The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ribbon Mic Topology
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Ribbon Mic Topology

I know someone who spends the facts of his life like small change on strangers (id the quote and you win). He also spends his life repairing ribbon mics and has become quite the master of RCA style ribbons.

So, he has this idea to modify inexpensive Chinese-made mics, switch out the transformer, replace the thicker stock ribbon with a ribbon that is “identical” to those found in the revered RCA mics resulting in an excellent R-mic.

OK you ribbon mic slutz, is there anything else about the topology (if that’s the right term) of these DRoC mics other than the transformer and ribbon that would prevent them from sounding good? I thought that the shape of the chamber housing the ribbon also had a huge effect on the sound. Are their other important factors to consider?

Quick, someone stop me before I spend $600 in a match pair of these moded mics! I am not sure what to think. I DO know that I am done buying crappy sounding mics or crappy sounding anything else.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Le bump
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Guru

Sounds like Tom Waits to me.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

jon ulrigg of shinybox is already doing what your friend envisions. and from my experience with shinybox ribbons, the result is amazing for the money. i have owned coles 4038s and royer r-121s, and the shinybox has no problem holding its own against either of them for winds and strings and horns.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

i'm receiving a shinybox modded ribbon today via fedex (new ribbon and cinemag xformer). i'll put it thru its paces this weekend and get back to you on it. i have some superior ribbons to test it against. most of the complaints i've heard about ribbon mods are in the build quality of the mic. not the sound of the mod. we'll see. however, i must say that the aea r84 ($1000) is a superior mic in every way. a pair of those would be spectacular. even the r92 (about $750-800) is a great mic. if you can swing it, live long and prosper with those.

bill
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Guru

Don't forget the Peluso R-14. I put it against the R84 and 121. It held it's own in every way. I'm some cases I preferred it.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
jon ulrigg of shinybox is already doing what your friend envisions. and from my experience with shinybox ribbons, the result is amazing for the money. i have owned coles 4038s and royer r-121s, and the shinybox has no problem holding its own against either of them for winds and strings and horns.

Yes, I have heard about Shiny Box and have read mixed reviews. i thought the sample on the SB website sounds kinda bad. Plus my understanding is that he changes the transformer but not the ribbon. The other mic moder proposes that a thinner RCA-spec ribbon would be a huge improvement.

I imagine improving those two factors would make a huge difference. but would it be enough to make it a kick ass ribbon mic? Aren't there other important factors?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search