The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Alpha link converters, what's the catch?
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
The author of that article doesn't take into account the analog section of audio in front of the converter chip which is responsible for the good and not so good converters in the world. This is the key component that sets one converter apart from the next, even when using the same chip.
Amen to that!

My Behringer DDX mixer also uses Crystal/AKM converters, but they don't sound nearly as good as the SSL's!
Clock and analog front is the key...
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The author of that article doesn't take into account the analog section of audio in front of the converter chip which is responsible for the good and not so good converters in the world. This is the key component that sets one converter apart from the next, even when using the same chip.
I have one last question (thanks for your patience Tony!)..

Quite often I see references to modifications that can be done to improve the converters on a particular unit - the Jim Williams mod for an Alesis HD24 being a good example. Apart from perhaps replacing the chipset with something better, does this also require modifications to the analog circuitry in front of the converters?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Look at the black lion site, they describe the modifications briefly for the upgrades they offer.

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/products.html
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Look at the black lion site, they describe the modifications briefly for the upgrades they offer.

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/products.html
Thanks
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

There have not been much posts on the Alpha link converters in a while. Has anyone purchased them, and if so what is your experience?

Yes the Lynx are more netural sounding compared to the Apogee's. The Apogee have a more gentle natural (analog, unheightend) sound. Both are good, we would have a preference of one over the other, but I would not say one is better than the other. The question is, is the SSL Alpha link on par with these two? Have the chip cost gone down over the years, hence the lower cost? Or is it made in China and this is the reason why it's so much cheaper. If so, then we have heard of the quality issue in China, which thankfully has gotten better over the last couple of years.
Old 13th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Why no 192kHz support? Because the vast majority of users don't go that high up with sample rates.
Yes, and thanks for making a converter that sounds so great at 44.1/24...!

War thumbsup
Old 13th August 2008
Solid State Logic

All of our products are made in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Or is it made in China and this is the reason why it's so much cheaper. If so, then we have heard of the quality issue in China, which thankfully has gotten better over the last couple of years.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

This is a great unit. I owned one for I think around a year and it was very clean.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Someone should do comparison files with the SSL/Lynx/Apogee 16X/Jim Williams modded Alesis HD24XR. I thought the HD24XR teamed up with the RME 9652 PCI interface was the cheapest way to get the most channels with decent converters. Three HD24XR's plus three RME 9652 PCI's will give you 72 I/O at 44k/48k, perfect for using a large format analog desk to mix from a DAW, so I'm thinking that may be the "best bang for the buck champ" for right now. There are not alot of interface options when you start getting above 72 channels I/O of converters. I'm thinking Madi which is expensive, Fairlight's system which is even more money, or going backwards, hooking up some Sony PCM3348's and just transfering files to tape from the DAW in multiple passes. Given that TLA is using an old Sony PCM3348 to get 48 channels to his SSL desk (someone posted some interview link here recently that said that), I would think that even the stock Alesis HD24XR would be better than the Sony and thus good enough (funny how newer usually means better with converters). Talking converters seems to turn into a pissing match quickly around here but I really think there are multiple good options. It's more about how many channels of I/O do you need/want for the way you work and which product best fills THAT need.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search