The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
which converter to buy
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Nut

which converter to buy

hello,
I'm in the process of upgrading my small comercial studio and am trying to figure out the best way to improve my sound quality. I mostly record heavy metal,harcore and rock as well the ocasianal the pop or folk fusion gig.
I'm curently running an isa 428 and dda interface(12 ch) for pres with 002 and either presonus firestation or 01v as a/d. I'm happy with my preamp upgrade but have a suspision that my a/d is limiting their quality .

I'm trying to figure out if I should get an isa digi card, rme adi 8, or bla 002 mod. Any other options in that price range? My budget is at max 1250 but every $ spent on conversion is money away from mics/speakers/plugs/rent etc. Does anybody know if the rme adi can do a/d and d/a using 8 ins and outs at the same time? having 8 more channels of i/o at mixdown is very apealing and would make spending the extra money worth while. Also would i be able to use rme (dac) for monitoring 002 spdif at the same time as outputing adat from rme to 002(adc)?

Quick question about the isa card.Will having 4 of the isa a/d channels fixed on preamps 1-4 add more noise to the chain if i want to send another preamp into 1-4 of isa a/d. Or would the isa's line in not add noticable noise to the chain.

These upgrades are to acomidate for our studios largest project ever and I'm doing everything in my power to step it up.I have soooo many questions about other stuff too but I'm trying to keep this post relitive to the different converter choices. Let me know if more info about my setup is needed

Any help would be greatly aprerciated as your opinions and insight are highly valued
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Rambelam and welcome to Gearslutz,
I have the ISA with the converters and the Digi 002r and I am still getting the mod done. I think that combo will make a hell of a difference.
I will be sending my 002r out on monday and when I get it back I will let you know how it sounds.

Eric M.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

I have the isa digi card and it makes a world of difference compared to the converters on the 002. I would suggest getting the 428 digi card, hold on the 002 mod, and save your money for a nice 4-channel preamp to line into the 4 line-inputs on the 428. I put a sytek (about 900 bones) through the 4 line inputs (ch. 5-8) on the 428 and it's great, giving me 8 channels of solid preamp through adat into the 002. You can clock to the 428's digi card (much better than the 002's clock), and just use the 002 as your interface w/ pro tools. I wouldn't bother with the mod... save the extra money and get more preamp channels when you can save up a couple hundo more. I've heard mixed reviews about the BLA mod.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search