The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking drums tomorrow
Old 1st February 2007
Tracking drums tomorrow

I seem to be getting some decent tones standing in the drum room but for some reason the toms don't have the attack coming through the CaD m179. I wonder if the cads are too round sounding on toms for the faster devo style music we are producing. Anyone else using condensers on toms? I had used Oktavas mk012's before and they were too dark. I guess I need that punch plus still have a usable bleed so it's not so trash canny lke a 421
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Try the B1s. They're pretty damn punchy.
Old 1st February 2007
I'm looking for less tone and more attack. I have the capsules pointing at the center where the sticks hit. The bummer is we had a great kit in the studio but it got removed so now I am using my kit which hasn't been miced up in years and not used to the sound of it. all birch sonor. Gear I have a headache thinking about this crap lol.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I never had a 'trash can' experience with 421's.
They need proper placement, though; moving it an inch produces
a totally different tone.
But they pop nicely through the mix!
Doesn't always have to be the mic, though, try changing drumheads.
Tuning is essential.
Try some Remo coated emperor's on your toms, very versatile,
the round sound of pinstripes and attack of ambassadors.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

i've often liked 414's on toms, and once when the drummer's heads were kind of dead, i put 4033's on toms... lots of smack there.

--jon
Old 2nd February 2007
I was gonna go try some clear emperors
Old 2nd February 2007

Josephson E22s are killer on Toms!
Old 2nd February 2007
I've heard those Josephsons and they do kick ass. Just a little too expensive. I am going to try different heads like some clear emperors.

V
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

2 ply clears. Good choice. I use the Evans G2 and those have some serious attack to them. Just to throw in a wrench.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

try pulling the bottom heads off or cutting some small holes in them.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

as far as heads go ive been using clear emperor batter heads and clear ambassador resonance heads.. that combo sounds awesome

sennheiser e604's sound badass on toms too..i always thought of them as a live mic until i heard them in a recording session thumbsup
Old 2nd February 2007
Thanks guys. I think the clear emperors are gonna do the trick. I love coated ambassadors but they don't last but one or two songs before the coating is done (Our music has a lot of tom driven riffs). I figure a thin two ply clear will be the right choice sonically and durable as well.

V
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

My favorite punk rock drummer, Bill Stevenson, uses an SM81 on the rack tom (top) and some LDC on the floor tom. Check out his website for more info
www.drumogre.com

For that style of music (where speed matters) his drum sound approaches perfection.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I was gonna go try some clear emperors
Yeah dude. Clear Emperors on the top. Ambassadors on the bottom. Been using that combo for years. That would be the best place to start. Should cost you less than $170. Your half way there. Then you can start playing round with the mics. The Cads should be sweet with new heads on...
Old 2nd February 2007
Thanks. No more coated heads for me. I can't afford them anymore. I started using that high energy snare head from aquarian head and it sounds killer and should last about 20 years lol. Superkick 2 is awesome with two evans eq pads. The toms just don't sound right. I will get all this straightened out by tomorrow. Thanks for all your input. My fave Devo album is Duty now for the future and ken scott recorded it. I wonder what technique he used on the drums and what kind of mics.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. No more coated heads for me. I can't afford them anymore
heh ...I also started to eat less, but I got to have the coated, dammit!
Clear emperors are very nice also, very wet!
Old 2nd February 2007
Holy Crap!

The clear Emperors sound huge on this kit.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Anyone else using condensers on toms?
Bruce Swedien.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

I Like coated pintripes personally depending on the kit.

clear emperor= lots of tone, lots of resonance
coated emperor= drier, slightly more attack
clear pinstripe=lots of tone, lots of attack
coated pinstripe= good tone, lots of attack, thick and dry

ambassadors have too much resonance for toms and wear out quick but are the best on snare.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

i recently got very good drum sounds using beta57a's on the toms... clear and full sound...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search