The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many of you ITB guys (or gals) are using a summing mixer?
Old 31st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
They run it yearly. Double check because usually you have to buy in the promo period but have 30/45 more days to register it.

Edit: you're good - "UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator customers must register their new Core, Custom, or Ultimate package on or before April 15th, 2016 to receive free plug-ins or equivalent plug-in coupon(s). Plug-in coupons must be redeemed by April 30th, 2016. "
If you can recall, are the three plugins offered in the yearly promo always the same ones?
Old 31st March 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiquefreek View Post
If you can recall, are the three plugins offered in the yearly promo always the same ones?
No, always different. These 3 are all killer must-haves. Tip: when you register they'll give you the option to buy 3 plugins for $399 - take it. And they usually let you take the offer multiple times in that first month. $133 per plugin is the cheapest chance you'll get for most of the expensive ones in the $300 range that have been released in the last few years (look up UAD release history). Once they've been out for a few years you can usually catch them around that price during like a December sale. You have 14 days to demo any plugin (and that's reset every time you make a purchase), so plan to use it and take advantage of that intro offer. Check out Ampex, Shadow Hills, API, Culture Vulture, the coming Curve Bender?, the reverbs, etc...
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Maniac

Just mixed a full-length project totally ITB and it sounds great. In the middle of a project mixing hybrid with a summing mixer, sounding great as well. It sounds like you have the know-how to make either system perform the way you want it to. On my current hybrid project, I'm digging using all my outboard gear a lot. Compressors are making the drums pop just right, vocals are sitting right on top in your face, EQs are just so responsive and smooth, bass has a crazy low end extension/growl and so on. I got close to the same feeling ITB for years. Go with what you can work with confidence and afford! Good luck.
Old 31st March 2016
Quote:
No, always different. These 3 are all killer must-haves. Tip: when you register they'll give you the option to buy 3 plugins for $399 - take it. And they usually let you take the offer multiple times in that first month. $133 per plugin is the cheapest chance you'll get for most of the expensive ones in the $300 range that have been released in the last few years (look up UAD release history). Once they've been out for a few years you can usually catch them around that price during like a December sale. You have 14 days to demo any plugin (and that's reset every time you make a purchase), so plan to use it and take advantage of that intro offer. Check out Ampex, Shadow Hills, API, Culture Vulture, the coming Curve Bender?, the reverbs, etc...
Great to know, thanks man- regarding the $399 offer- do they let you select any 3 plugins you want? Or are the more expensive ones off limits
Old 31st March 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiquefreek View Post
Great to know, thanks man- regarding the $399 offer- do they let you select any 3 plugins you want? Or are the more expensive ones off limits
Yep, any you want. Anything that's around $200 or less you can eventually get cheaper than $133 if you wait for sales, coupons, etc. Also check Ebay for used UAD plugin collections, can sometimes grab a steal that way.
Old 31st March 2016
FWIW I have a Tonelux OTB 16 in the classifieds for a good price including a set of DB25 cables. Just sayin'...
Old 31st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
FWIW I have a Tonelux OTB 16 in the classifieds for a good price including a set of DB25 cables. Just sayin'...
Can't believe no ones picked that up yet.

What are you using now?
Old 3rd April 2016
Quote:
Yep, any you want. Anything that's around $200 or less you can eventually get cheaper than $133 if you wait for sales, coupons, etc. Also check Ebay for used UAD plugin collections, can sometimes grab a steal that way.
thanks
Old 10th April 2016
I was wondering if analogue summing is a path i would like to take.
The only outboard gear i have atm are my synths and fireface 400 i really would like to add more character to my mixes overall and i'll probably need more outputs if i choose this route. Since i'm thinking of upgrading my monitoring and summing chain i was wondering what the most cost-effective path would be. Keep the fireface and go for an extra DAC and a maybe a summing box or replace my fireface with something with more outputs and a summing box.

Any suggestions?
Old 10th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Radical Cut View Post
I was wondering if analogue summing is a path i would like to take.
The only outboard gear i have atm are my synths and fireface 400 i really would like to add more character to my mixes overall and i'll probably need more outputs if i choose this route. Since i'm thinking of upgrading my monitoring and summing chain i was wondering what the most cost-effective path would be. Keep the fireface and go for an extra DAC and a maybe a summing box or replace my fireface with something with more outputs and a summing box.

Any suggestions?
Ff400 only has 6 outs(not including hp), so with monitors on 1&2, you you got 4 channels to sum. You're definitely going to need at least 8. The fastest & cheapest way to would be ADAT. I highly recommend the Aphex 141b. It's $400 and on par with the RME quality, which IMO is fine, nice, transparent conversion. Better(IMO) than Rosetta 800, one of the few contenders out there, but twice the price, old and you can only get used(does offer 8 ins too tho). The Aphex box sounds better IMO. That'll get you 12 channels(or 8 at 88.2/96).

Another option would be taking a chance on a newer interface. There some stuff that looks really promising from focusrite and presonus for around $1k. Then for around $1500 the newer MOTU, like 16a, a lot of guys are loving. Pretty nice specs, looks really great. Sure you can do better, but you really begin to hit diminishing returns land as far as how much you spend vs. quality improvement. Also the Orion offers then best value in terms of price per channel if you want the I/O, but the Aphex unit's quality is on par. It can't be beat for $400.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search