The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Headphone for mixing: Beyerdynamic DT 990 / 880 or AKG Q701 Quincy Jones / K701
Old 8th March 2016
  #1
Headphone for mixing: Beyerdynamic DT 990 / 880 or AKG Q701 Quincy Jones / K701

Hi,

I've already got JBL LSR305 and Audio Technica ATH-M50S and Scarlett 18i8 as my main audio interface. I'm looking for a pair of headphones for mixing/mastering. I can afford for those on the title I can't spend more than ~$200. My main genre are pop/rock/metal and sometimes orchestral/hybrid rock.

Which one will you suggest? I have almost no choice to try them all because I live in Vietnam. If I pick one, I will have somebody ship them for me.

Thanks!
Old 8th March 2016
  #2
Gear Nut
 
chip's Avatar
 

I would suggest that you give up on the idea of "mixing & mastering" with headphones. But, if just simply have to use headphones, i would look for the hi-end direction of: ultrasone or focal..
Old 8th March 2016 | Show parent
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I would suggest that you give up on the idea of "mixing & mastering" with headphones. But, if just simply have to use headphones, i would look for the hi-end direction of: ultrasone or focal..
I don't use headphone as my main output because most of the time I mix on LSR305. I just use it to check the mix.

For those cans that you suggest, I can't afford them at all at this time. Max 200 bucks.
Old 8th March 2016
  #4
Gear Nut
 
chip's Avatar
 

Ultrasone PRO-750 - Thomann UK

push your budget to $230, and you get yourself a real nice pair (imo) of cans
Old 9th March 2016 | Show parent
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Ultrasone PRO-750 - Thomann UK

push your budget to $230, and you get yourself a real nice pair (imo) of cans
I think closed back HP is good for tracking but not for mixing/mastering at all...
Old 9th March 2016
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Ive got HD600 and old K240, it seems for mixing I like K240 more
Old 9th March 2016 | Show parent
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mando1 View Post
Ive got HD600 and old K240, it seems for mixing I like K240 more
I'm going to spend some more than K240. Why do you prefer K240 than HD600?
Old 9th March 2016 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Addict
 

K240 its more revealing for me, bit more fatiquing too, but maybe thats just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Left View Post
I'm going to spend some more than K240. Why do you prefer K240 than HD600?
Old 9th March 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 

As far as I know the AKG Q701 is identical in sound to the K701. The K701 is one of the better headphones for mixing in it's price range and a lot cheaper than the Q701 (at least in my part of the world). But they are very bass light so if your intentions are to check how the mix would sound on typical consumer bass boosted headphones it would be completely useless.
Old 9th March 2016 | Show parent
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mando1 View Post
K240 its more revealing for me, bit more fatiquing too, but maybe thats just me...
Thanks for your opinion!


Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
As far as I know the AKG Q701 is identical in sound to the K701. The K701 is one of the better headphones for mixing in it's price range and a lot cheaper than the Q701 (at least in my part of the world). But they are very bass light so if your intentions are to check how the mix would sound on typical consumer bass boosted headphones it would be completely useless.
For Q701, I mean this one: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-...&keywords=q701. It's quite cheaper than K701 on Amazon.

I'll take care of the low end if I buy them. Thanks for your advice too!
Old 9th March 2016
  #11
Gear Addict
 

While the Ultrasone phones sound impressive, they don't present a realistic picture of a mix in my opinion.
K701 (probably also Q701) are much better. Also they are open, not closed like the Ultrasone, what makes them much better for mixing. Truth is, the bass is light and 10 khz are overrepresented.

I now use them with Sonarworks frequency correction and Waves NT. Quite realistic, it sounds really close to my monitors. The whole bunch will be above your budget, but maybe first the phones, then Sonarworks and the Waves plugin. Or maybe cheaper phones that can be calibrated with Sonarworks plus the Waves plugin. Whatever.
Good luck!
Peter
Old 9th March 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
If you go beyer, go 880, not 990. They'll be flatter sound-wise.
Old 9th March 2016
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Consider the Fostex TR Series. Depending on your preference, they are available in either closed, semi-open, or open formats with either 80 or 250 ohm impedance.
Old 10th March 2016 | Show parent
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
While the Ultrasone phones sound impressive, they don't present a realistic picture of a mix in my opinion.
K701 (probably also Q701) are much better. Also they are open, not closed like the Ultrasone, what makes them much better for mixing. Truth is, the bass is light and 10 khz are overrepresented.

I now use them with Sonarworks frequency correction and Waves NT. Quite realistic, it sounds really close to my monitors. The whole bunch will be above your budget, but maybe first the phones, then Sonarworks and the Waves plugin. Or maybe cheaper phones that can be calibrated with Sonarworks plus the Waves plugin. Whatever.
Good luck!
Peter
Thank you! I think I'll try Waves plugin after buy headphones. How are Q701 compared to K701? I read somewhere there are some people said that Q701 Quincy Jones version is just K702 with some changes in the appearance. For the light bass, do you have any suggestion for all-round reference headphones?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
If you go beyer, go 880, not 990. They'll be flatter sound-wise.
Ok, got it. Thank you so much, I'll consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbo View Post
Consider the Fostex TR Series. Depending on your preference, they are available in either closed, semi-open, or open formats with either 80 or 250 ohm impedance.
Thank you for your advice, I'll consider it!
Old 10th March 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Got the K701. I checked K702 and find them quite a bit better. Plus they currently cost less than the 701 (at least in Germany).
Old 11th March 2016 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
As far as I know the AKG Q701 is identical in sound to the K701. The K701 is one of the better headphones for mixing in it's price range and a lot cheaper than the Q701 (at least in my part of the world). But they are very bass light so if your intentions are to check how the mix would sound on typical consumer bass boosted headphones it would be completely useless.

No, the k701 and Q701 are different headphones. Q701 has slightly more low end, which I find to be very beneficial.

I have a bunch of headphones including M50x and HD280 Pros, among others, but my Q701 is the only I would consider mixing on, though its better to have several sets of headphones and a car, to switch between than just relying on one pair, if you absolutely cannot get a good set of monitors.
Old 11th March 2016 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
No, the k701 and Q701 are different headphones. Q701 has slightly more low end, which I find to be very beneficial.

I have a bunch of headphones including M50x and HD280 Pros, among others, but my Q701 is the only I would consider mixing on, though its better to have several sets of headphones and a car, to switch between than just relying on one pair, if you absolutely cannot get a good set of monitors.
You're absolutely right, I remember now. The Q701 was designed to be basically a K701 with slightly more lows and slightly warmer sound. I've always found the K701 to be a little light in the bass department so if the Q701 isn't TOO colored it should be great!
Old 19th March 2016
  #18
Sorry, I'm too busy to reply here!

The first thing I want to say is that thank you very much!

Is Q701 a little bass heavier than K701, because I want to check EVERYTHING including bass in headphones.

Q701 is now $175.00 on Amazon and it's rather cheap compared to K701 ($230.00). I'm leaning to Q701. Is there any better choice out there?
Old 26th March 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

I'm keen on getting the AKG Q701 but a bit put off after reading posts about their poor quality since now being made in China (originally Austria)..

Has anyone bought a pair recently and could share their experiences about them please ?

Many thanks

Noodlez
Old 26th March 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
I always say the same. AKG K7XX Massdrop edition of K702 AE. Best $199 you can spend. Massdrop currently don't have a "drop" on these going but someone was selling a pair (unopened) in the Classifieds.

Studiospares M1000 and M2000 are meant to be great (the closed ones actually more neutral than the open ones). They are sold under many names, including Brainwavs. For cheap, the iSK HP530 are very good. They compare very well with the AKG K7XX at only $50. They have the same balanced sound, but the AKG's are just more resolving with a better soundstage and separation around instruments, but the iSK's are still worth considering.

Many threads about this subject and the latest one seems to recommend Sonarworks (think that's what it's called), may be Sonicworks? It's EQ software for headphones and they have templates for many popular headphones or can EQ your own for you.
Old 26th March 2016
  #21
Here for the gear
 

i use akg k550s and cheap ****ty open back sonys i got for $40 to check mixes when my girlfriend is sick of the monitors.

the k550s are extremely clear in the midrange, but offer next to no bass. the sonys are so bass heavy and make all low-mids into disgusting mud.

k550s aren't bad for comping and tuning vocals so only i have to suffer the process, and the sonys are great for clearing up the low-midrange.

but i certainly don't do a majority of my mixing on them.
Old 27th March 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 

The K701 being light in the bass range is relative. The ears adjust quickly to what you are hearing โ€“for better and for worse.
I listen to bass heavy electronic music on the K701 and can't say they sound weak. It is only in direct comparison with a DT990Pro or DT770Pro, that you do notice, those have a lot more pressure in the bass department.
If you have the habit of turning the volume up to hear the bass, then a model with higher bass levels would be better to preserve the health of your ears โ€“and more fun too, maybe.
Old 27th March 2016
  #23
Gear Addict
 
Vesta's Avatar
 

Actually the DT990s are at the same level with HD600, but are twice cheaper. They're excellent phones. And don't forget, they were the Beyer flagship for a long time, before T1 was introduced. I prefer that to 880, because it has superior sound stage and incredibly far reaching bass. The strong presence in the trebles also helps not to create too sibilant mixes. I say, get that and never look back.
Old 27th March 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

DT880 are great for mixing. Sound on sound reviewed many sets off cans for this purpose and the 880s were they're collective pick. I also emailed Beyerdynamic, and they told me the 880s were what they would recommend for that purpose.
Old 27th March 2016 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
DT880 are great for mixing. Sound on sound reviewed many sets off cans for this purpose and the 880s were they're collective pick. I also emailed Beyerdynamic, and they told me the 880s were what they would recommend for that purpose.
I find the bass on the DT880 was much weaker than on the K701. The DT880 looks great and they have a very high definition overall, but they have a hole in the bass frequencies.
OK for Pop or Rock music. Not for electronic music.
But again, this is a matter of personal experience and taste. I think, it is easy for anyone to make their own choice, if you go to a shop and listen to your selection of candidates.
If you rely on other peoples' opinions, you can read for weeks and still know nothing.
Old 27th March 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

See my post in the other headphone thread here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11800268-post3108.html
Old 27th March 2016 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk View Post
I find the bass on the DT880 was much weaker than on the K701. The DT880 looks great and they have a very high definition overall, but they have a hole in the bass frequencies.
OK for Pop or Rock music. Not for electronic music.
But again, this is a matter of personal experience and taste. I think, it is easy for anyone to make their own choice, if you go to a shop and listen to your selection of candidates.
If you rely on other peoples' opinions, you can read for weeks and still know nothing.
I find the bass to be very nice and full. They're pretty flat and don't hype any frequencies... Top or bottom. Just what I want for mixing anything
Old 28th March 2016 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I find the bass to be very nice and full. They're pretty flat and don't hype any frequencies... Top or bottom. Just what I want for mixing anything
When I listen to a Drum & Bass track or Techno, I expect to get the impression of some pressure in the Bass range.
With the DT880 there was absolutely none. Total fail in my book.
But the fact that here are 2 people with completely different impressions of the same headphones proves my point: Anyone who cares to have a good choice for his personal taste should better listen for himself before he buys.
Old 28th March 2016 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk View Post
When I listen to a Drum & Bass track or Techno, I expect to get the impression of some pressure in the Bass range.
With the DT880 there was absolutely none. Total fail in my book.
But the fact that here are 2 people with completely different impressions of the same headphones proves my point: Anyone who cares to have a good choice for his personal taste should better listen for himself before he buys.
Bass on the 880's is fine, once you get used to them and have reference tracks. I still stand by my original statement that the 880's are more flat than the 990's.
Old 28th March 2016 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Bass on the 880's is fine, once you get used to them and have reference tracks. I still stand by my original statement that the 880's are more flat than the 990's.
However given the expressed concern that the K701 may not have enough bass energy, it makes no sense to consider the DT880. When checking bass-heavy tracks, the K701 delivered the feel of a strong bass, the DT880 did not.
That does not mean, the DT880 can't be a valuable tool for professional work. But if you either want or need the perception of strong bass frequencies when present in the material, then my estimation is that the DT880 is not a good choice and considering the DT880 over the K701 for more bass means not having heard these two.
Otherwise one would hear the obvious discrepancy.

As for the tool aspect:
I also checked the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X. I would not want this as main headphones. Mids sound metallic, any distorted material sounds terrible (for example hard rock guitars).
But they have one strong point: Envelopes. When working on compressor settings or any dynamics, they are amazing. I therefore consider them to be very valuable for dance music production. They can be tool, despite having weaknesses and being overpriced (given those weaknesses).
Likewise, the DT880 can be a tool, as can be the beyerdynamic Tesla models which I generally find extremely overpriced and overrated.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5169 views: 1089856
Avatar for Ribbonmicguy
Ribbonmicguy 6 hours ago
replies: 89 views: 41680
Avatar for SoundWow
SoundWow 28th September 2020
replies: 1269 views: 162774
Avatar for kludgeaudio
kludgeaudio 3 days ago
replies: 0 views: 1494
Avatar for Phunkfarm
Phunkfarm 11th May 2018
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump