The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Matching 2 different brand of monitors
Old 15th March 2016
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Matching 2 different brand of monitors

Hello people,
hope its going alright!

One of my Tannoy Reveal 6d just died, it needs have the whole board replaced, and it can't be fixed because for some reason Tannoy doesn't support it any longer, and they don't make that board any more.

So, I still got one speaker that is working, I'm thinking of buying another single speaker and pairing them up. If i see I can't really work like that and that there's no other choice, ill get the second new monitor.

Think it could work?

Cheers
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
The whole thing with having two monitors the same is that they will have the same response and (if made well) be in phase among other things. Different monitors sound different. Your stereo image will fall apart using 2 different ones for L/R.

If you have to replace it, get a pair, not a single of a different type.
Old 16th March 2016
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huan11 View Post
Hello people,
hope its going alright!

One of my Tannoy Reveal 6d just died, it needs have the whole board replaced, and it can't be fixed because for some reason Tannoy doesn't support it any longer, and they don't make that board any more.

So, I still got one speaker that is working, I'm thinking of buying another single speaker and pairing them up. If i see I can't really work like that and that there's no other choice, ill get the second new monitor.

Think it could work?

Cheers
Mix in mono till u find a pair u like. U might find it improving your mixes. (I have)
Old 16th March 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrecording View Post
Mix in mono till u find a pair u like. U might find it improving your mixes. (I have)
I had not considered that, but could be a good experiment!
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Open up your bad speaker and look for obvious part damage - bulging caps - corrosion - anything burnt. It might be an easy cheap fix. What you repair / replace on one speaker, likely you should do to the other too given it's age.
๐Ÿ“ Reply