The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speaker and Room size Studio Monitors
Old 28th March 2016
Gear Head

Speaker and Room size

Hey guys,

Im moving out of my parents house in a few months and was wondering how my current monitors would translate to a smaller room. I currently have eve audio sc208s and room treatment and everything sounds good. However, I will be moving to a smaller apartment (dont have a place yet but im moving on a budget so itll be small). If I bring my eves I wont be able to place them the proper distance from walls and I wont be able to do much room treatment.

So I was thinking that I should just keep the eves at home and use that as my reference studio for finalizing tracks. And buy cheap speakers that I can use in my apartment (i was thinking the tannoy reveal 402).

What are your thoughts? Does my plan sound good or should I just bring my eves with me?

Thanks

EDIT: forgot to mention that I have the Sennheiser HD 600 headphones. So I would use those to check my low end if I were to get cheap speakers

Last edited by sakai; 28th March 2016 at 11:38 PM..
Old 29th March 2016
The eves get very nasty in untreated rooms.They are rear ported afterall . I would say a sealed + coax design can help in your new place. APS coax is one of those models which I might pick up if I were you. May be you can do the mastering back home when you are on the eves .By the way , for the low end check , the m50 headphone is awesome

Last edited by Woodhouse; 29th March 2016 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typing error
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
The eves get very nasty in untreated rooms.They are rear ported afterall . I would say a sealed + coax design can help in your new place. APS coax is one of those models which I might pick up if I were you. May be you can do the mastering back home when you are on the eves .By the way , for the low end check , the m50 headphone is awesome

Rear ported doesn't have anything to do with that. Neither does a sealed design.
Every speaker of a certain size is omnidirectional in the bass region, regardless if it is ported (rear or front) or sealed.

Coax could be of advantage if they are to be placed very near the listening position, but otherwise won't give any advantage in a treaded vs untreated room.

I'd say take the eve's with you. If you experiment with your positioning carefully, you could end up with an equally nice sounding room.
I wouldn't invest in anything else if you are happy with what you have. They aren't too big for a small room or small setup, so no problems there.

Alex
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeFiNeD View Post
Every speaker of a certain size is omnidirectional in the bass region, regardless if it is ported (rear or front) or sealed.
Dipole and cardioid speakers are never omnidirectional.
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Head

Thanks for the feedback. Ill bring the eves and see how they sound. I moved them closer to the wall in my room right now to see what they would sound like and its not that bad. I know what they should sound like so i think thatll help when im mixing.
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakai View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Ill bring the eves and see how they sound. I moved them closer to the wall in my room right now to see what they would sound like and its not that bad. I know what they should sound like so i think thatll help when im mixing.
Ive had a long time of struggle getting the low end right when i placed the eves against the wrong back wall. I do wish they work in your new room as well . Im quite sceptic about it having known them for quite a long time. But do let us know how it works out. Else what about avantoe mixcubes and a headphone ?
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Dipole and cardioid speakers are never omnidirectional.
Absolutly true. I was just trying to simplify.
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Ive had a long time of struggle getting the low end right when i placed the eves against the wrong back wall. I do wish they work in your new room as well . Im quite sceptic about it having known them for quite a long time. But do let us know how it works out. Else what about avantoe mixcubes and a headphone ?
I also own a mixcube (only own one) that I will bring with me. I normally use that to check my tracks in mono. Are you suggesting that I get another and just use the pair as my monitors? My goal is to spend as little as I can on new monitors and thats only if I need them.

When I placed the eves close to the wall the bass did get a bit muddy but I used the built in low filter to help fix it (set it to -1db). Its obviously not 100% but its not too bad. But i know what youre saying if you place it too close, its like the point of no return nothing helps.
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
But i know what youre saying if you place it too close, its like the point of no return nothing helps.
Yup. Not just that. Your new room is going to be without bass traps right ? Then for composing purposes sure the eves will serve you well . But have this way of throwing the room problems uncomfortably at you. For casual listening it will sound cool to a new listener tho, but since you are used to the neutral sound in a dead room , its going to be hard to accept their new face
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Yup. Not just that. Your new room is going to be without right ? Then for composing purposes sure the eves will serve you well . But have this way of throwing the room problems uncomfortably at you. For casual listening it will sound cool to a new listener tho, but since you are used to the neutral sound in a dead room , its going to be hard to accept their new face
Yeah thats what I was afraid of haha. Yeah I wont be bringing any of the treatment in my current room with me (its a hassle to remove it the way it was installed)

Thats why I was thinking of just getting cheap speakers to compose on and then use my headphones for mixing. What would you say is the smallest room the eves would be good in?

Im moving out to the nyc area so the apartments wont be that big. My room will be literally a queen size bed, a dresser, and my table (which will be close to a wall)

Last edited by sakai; 31st March 2016 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 31st March 2016
Quote:
Yeah thats what I was afraid of haha. Yeah I wont be bringing any of the treatment in my current room with me (its a hassle to remove it the way it was installed)

Thats why I was thinking of just getting cheap speakers to compose on and then use my headphones for mixing. What would you say is the smallest room the eves would be good in?

Im moving out to the nyc area so the apartments wont be that big. My room will be literally a queen size bed, a dresser, and my table (which will be close to a wall)
Im thinking a 16x12 foot room will be ok for the 8 inchers . Speaking of the table , how long is your table? Im quite sceptic if they can be kept closefield like the 5 inchers . Ive kept the 5 inch at 3 ft apart.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Im thinking a 16x12 foot room will be ok for the 8 inchers . Speaking of the table , how long is your table? Im quite sceptic if they can be kept closefield like the 5 inchers . Ive kept the 5 inch at 3 ft apart.
I have sound anchor stands so i should be alright in terms of distance. Im going to give it a shot and see if it works. Ill def post back with what happens. (Ill be fully moved out in a few months). If it doesnt work I think ill go with closed monitors or coaxials. I thinking between the nht superpower 2.1 and the equator D5.
Old 7th May 2016
Gear Head

Hey just wanted to update on what I did. I ended up buying the NHT superone 2.1 because the eves were too much for size of my room. The NHTs are closed ported so they work quite well in smaller spaces
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search