The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which 500 pre amp for hip-hop?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Which 500 pre amp for hip-hop?

Title says it all really - am thinking of going with the gama mono - jst wondering if anyone had tried it for tracking a rapper or r&b vox? Or any of the other 500 pre amps for that matter?

Thanks
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

ive actually had a lot of success with the buzz elixir in this area. that and the eisen "neveish" are the two i would suggest from my experience.

most people will probably tell you to get a P1 or a 512, and theyre probably right too heh however, im not sure you can just throw a certain preamp at a certain kind of music and it will work just like you want it every time. i would make preamp decisions more based on the kind of voice the person has as opposed to the genre of music.

that being said, you can get three different tones out of the mono gama, so that does look like a good option.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

I have both the Buzz Elixir and P1 and they both rock! Both different flavors and very nice nice sounding. I really don't think you can go wrong with any 500 series preamp. The BUZZ has a super tight, fat sounding low end, so maybe that would be one to look at. I have also been eyeing that Gama. I want them all! Good luck.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

My first thought from the ones I own would be the Biz (BAE 312, Elixir, Biz are what I have). I'd also like to pick up some Shadow Hills stuff and anxiously awaiting the compressor.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

The API 512 was and is a staple for Hiphop.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

biz is bangin'
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Head

Couldnt go wrong with the Gamma.A killer pre.I have the 8.
Harryh
Old 2nd February 2007
500 series nutjob

hip hop is not what happens here so i hate to say much but i will say the buzz elixir as a very nice bottom good air a very nice pre.
the EM blue is also a nice for it s airy top and nice bottom, i love it as well.
my gama dose not get a lot of use but i have no complaints it also rocks.
my go to pre in the 500 form is hands down the A-Designs P-1
it just works and i like what it dose on the mids.
Old 2nd February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
my go to pre in the 500 form is hands down the A-Designs P-1
it just works and i like what it dose on the mids.
I agree... That or the 512c are great for hip hop. I've used 512's to track major label rappers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search