The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you think of my new tune?
Old 4th February 2007
  #1
Gear Addict
 
celebritymusic's Avatar
 

What do you think of my new tune?

Hi

Ignore the vocal - it's just me getting the tune down, but what do you think of the song?

http://www.myspace.com/shaunthomson

It's the one called 'There'll Be Other Times'

Cheers!

Shaun

If you rate the song on http://www.triplejunearthed.com/thechicgeeks ,
you'd be helping me out , and karma will make you win the lottery.
Old 4th February 2007
  #2
Deleted User
Guest
Shaun, I think the track would sound better and have more LIFE if you sped it up a little. Push up your lead VOX some so we can hear it. Are you gonna repost after you get the vox take you want or are you satisfied with it as is?
Song aint badheh
Old 4th February 2007
  #3
Gear Nut
 
thecount_x's Avatar
 

Not bad at all.

Like the previous poster said, I'l like to have the main vox a bit further forward. Also, I would ride the main vox reverb send in porportion to the volume of the backing track. By that I mean, more reverb as the track increases in intensity and layers and less for example at the part 3/4 of the way through when things pull back. I think that would help the vox sit better as a whole.

Whoever played bass on this track deserves a pat on the back: they were rock solid and really made the things groove.

Good work.
Old 4th February 2007
  #4
Gear Head
 

I like it! very musical and organic.
Old 5th February 2007
  #5
Gear Addict
 
celebritymusic's Avatar
 

Cheers for the comments!

The bass, drums, keys - I programmed them all. It's just the accoutics and electric that was live. The electric sounds dodgey - it's my acoustic run through distortion plugs, and I couldn't get the sound I wanted. Had to use it because my electric has a cracked neck, and won't stay in tune.

I always intended to find someone with a hell decent country voice to sing this one - my vox is okish, but it wouldn't sell the song. Any singers out there keen?

In saying that, I will remix the vox with your effects suggestions - just so I don't cringe so much when I play it to someone!!!

Ta

Shaun
Old 5th February 2007
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebritymusic View Post
The bass, drums, keys - I programmed them all.
man, had me fooled! only after you told me can I go back and suspect the drums might not be real (only cuz they lack a little sonic and dynamic variation). great sounds, great programming! where did you get the sounds?

as far as the bass goes, I still can't tell that it's not real. love the little short staccato notes. I dunno what they're called but they really add to the groove and realism of the track.

personally I don't have any problems listening to you sing this! I kinda felt the vox at the very beginning to be a little loose or insecure sounding but once you get to the 1st chorus I think it's totally fine!
Old 5th February 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Shaun, I think the track would sound better and have more LIFE if you sped it up a little.

Maybe speed up a touch in the Chorus, but leave the verses alone. The vox should push and pull into the song also.

The acoustic performance could be better too, pushing the track along, and pulling when it needs it.

guitar solo has to go, do something else....something crazy.

Cool song though..
Old 5th February 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebritymusic View Post
Hi

Ignore the vocal - it's just me getting the tune down, but what do you think of the song?

http://www.myspace.com/shaunthomson

It's the one called 'There'll Be Other Times'

Cheers!

Shaun

I like the song, verry nice, and cool vocal also, i like the tone and the groove
of your voice, but, i will keep the beat , i will not make so many break from the drums
it kill the groove......but that's only me,.......nice song......
Old 5th February 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Maybe speed up a touch in the Chorus, but leave the verses alone. The vox should push and pull into the song also.

The acoustic performance could be better too, pushing the track along, and pulling when it needs it.

guitar solo has to go, do something else....something crazy.

Cool song though..
instead of a solo, find a cool and organic instrument who can play
the melody, that's always a winner......
Old 5th February 2007
  #10
Gear Head
 

I disagree with bigbone about the drum breaks. I really think the breaks add to the up and down emotional nature of the song. but just like he said, those are just our opinions!

I do agree that something could be done to add more "life" to the song as someone said. I don't think it's tempo though. changing the tempo will change the vibe (which I think is really good). personally I think it needs to kick up a notch in intensity in the choruses as the song goes on. here's where a really good drummer can kick the **** out of the band in a way even really good progamming can't touch. try adding another layer, another... "something" to each succesive chorus to make the overall shape of the song grow as it goes.
Old 6th February 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

nice little melody. Very well done. Good emotion in the vocal. Good overall pitch
I would re record the drums. The acoustic sound isn't bad. But I would redo
that too with a better mic or something it has no sparkle. sounds bland.
couple bad notes in the gtr solo but nothing major. It could be passed off as 'feel'
it sounds like a tele or some similar gtr. It fits though

very good song. I like it
Old 6th February 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
nice little melody. Very well done. Good emotion in the vocal. Good overall pitch
I would re record the drums. The acoustic sound isn't bad. But I would redo
that too with a better mic or something it has no sparkle. sounds bland.
couple bad notes in the gtr solo but nothing major. It could be passed off as 'feel'
it sounds like a tele or some similar gtr. It fits though

very good song. I like it
I do agree, tastfull musicien can always come up with nice idee,.......
but like i said, i like the song, .....and PM me Celebritymusic if you wana
try live drums on your song...who know..........
Old 6th February 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 

I think that the drum sounds are freakin excellent. I don't get the suggestion about re-doing them. It's a strong part for me. If you told me you did them in a great room with a great drummer I, and anyone else for that matter, would have totally bought it. What samples are you using and how did you program them?

Try maybe a slide part in the song. That's what I hear. A nice slide solo and some way back slide ambience. Could be a nice layer.
Old 6th February 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
I think that the drum sounds are freakin excellent. I don't get the suggestion about re-doing them. It's a strong part for me. If you told me you did them in a great room with a great drummer I, and anyone else for that matter, would have totally bought it. What samples are you using and how did you program them?

Try maybe a slide part in the song. That's what I hear. A nice slide solo and some way back slide ambience. Could be a nice layer.
I don't wana be rude , but it's oki if you don't get the sugestion about re doing
the drums , it was not for you...........
Old 6th February 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 

If you weren't lookin to be rude, you failed miserably.

I was just saying that I thought the drums sounded great. My opinion. Did you have one or were you just looking to give an opinion about mine?
Old 6th February 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
If you weren't lookin to be rude, you failed miserably.

I was just saying that I thought the drums sounded great. My opinion. Did you have one or were you just looking to give an opinion about mine?

i was not rude , and don't wana be also.
i was talking to Celebritymusic, if you think that the drums are cool great,
but that's it........don't wana start to argue in here,

Last edited by bigbone; 6th February 2007 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: mispell
Old 6th February 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 

My response about the drums sounding great was in response to Allen. I wasn't saying he shouldn't use you. Your reponse snuck in and I never even saw it. I just went back and reread and it does look like I was arguing against using you. I was not doing that and I appologize if it looked like I was.

And My original point was that I though he did a great job programming the drums. Sorry if I stepped on your toes, Bigbone. Didn't mean to.
Old 6th February 2007
  #18
Gear Addict
 
celebritymusic's Avatar
 

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments.

This was just meant to be a demo - I have sent it to a few country producers here in Aussie in the hope that they have an artist that will want to do it. Any takers here on Gearslutz?

The drums are from Toontracks EZDrummer. What really helped with the sound is that I muted the top and bottom snare mics, so it's just room and OHs. I did it to soften the sound up, but it ended up making it sound more real. I let some of the snare mics in on the bridge 3/4 through the song.

The bass is Trilogy - just fingered electric. I got the feel by playing what I could hear in my head on acoustic guitar over and over, finding a few bars that worked, and then lining up the bass midi notes with the audio data - it's a good way to inject some feel into programming.

I sometimes do this with drums too, if the midi file I'm using isn't quite the right feel - I'll beatbox what I can hear into the soundcard, and then just line up the midi drums hits with my voice, and then erase the audio.

I've not had so many people listen to one of my songs on Myspace before - it's a bit of a buzz!!!

Shaun
Old 6th February 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
bigbone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
My response about the drums sounding great was in response to Allen. I wasn't saying he shouldn't use you. Your reponse snuck in and I never even saw it. I just went back and reread and it does look like I was arguing against using you. I was not doing that and I appologize if it looked like I was.

And My original point was that I though he did a great job programming the drums. Sorry if I stepped on your toes, Bigbone. Didn't mean to.
Reddog, it's ok, we are just saying opinion,and i do respect all the opinion
in here, and they are valid......that's what this forum is i hope,placed were
we can share idee and opinion,
Old 6th February 2007
  #20
Gear Head
 

Nice work man. Great song.

I actually think the solo is okay, just needs a different tone. Sounds a little like a Crate dist.

The performance on the vocals is nice. The first verse and the first vocal part after the bridge could use a little work, but very nice.
Old 7th February 2007
  #21
Gear Addict
 
celebritymusic's Avatar
 

If you rate the song on http://www.triplejunearthed.com/thechicgeeks ,
you'd be helping me out , and karma will make you win the lottery.

Cheers

Shaun
Old 7th February 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
DeathMonkey's Avatar
 

I liked the song, but it took awhile to get into - never a good thing. I wanted more guitar candy, and those drum breaks drive me nuts. It seemed a really conservative arrangement, partswise, and I think I wanted it to be a little more epic - maybe even some strings n stuff towards the end. But if this is a song demo, I guess you want to keep that stuff to a minimum, to allow potential clients and producers to be able to hear whre the song could go, and you have certainly done that.

The essential melody, words and emotion, though, I liked a lot.
Old 7th February 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
My response about the drums sounding great was in response to Allen. I wasn't saying he shouldn't use you. Your reponse snuck in and I never even saw it. I just went back and reread and it does look like I was arguing against using you. I was not doing that and I appologize if it looked like I was.

And My original point was that I though he did a great job programming the drums. Sorry if I stepped on your toes, Bigbone. Didn't mean to.

I think he did a great job programming too I simply didn't like the samples.
I thought the feel was a little 'loose' for that type of softer pop song. I think drums should be tight and subtle in softer pop songs.

But like everything, it's subjective. So instead of saying
'I dont like the drum sound' howabout 'I don't like the drum sound for that song'

Thats where I'm coming from. But sometimes I think people disagree with me
just to disagree cuz I'm opinionated. But it's safe to say we are all opinionated
just some are stronger than others.

cool
Old 7th February 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I think he did a great job programming too I simply didn't like the samples.
I thought the feel was a little 'loose' for that type of softer pop song. I think drums should be tight and subtle in softer pop songs.

But like everything, it's subjective. So instead of saying
'I dont like the drum sound' howabout 'I don't like the drum sound for that song'

Thats where I'm coming from. But sometimes I think people disagree with me
just to disagree cuz I'm opinionated. But it's safe to say we are all opinionated
just some are stronger than others.

cool
I hear you, Bro.
Old 7th February 2007
  #25
Gear Addict
 
celebritymusic's Avatar
 

Hey Deathmonkey

You hit it when you mentioned keeping things simple for a producer to make it theirs - I like recording, but a producer I am not. I could hear a few other things going on, but I'd rather a producer be thinking 'this would sound great if it had...', and then themselves get excited about working on it.

Remember to vote for me on http://www.triplejunearthed.com/thechicgeeks - I want to get some higher chart exposure so I can increase the chance of finding someone to perfrom the song.

Cheers!

Shaun
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump