The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
seventh circle preamp: which one?
Old 2nd February 2007
Here for the gear

seventh circle preamp: which one?

Anyone have an opinion on what I should add to my home studio: http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm

All I have for preamps is the mackie 24-8 board, the art voiced valve 2-channel rack, and the traveler (firewire). I'm looking to step-up to a higher-end, warmer sound to counter balance my digital setup. I would especially want it for my vocal, acoustic guitar, and maybe drums.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I have a pair of each of the SCA pres. Of the SCA pres, I prefer the J99 on most vocals, followed by the N72 for some loud male vox. I like the C84 best on acoustic guitar followed closely by the J99. Folks around here seem to like the A12s on drums, I don't get much chance to use them on drums, so I can't really comment. I think you're best off with the J99s for acoustic and vox. They might be good on overheads, too. Just one man's opinion :-)

I have 4 extra John Hardy 990c opamps I can sell you for cheap ($35 a piece), too. Although I think Tim includes his own version in the kit these days, so you don't have to buy them separately. They probably sound a little different though.

Good luck.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear
I had a rack with N72's and A12's and they were very nice for acoustic guitar and vocals and will be a huge upgrade to your existing preamps. Preferred the N72's to the A12's on my vocal and jumbo Takamine acoustic. I compared the A12's to my brothers new API3124 on drums and the A12's sound nothing like the 3124......but still better than your existing pre's.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

A friend of mine recorded two jazz/nu-funk albums using a number of N72s and J99s, for which I did the pre-mix auditionings and they sounded pretty successful to my ears.

I haven't used any of them myself, though, as we usually design and build our own mic pres, apart from the ready-made ones that we'd bought over the years.

B.
Old 2nd February 2007
I have A12's had j99's which I regret selling. I use the A12's on the drums. J99's are killer on drum overheads vocals and bass! I would rock the N72's on some vocals, bass, guitar and synth. I didn't like the j99's for close micing any drums but the overheads are nice and wide.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

I have 4 N72's & 4 A12's & love them! A12 & rock guitar is a home run!!!!
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

i have 4 a12, 2 n72, and 2 j99... It works the spectrum.

They are fantastic... But i had mine built for me which ended setting me back like $4500 but well worth it.

They did beat out alot of other preamps with bigger names, and I saved/made money by selling some other preamps. And that bought me some nice comps...

Go for 4A, 2N, 2j
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

once you get the rack youre just going to put all the flavors in there anyway, so why even bother asking which one?

think long term.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Head

Yeah, what Brad said....

But for starters, based off what you said, I'd think that instant "color" gratification would be the A12 and N72. Both are really great pres with lots of anti-digital color....loves me some x-formers.

heylow
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Im quite weird.... I've got 3 A12s, 2 N72s, 3 J99s...I thought about it like this..

2 J99s for over head and still one for bass guitar
2 A12s for toms and still one left over for snare or elec guitar
or 2 A12s for snare and kick and one left over for elec guitar

just trying to justify my (purposeful) odd numbers
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

A lot of this depends on the kind of sound you're after.

I use my J99s on bass, overheads, acoustic guitar and vocals when I want them to sound big, full and airy. I use it more for a Pop, Folk, Country or Jazz sound. Overhead mics sound enormous thru them.

For rock bass or vocals the N72 is the shizz, not to mention electric guitars.. Lower mid bump with a bit of edge and a ton of attitude. I've also loved them on synths, kick, toms and snare too.

I just got an A12 based on all I've heard about it and I'm looking forward to trying it out on a bunch of different things, especially snare drum.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
I have 4 extra John Hardy 990c opamps I can sell you for cheap ($35 a piece), too.
Good luck.
PM sent.
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the great input everyone. I would love to eventually get the 4-2-2 config. Don't have that kind of cash at the moment, but could start building toward that with one or two.

Another engineer friend of mine recommended a used Sytek MPX-4A as a great bang for the buck way to upgrade my setup.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search