The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 550B
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

API 550B

I've been reading up about analog eq's and am thinking of buying an API 550B. Can I buy this on it's own, I've been reading about some 'lunchbox' thing, I don't quite understand. Is the 550B something you can/would want to use on it's own. I've singled-out this one because it's alot cheaper (it's about £900 where I've seen) than most of the one's I've seen (which go up to £9000, way too much), so I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm definetley going for an analog eq. Could anyone help?

Thanks, Jacob
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

you will need a 'lunchbox' or other 500-series powered rack.
there are several to choose from:
brent averill, api, avedis audio, a-designs audio, old school audio all make these racks.

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

check out this link:

http://apiaudio.com/5006b.html

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

If I have to buy the lunchbox is it really worth it going for API money-wise? What good alternatives are there at a more affordable price, or is there a big gap in quality below that mark?
Old 5th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Ashcroft View Post
If I have to buy the lunchbox is it really worth it going for API money-wise? What good alternatives are there at a more affordable price, or is there a big gap in quality below that mark?
If you are only looking at getting two channels of EQ, and don't want a lunchbox, take a look at the API 5500.

As far as good alternatives, I can't think of any that will give you the performance of an API product for less money. They really make great products at quite reasonable prices.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

The 5500 is £2,174 in KMR Audio, I'm going to have to have a long think about this . Does the 5500 have advantages over the 550B apart from not needing a lunchbox?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the 5500 have advantages over the 550B apart from not needing a lunchbox?

well, it is a two-channel unit first of all.
also, it has some features of the 550D and 550M mastering equalizer.
from API's website:

Quote:
the single rack space API 5500 is a two-channel EQ package with an all-discrete signal path that combines the classic features of the API 550B four-band EQ module with the boost and cut precision of the 550D and the 550M mastering equalizer.

also, they look sexy in a rack:

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I don't have any experience with the newer API stuff, but I am told that it sucks compared to the original API modules. Any truth to this? I am thinking of getting some 560s myself, hence my asking.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless View Post
but I am told that it sucks compared to the original API modules.

don't believe everything you are told. Absolutely not true. There are some very minor differences, but they sound the same basically.
Old 5th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless View Post
I am told that it sucks compared to the original API modules. Any truth to this?
No truth to that comment whatsoever...
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for all the advice, it's all very helpful. If the 5500 is really 2 550s, does that mean that one 550B isn't enough (it will be my only eq), I'm thinking it's a bit much buying the lunchbox when I'm only buying one piece of API gear, does it work with other manufacturers? (or maybe I should be thinking about API compressors etc to fill up the rack when I have more money) But it's what I'll do I think, the 5500 is a bit too expensive. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jacob
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm thinking it's a bit much buying the lunchbox when I'm only buying one piece of API gear, does it work with other manufacturers? (or maybe I should be thinking about API compressors etc to fill up the rack when I have more money) Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jacob

hi Jacob.
there are so many choice pieces of gear for the 500-series format....
...and many more are coming out every month or are in development....
check out this thread for a complete rundown of what's available:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/54104-list-here-all-lunchbox-modules-api-500-series-format.html

if you choose to get the API 'lunchbox' or any other manufacturer's rack, all the 500-series stuff will fit into it no problem.
this means you could get (in a 6-space lunchbox like the API) any combination of six preamps, equalizers, and compressors.

here is a picture from the BAE website of a 'lunchbox' (this one a BAE lunchbox) filled with 2 brent averill 312a preamps and two avedis audio e27 equalizers:

check out the thread referenced above for the complete list of what's available for the 500-series format.

cheers.
~j.d.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search