The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What monitors am I getting?
Old 15th March 2016
Gear Head

What monitors am I getting?

Hi.

I apologize as I know this is not a completely original thread, but I would really like some personal guidance when it comes to purchasing monitors.

I have been mixing w/ headphones (akg k240s) with the sonarworks reference plugin activated on my mix bus (it apparently flattens the eq so that it's closer to normal).

I finally have saved up enough cash for some budget monitors and want to be certain on which ones to buy. Based on my research it seems like the KRK Rokit 5"s and JBL LSR305 5"s are pretty standard for some budget monitors.

I'd say I can probably max out at about 400 dollars total and I certainly wanna get the most bang for my buck. I record/mix primarily punk/rock/pop-punk/hardcore/metal type music so if that effects which monitors to buy please advise me on that. I AM NOT MARRIED TO EITHER THE KRK OR JBLs, but those just seem like what I will wind up with based on what I've read so far.

Highly appreciate any replies. Thank you!
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

I think you should add Yamaha HS7 to your list. I got a pair for under your stated budget, they sound very good for the money, IMHO. Good luck.
Old 15th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
I think you should add Yamaha HS7 to your list. I got a pair for under your stated budget, they sound very good for the money, IMHO. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Based on a quick search it appears that those go for about 300 bucks each brand new, although I do see a used pair for a little under 400. I also see YamahaHS5s for about 200 dollars each. .
Old 15th March 2016
Deleted User
KRK Rokit 6 or the Jbl 305 should be the choice IMO, the KRK ROkit 5 is too light on the bottom

Ignore the Yamaha HS5, no bottom at all
Old 16th March 2016
Gear Head

I was hoping for more replies but thank you guys for answering. I think I'm going with the JBL LSR305s. They seem to have the best reputation.
Old 28th March 2016
Gear Head

You could check Sweetwater.com - they are doing 4 years no interest on the JBLs - comes out to $4 a month... I bought 5 of the 8 inch speakers.
Old 28th March 2016
Here for the gear

JBL LSR305 or Behringer 2030a for mixing rock and metal? Tough choice for me, lots of contradicting reviews plus I won't be able to listen before I buy a pair. I'm also using headphones for additional bass control.
Old 29th March 2016
I'd be very cautious of considering the JBL LSR 305/308 series. I've had LSR 305s for a while now and while they sound generally OK, they have significant design/build flaws.

One, they are very cheaply made, especially the cabinet and main circuit board for the Class D amps and DSP. The board has a mis-mash of jumper wires and splashed around expoxy to tamp them down. I think this is why you see the street prices so low (e.g. Guitar Center was selling 305s for $99 during recent Black Friday sales and Sweetwater is currently offering the 308s for $199 with no-interest financing).

Two, the cabinet material is too light/thin and has a sympathetic resonant buzz around the 170-190 hz range - this is really noticeable when tracking synths. And yes, they are used on isopads and in a treated room.

Three, along the same lines, JBL chose not to include any clipping/over-current protection for the amp outputs, so frying a speaker is a real possibility, even at moderate output. I could see how EDM producers could kill these fairly quickly.

For main tracking/mixing I've replaced the JBL LSR 305s with Yamaha MSP5s (bought used), which are way better made and sound more accurate. I still use the JBLs as alternate monitors for spot checks after mix down, since they do simulate Bose's DSP-laden, semi-sorta-hi-fi sound that most people seem to like. But overall, I found the JBL's sound too colored to rely on them to make accurate mixing decisions.
Old 9th April 2016
Apologies for recommending the lsr monitor earlier in this thread. All the rave reviews got me thinking highly of them. After auditioning the 308, I got a different impression . They can play loud . Thats the only plus I can say,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search