The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic drums 4
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Mic drums 4

i've been using 4 mics 2 OH condensers(NTK,& a marshall...something..forgot right now ... 1shure57 on the snare and 1 shure kick mic...also my kick drum head is off where the mic goes...so this may have something to do with it

not great at this .... need some placement ideas so there's not too much bleed...i always end up hearing my kick in the OH's and snare mic.....anyhelp appreciated
i put a small piece of studio foam around the actual 57 snare mic..havn't tried this yet...think it might help......also

I am running logic pro and in the past have used some compression on the individual tracks to try to taime them when things dynamically get too loud or soft...
any idea son running the snare through an avalon 737 compressor while tracking..for some beef?? thanks
Old 2nd February 2007
The two rules I've found with 3 or 4 mic drum recording.
1) Treat the kit as a single entity.
Hence not much seperation and any fx put on snare will inevitably effect the hi-hat and other elements too.
2) The drummer has to be in control of overall drum dynamics.
It doesn't work too well if they are a hi-hat thrasher, smash the snare and tickle the bass drum, or vice versa.

You could try and mask the bass drum from the other mics with a tunnel, but that kind of goes against the Glyn Johns type approach.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I would forget about "getting the kick out of the overheads." From a standpoint of pure physics, it just isn't going to happen. And in a 4 mic situation, if you roll off the low end on your OH mics too much, you will SERIOUSLY wimp out your drum sound. Instead, make the kick your friend.

Put your 'OH' mics out front or behind the drum kit; in spaced pair, XY, or ORTF configuration. This will make the kick sound better in your OH/room mics...instead of fighting it, roll with it. Trust me, it will sound cool. Plus, cymbals will not be the only dominant force in the OH mics using this technique...it'll actually sound like a drum kit. Have fun with it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search