The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Easy to use delay unit for loooooong ping-pong delays?
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Easy to use delay unit for loooooong ping-pong delays?

I've been using a pair of TC Electronic D-Twos for my delay needs, and they mostly do the trick.

However, one place where they kind of stumble is with long ping-pong delays. The D-Two only allows 10 taps total, so you can only get five taps on each side, which sometimes isn't long enough.

Can someone recommend a unit that *can* do super long ping-pong delays?

I'd prefer a dedicated delay unit, but if there is a multi-fx unit that can do this and is fairly easy to use, I'd certainly consider it.
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Surprising about the 10-tap limit with the D2 - I never knew that.

My favourite-sounding box for Ping Pong delay was an original Quadraverb - I set up some CC controller sliders in Logic so I never needed to program it from the front panel and patches were therefore stored as part of the Logic song. I honestly can't recall if there was a limit to the number of taps on each side.

Now I use a TC M300/350 for ping-pong - better count those taps now!
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Near Any DDL with unlimited Recirculation or Regeneration, 10 delays sounds odd? Are you sure this is not a Register or Patch!
Old 26th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Near Any DDL with unlimited Recirculation or Regeneration, 10 delays sounds odd? Are you sure this is not a Register or Patch!
Nope it's a limitation of the unit.

See page 18 of the manual "Press and hold the FEEDBACK/RHYTHM key and dial the DELAY wheel to change the exact number of Delay repeats. The maximum number of repeats is 10 or limited by the total Delay time."
Old 27th March 2016
Lives for gear

Nobody else has any suggestions?
Old 27th March 2016
I can't really imagine what you are doing to need so many tap repeats - but have you considered samplers or loopers? There are some loopers that have programmable fade times if that is necessary. Ones like Pigtronix and the EHX ones are worth a look at the manual to see if they could do what you want. Infinite loops are of course possible, with total control over the start and end times. Maybe pair one with another delay, both sync'd to a midi clock?
Old 27th April 2016
Here for the gear

Traditional Delay Mode

If you select Traditional Delay Mode page 16 of the user manual or select factory preset 2 'Straight 2290 Delay' you will be able to have a long feed back continually adjustable by the feedback amount. If you set feedback to 100% it will loop for ever.

From page 16 of the manual;

The Traditional Delay mode, makes the D•TWO work as any regular Delay unit. The delayed signal is fed back into the Delay line by the FEEDBACK % knob, thus creating Delay repeats.

Or you can turn the number of taps off in the edit menu and instead of there being a number showing the number of taps you will get '-' and then feed back is just controlled by the feedback %.

Hope this helps,
Brezo

Last edited by Brezo; 27th April 2016 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 27th April 2016
Eventide blackhole longest delay unit ive ever heard
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezo View Post
If you select Traditional Delay Mode page 16 of the user manual or select factory preset 2 'Straight 2290 Delay' you will be able to have a long feed back continually adjustable by the feedback amount. If you set feedback to 100% it will loop for ever.

From page 16 of the manual;

The Traditional Delay mode, makes the D•TWO work as any regular Delay unit. The delayed signal is fed back into the Delay line by the FEEDBACK % knob, thus creating Delay repeats.

Or you can turn the number of taps off in the edit menu and instead of there being a number showing the number of taps you will get '-' and then feed back is just controlled by the feedback %.

Hope this helps,
Brezo
You can't do ping-pong delays in Traditional Delay mode, though (unless I missed something).
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Guru

Can you feed the delays back into the D-Two? Back in day of using a tape machine as delay, repeats were done by feeding the delayed signal from the repro head back into the machine. If you have a D-Two, I'm guessing you're using some sort of console. If so this is pretty easy to do.
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

For MultiTap looping...

-the INCREDIBLE Korg DL8000R!
8 delay lines in 2 groups with FREEZE and 10 seconds overall delay memory. You can do wonders with this unit:
Italo de Angelis

-if you need more memory and more taps and/or even post/pre fx to the loop, you should seriously consider Eventide DSP7500/Orville/H8000. There you may go in endless directions with over 4 minutes of delay time and the possibility of having how many taps you want:
Italo de Angelis
Italo de Angelis

-another nice option could be the Lexicon PCM80 (NOT 81). You can expand its memory to about 42 seconds per delay line; 6 of them on board, along with NICE reverb. It only take a couple of cheap SIMMs to add memory.
The 81 can't be expanded and stays around 10,5 sec. per line.
Italo de Angelis

NONE of the above machines is a LOOPER. Like the D-2 they use long delay and max feedback for signal recirculation.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search