I love it and it works and I'm a pro putting out, I hope, pro level material. Can PT do it. Of course. Lots more money - LOTS! As computers get faster, DP is looking real good for everyone to use IMHO.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

to be honest i cant afford the jump to pro tools hd, and ive got a quad mac g5 so i think DP5 is a good step up just for the extra track count and to get away from the limitations of PT LE. i love pro tools! and would get the HD if i could afford it, but people forget that for a half decent HD setup your going to have to spend at least 5-8000 on it. DP=400 quid!

i do see the advantage!
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Right on. For a fraction of the price of a PT HD system you'll get a relatively reliable DAW and enough $$ left over for some nice mics, pres, plug-ins, outboard and monitors and acoustic treatment for your room(s) and when your business/clients require an upgrade to PT you'll have a higher perspective on what PT wiil add. Then, you'll already have your high-end 2 channel pre, maybe a nice channel strip, a great LDC, a Royer 122V, a pair of SDC mics and a UAD set-up. So do the DP thing and Bob's yer uncle.
Peace
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

DP

I did pretty much my whole record on DP4.61/BLA modded traveler...except live drums...that and the mixing was done at a studio on PT HD, and a fortune's worth of vintage outboard. Lots of VI stuff, and my DP rig is rock solid on a dual 1.8 w/4.5 gigs RAM.
<><
mark
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

DP rock solid for me too. Only complaint I have is that once you start adding Virtual Synths/samplers, etc. to go along with your audio, it bogs down pretty quickly. When this happens, you have to raise the buffer and thus latency. You can freeze tracks, but I'm always tweaking stuff, and you have to refreeze in real time if you want to change anything. From what I've read, Logic and maybe others are better with VIs. Other than that, DP is great.

Delcosmos, I'm interested in your SCSI setup! Do you have to use up a PCI slot to do the SCSI thing? I bet that fast of a drive makes a huge difference.

j
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
DP rock solid for me too. Only complaint I have is that once you start adding Virtual Synths/samplers, etc. to go along with your audio, it bogs down pretty quickly. When this happens, you have to raise the buffer and thus latency. You can freeze tracks, but I'm always tweaking stuff, and you have to refreeze in real time if you want to change anything. From what I've read, Logic and maybe others are better with VIs. Other than that, DP is great.

Delcosmos, I'm interested in your SCSI setup! Do you have to use up a PCI slot to do the SCSI thing? I bet that fast of a drive makes a huge difference.

j
It's funny, I'm using an old (2001) 15000 rpm ultrascsi 3cheetah with an old card, since I have an expansion chasis, I have no problem with pci slots, the card is an old adaptec pci card, yes a fast Hard drive make a huge difference.

I love DP, motu is very slow on their updates and eveytime they release a complete new version, you have to wait a few updates in order to get some stability.

best regards.

Armando Avila.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

whats the deal with getting a discount on dp5 directly from the site if you have competing software/hardware?
Old 3rd November 2007
pretty happy with DP 5

Hey slutz !

I own a DP rig on a brand new Mac Pro with 2xHD192 and a bunch of Audio Units plug-ins (PSP, URS, Altiverb etc.) and it crashes very barely. Maybe once avery 2-3 weeks of intensive work.
So - talking computers - I would say : stable.

Now, I used to work on a PT rig (Accel 3 + 192 interface) with tons of plug-ins and it was more accurate but a bit less round - sonically speaking.
And the plugs never made me forget about the real stuff ...

So, the only complaint I have with DP is I have trouble keeping the 3-dimensional sound using rhe Master bus to render my mixes. It is like my tracks are fighting against each other when they are too many ... I'll find a way ... maybe a summing mixer and a bit more experience ;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search