The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
buss compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st April 2016
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Roloalcien's Avatar
buss compressor

Hey guys I really want to buy an excellent analogue compressor for the mixbuss but I see the prices of the most famous ones and it´s ridiculous.

I´ve thought about maybe getting an used one of the top line such as the api 2800, or the ssl gcomp

or give it a chance to the slate dragon (which is a fet and it´s not so common for mixbuss) or get a bettermaker 500 series comp

do you recommend me any other brands? I use plugins as well but for this particuar case I´m just interested in analogue compressors.

thanks
Old 1st April 2016
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
DMichaelJohnson's Avatar
Check out TK Audio. We're very happy with the BC1-S.
Old 1st April 2016
  #3
Village Idiot
 
Labs's Avatar
 

I built this...

http://bymunsonandfletcher.com/wp-co.../09/MSVECA.jpg

Gustav
Old 1st April 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
Hey guys I really want to buy an excellent analogue compressor for the mixbuss but I see the prices of the most famous ones and it´s ridiculous.

I´ve thought about maybe getting an used one of the top line such as the api 2800, or the ssl gcomp

or give it a chance to the slate dragon (which is a fet and it´s not so common for mixbuss) or get a bettermaker 500 series comp

do you recommend me any other brands? I use plugins as well but for this particuar case I´m just interested in analogue compressors.

thanks
Right here on GS STAM audio is selling preorders for their SSL4000 bus compressor. Price is $495 right now and $595 later. They make very good quality stuff. I've got one reserved for myself. Check it out in New Products.
Old 1st April 2016
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Roloalcien's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Right here on GS STAM audio is selling preorders for their SSL4000 bus compressor. Price is $495 right now and $595 later. They make very good quality stuff. I've got one reserved for myself. Check it out in New Products.
Wow that is so cool, does it sound exactly the same? or how similar is it? I mean for a $3739 difference if the sound is the same/pretty close that is a steal
Old 1st April 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
Wow that is so cool, does it sound exactly the same? or how similar is it? I mean for a $3739 difference if the sound is the same/pretty close that is a steal
You can check out the video that they have on Youtube plus you can check out all the reviews here on GS for the SA-2A that STAM audio sold. Rave reviews. There's a whole thread about the SSL compressor under New Products. Check it out why pay so much more just for a name.
Old 1st April 2016
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Roloalcien's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
You can check out the video that they have on Youtube plus you can check out all the reviews here on GS for the SA-2A that STAM audio sold. Rave reviews. There's a whole thread about the SSL compressor under New Products. Check it out why pay so much more just for a name.

I agree 100%, there are certain brands such as bettermaker,empirical labs and radial engineering that are making a great job and nobody is doing what they are doing so I think they deserve it. However I´m tired of big names such as ssl,neve,shadow hills, api,etc,etc charging those ridiculous prices just for having a big name although we all agree that the quality is excellent
Old 1st April 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mamm7215's Avatar
How much do you want to spend? There's a Buzz DBC 20 in the GS Classifieds for 1495US. You'd be hard pressed to find anything better for the price and it comfortably sits in the 2-3K range of compressors. Or Foote control systems P3EX or P3S second hand if you can find one. I just picked up a P3EX. My buss compressor search is over.
Old 1st April 2016
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Roloalcien's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
How much do you want to spend? There's a Buzz DBC 20 in the GS Classifieds for 1495US. You'd be hard pressed to find anything better for the price and it comfortably sits in the 2-3K range of compressors. Or Foote control systems P3EX or P3S second hand if you can find one. I just picked up a P3EX. My buss compressor search is over.
I think the buzzaudio would be a nice choice, however I want to check those ssl clones, have you tried those?
Old 1st April 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
mamm7215's Avatar
No but I have enough plugs to get the tone if I need it. I can get a similar grab with the P3EX but to be honest I wouldn't want to be limited to just that sound on my mixbuss, so I wasn't looking for an SSL type.
Old 1st April 2016
  #11
Elysia Xpressor
Old 1st April 2016
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Roloalcien's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Elysia Xpressor
Very interesting, how does the 500 series format work?
Old 1st April 2016
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
Very interesting, how does the 500 series format work?
Can't comment on the 500 series as i only have and use rackmount gear. But the Xpressor which i have is incredibly flexible. Very clean sounding, so not to everyones taste. Has many features found on far more expensive compressors. I use it mainly for mastering, it's that good.
Old 2nd April 2016
  #14
Gear Head
 
Saxon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMichaelJohnson View Post
Check out TK Audio. We're very happy with the BC1-S.
+1
Old 2nd April 2016
  #15
Half a year ago I started my mission to buy my first pieces of analog gear - for the previous 10 years I had been using plugins because I was a poor college kid. I also wanted something portable since I used to travel back and forth to a different studio.

Having said that, I actually tried several compressors, which was a hassle because I live in Hawaii and the music stores here have a very limited selection of analog gear. Firstly, I would have to say a lot of it depends on what kind of music you make. I make hip hop, dance, and pop stuff, so I like a compressor that is a little more aggressive. Having said that, here are the compressors I tried:

Lindell77X
Xpressor
Shadowhills Dual Vandergraph
cranesong falcon
Petes place BAC500
SSL G series

After trying them all out on some mixes, I ultimately went with the SSL G series. It was just very effective at pulling together my song and added a vibe that I could not get with plugins. Some people will swear on the Serpent and Obsidian instead of the SSL, but I cannot comment on them because I haven't used either. But I can attest to the SSL working very well for my style of mixing and genre.

I actually did keep the BAC's as well but not for mix bus duties - it imparts too much goo, but is an absolute monster as a parallel compressor for drums and bass, and basically anything else you run through it. I have personally had great results running pianos through them.

Xpressor was probably the second best of the lot in regards to a mix bus compressor. It is incredibly versatile, but didnt impart anything extra to the mix, which is what I was looking for. It was very clinical IMO. Also did really well as a parallel comp.

SHDV obviously looked really cool, but I found the settings to be too limiting for my style.. on the mix bus anyway. I would like some of what it did on one ratio then some on another. It also seemed to add a little too much warmth for me. I already mix bass heavy so that wasn't very conducive to my workflow. I wish it did work out though because it looked cool as hell.

The falcons also looked cool, but just didn't work with my mixing style or genre. It seems like it would be a perfect flavor piece for instruments, but not really a mix bus candidate.

The Lindell was Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. It's cool that it has a mix knob, but for me it took too long to find the right settings.. I felt like the control resolution was very low, meaning a mm turn of the input knob in any direction would yield very volatile results. I did attempt to adjust the input gain trims and all that to make sure I was gainstaging properly, but I just couldn't get it to plat nice with me. When I did find a setting it was really nice though. If driven hard it could really add some life what you run through it.

So I kept the SSL. I now use it mainly as a parallel mix bus compressor, and works phenomenally for that. Oh and you can probably find some really good deals on the classified section of this site.
Old 2nd April 2016
  #16
Couldn't be happier with my TK Audio BC501 if you have a chassis it's a champ!
Old 2nd April 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
I think the buzzaudio would be a nice choice, however I want to check those ssl clones, have you tried those?
There are many SSL clones. If you don't want to check out the STAM version I've heard very good things about the Alan Smart C2 and also the Dramastic Obsidian.
Old 2nd April 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

I'd consider a RNP 5043, used is very affordable, flexible and beautiful. A really versatile comp.

I have an order in on a Stam SA4000. Can't wait.

For a different feel, I use my Pendulum OCL/2 on the buss for more acoustic/folk/country stuff. It's on there right now!
Old 2nd April 2016
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
Roloalcien's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 View Post
Half a year ago I started my mission to buy my first pieces of analog gear - for the previous 10 years I had been using plugins because I was a poor college kid. I also wanted something portable since I used to travel back and forth to a different studio.

Having said that, I actually tried several compressors, which was a hassle because I live in Hawaii and the music stores here have a very limited selection of analog gear. Firstly, I would have to say a lot of it depends on what kind of music you make. I make hip hop, dance, and pop stuff, so I like a compressor that is a little more aggressive. Having said that, here are the compressors I tried:

Lindell77X
Xpressor
Shadowhills Dual Vandergraph
cranesong falcon
Petes place BAC500
SSL G series

After trying them all out on some mixes, I ultimately went with the SSL G series. It was just very effective at pulling together my song and added a vibe that I could not get with plugins. Some people will swear on the Serpent and Obsidian instead of the SSL, but I cannot comment on them because I haven't used either. But I can attest to the SSL working very well for my style of mixing and genre.

I actually did keep the BAC's as well but not for mix bus duties - it imparts too much goo, but is an absolute monster as a parallel compressor for drums and bass, and basically anything else you run through it. I have personally had great results running pianos through them.

Xpressor was probably the second best of the lot in regards to a mix bus compressor. It is incredibly versatile, but didnt impart anything extra to the mix, which is what I was looking for. It was very clinical IMO. Also did really well as a parallel comp.

SHDV obviously looked really cool, but I found the settings to be too limiting for my style.. on the mix bus anyway. I would like some of what it did on one ratio then some on another. It also seemed to add a little too much warmth for me. I already mix bass heavy so that wasn't very conducive to my workflow. I wish it did work out though because it looked cool as hell.

The falcons also looked cool, but just didn't work with my mixing style or genre. It seems like it would be a perfect flavor piece for instruments, but not really a mix bus candidate.

The Lindell was Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. It's cool that it has a mix knob, but for me it took too long to find the right settings.. I felt like the control resolution was very low, meaning a mm turn of the input knob in any direction would yield very volatile results. I did attempt to adjust the input gain trims and all that to make sure I was gainstaging properly, but I just couldn't get it to plat nice with me. When I did find a setting it was really nice though. If driven hard it could really add some life what you run through it.

So I kept the SSL. I now use it mainly as a parallel mix bus compressor, and works phenomenally for that. Oh and you can probably find some really good deals on the classified section of this site.

Thanks for the feedback man, I was thinking about getting an xpressor 500 and a SSL XLOGIC G clone made by the guys from Stam Audio (As a south american I´m exited with what they are doing too).

I´ve heard something about having to replace a battery on the Lindell is it true?
Old 2nd April 2016
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
Thanks for the feedback man, I was thinking about getting an xpressor 500 and a SSL XLOGIC G clone made by the guys from Stam Audio (As a south american I´m exited with what they are doing too).

I´ve heard something about having to replace a battery on the Lindell is it true?
Well I hope you like them, let me know how it turns out. And the whole battery thing, I don't think that would happen for a long time, but even so it would only take you 5 minutes. I don't see why that would be a deal breaker if you liked the unit.
Old 3rd April 2016
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
No but I have enough plugs to get the tone if I need it. I can get a similar grab with the P3EX but to be honest I wouldn't want to be limited to just that sound on my mixbuss, so I wasn't looking for an SSL type.
Please speak more about the foote P3EX please.
Old 3rd April 2016
  #22
Gear Head
 
metaldreads's Avatar
Chameleon Labs 7720
Overstayer VCA
Old 3rd April 2016
  #23
Having owned the 7720 I would personally just save a bit more and get something else. While it will do the SSL type thing it can't do higher GR settings without sounding bad. And it seems to always shrink the stereo image in my experience. Great little unit for a toe in the water first vca buss comp but I think you'll quickly want to move on up.

My two cents at least.
Old 3rd April 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
mamm7215's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Please speak more about the foote P3EX please.
Sure. Stereo or single channel. Not dual mono. Peak/Rms and hard/soft knee. 30db of beautiful class a transformer make up gain with 5 position Hpf filter topping out at 240hz (or 250 can't remember). Color if you drive it but almost none at unity so can be clean. Neve-ish colour to my ears, a flavour more so than a colour. Can be very grabby if you like. Drum squishy goodness if you want, but still sounds great even extreme. I haven't recorded from scratch yet mixing into it but that's next. I'm out of town for work for the next few days. Can't ever see going without it now.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump