The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TDM vs Native questions
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

TDM vs Native questions

ok guys i'm new here and maybe my guestions have been discussed here before so i appologie if thats the case. anyway here it goes:

i'd like to know if theres any sound quality difference between the TDM and the Native formats? ok that's not all, here goes the rest to be precise and to make it clear, it's about the same plugin, say for exemple a Waves plugin. do they behave (sound) the same in the 2 formats? why do TDM plug (the same) cost twice as much as the native one ? i have in mind the Waves but also MetricHalo ChannelStrip and some others.. Do the developpers have to pay more (to Digi) to have the privilege of coding for TDM?

thanks!
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

I've seen some "blind test" comparisons on here where people feel that they sound different. I forget what people liked more, but, based on the responses, people seemed to think that there was a difference.

Mike
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu.ionescu View Post
i'd like to know if theres any sound quality difference between the TDM and the Native formats? ok that's not all, here goes the rest to be precise and to make it clear, it's about the same plugin, say for exemple a Waves plugin. do they behave (sound) the same in the 2 formats? why do TDM plug (the same) cost twice as much as the native one ? i have in mind the Waves but also MetricHalo ChannelStrip and some others.. Do the developpers have to pay more (to Digi) to have the privilege of coding for TDM?

thanks!

there should be *no* difference in sound quality between native and TDM versions of the same plugin.
i don't know the real reason that the TDM plugs cost twice as much, but i imagine it has something to do with the fact that TDM plugins run on Digi PCI DSP cards and save system resources.
you are paying for that benefit i imagine.
it is possible that Digi does charge more for the right to code for their HD / Accel systems; i don't know for sure.

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu.ionescu View Post
i'd like to know if theres any sound quality difference between the TDM and the Native formats?
They sound a little different from each other - the difference is extremely small - but not better or worse.

Quote:
why do TDM plug (the same) cost twice as much as the native one ?
I'll have to guess here, but maybe becuase they think that people who can afford a TDM-rig also can pay more for a plug-in?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search