The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The making of my new record, top to bottom.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

awesome guitar sounds james. well done and gotta love some straight up rock n roll

cant wait to here the finished product
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey View Post
As a side note, my first description of my VHT was "it's a high gain Hiwatt" heh thumbsup
Yeah! Dying to try a VHT. I remember a review saying somthing like "it has the toothy snarl of a Hiwatt" (about the cleaner sounds). Didn't know what a Hiwatt sounded like back then!
Old 8th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
That's some bigtime guitar sluttiness dude. I was at the amp shop on ventura today and you've got about 1/2 of the amps they have and they're A DAMN RETAILER !!!!

So ..... you align all ten mics by moving them around for phase ??? Or just align the 2 on each cab ??? All ten right ..... ? Since they're bleeding into each other ?

And how close is close enough ?

Guitars sound great.
Rock on.

It's actually 5 mics, 2 performances, total of 10. We align all 5 mics to perfection. All 5 intitail peaks line up on the same sample. It took about 20 minutes but it's worth it.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Just so I understand what you are doing James, is this a mic movement thing or are you lining up the waveforms after the fact on tape (disc)? Is there really any difference to either method?
Old 8th February 2007

It's a mic moving procedure. Usually you pick a mic and line everyone up to it. If the first peak transient is 1 sample ahead you go into the room and move that mic back an inch and try the muted picking technique again, repeat till they land together. each amp will have a slightly different looking transient but just mess with it a little.

I guess you could do it either way but I hate tracking guitars when they are out of phase. When I'm tracking I like it loud as hell and I lik it to sound intense. Out of phase guitars make me cringe!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

James... Kinda off subject, but when are we going to see that Reality show...?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

guitars sound cool, man. sooooo much midrange. looking fwd to hearing a full mix.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
It's really very simple.

If you see one of the tracks ahead just a bit, then walk over and move that mic back a little.
Hey Stewart-

Since we both track tons of guitar parts, your above approach works. However, I love my Little Labs IBP's. Not only for phase correction, but for re-amping, too. That along with a Radial injector - total control anytime with 0% phase issues. Set it and forget it!

Bump: BTW, Sorry I missed the NAMM party at your place. I get held up in Texas with weather delays and had to reschedule every meeting I had at NAMM -- AND my anniversary was the 2.7.07, too.

James: Nice thread. BTW, once-upon-a-time, Chelsea was part of the circle back in Boston... heh Funny stuff.

TJ
Old 8th February 2007

I've heard that's a nice piece but I've always done it this way, so I guess it's routine for me. I actually enjoy the process of phasing mics. Gregg Sartiano tought me years ago and I've just always had fun with it. I've got it down to a science, I can usually phase a Royer and a 57 perfectly by eye. I know how they should look in relation to each other.

On another note people have asked about pres for heavy guitars, the A Design Red 500 is my favorite. It has such a killer bite.

As far as pres, and this is just one mans opinion:

TG Channel - Nice and open, works well with most mics

A Design Red 500 - Awesome for heavies, best sounding pre IMO. Ribbon or dynamic

LTD-1 - Warmer and slower, usually if something sounds harsh or honky with an API the LTD is the trick.

BAE312 - Works good with some mics, can be hit or miss on guitars

Pacifica - Nice and big
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hi James. Guitar sound is Great!!
Thanks for sharing.
Are you using any Pedals of FXs before hitting the Amps?
Sorry if you addressed this before.
Thanks again and best of Luck with the Record.
Cheers......Joaquin.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I've heard that's a nice piece but I've always done it this way, so I guess it's routine for me. I actually enjoy the process of phasing mics.

As far as pres, and this is just one mans opinion:

TG Channel - Nice and open, works well with most mics

A Design Red 500 - Awesome for heavies, best sounding pre IMO. Ribbon or dynamic

LTD-1 - Warmer and slower, usually if something sounds harsh or honky with an API the LTD is the trick.

BAE312 - Works good with some mics, can be hit or miss on guitars

Pacifica - Nice and big
Yeah, I like that collection, too. I'm digging the crank of a Germanium with a Pultec these days as well. Also, Oliver's V78 with a 47 or AEA92 with a Royer 121V, Wow! FYI: For more bite I've used a 414 or 57 in place of the Royer and it's P- H- A -T! The Germ and V78 LOVE those pinch offs, too. Nice harmonic jumps and the Pultecs or LA-2's draw them out nicely - Add the SPL TD, and holy s**t!

NOTE: Have you tried an SPL TD on your guitars? I love this box on acoustics, amps (and of curse drums and vox). BUT, since Zakk is in the house, those harmonics will be insane! heh Also got a Demeter RV-1 at NAMM and it's outstanding. Loves guitars!

BTW: Since you're moving onto acoustic tracks soon, I just picked up an AEA TRP and it is just stellar with TONS of head room for ANY ribbon I tried it on. As guitar tone freaks, the increased headroom and punch with the TRP AGAINST heavy guitars is eq in a box - instantly. Love this pre. In fact, I just bought a Bad Cat Panther and I'm going to try the TRP with the Royer and 92 in a few days. With the ability to blend the channels and the mid-bump dial, I believe play with tubes, adjust the bias, and this amp will be a H-U-G-E tone slut! The API's should love it, too.

TJ
Old 8th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin View Post
Hi James. Guitar sound is Great!!
Thanks for sharing.
Are you using any Pedals of FXs before hitting the Amps?
Sorry if you addressed this before.
Thanks again and best of Luck with the Record.
Cheers......Joaquin.

None, straight into amp splitter with 10 foot cable. I only will go into a pedal if I need a specific effect printed, other then that always straight in with a short cable.
Old 8th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Obsessed View Post
Yeah, I like that collection, too. I'm digging the crank of a Germanium with a Pultec these days as well. Also, Oliver's V78 with a 47 or AEA92 with a Royer 121V, Wow! FYI: For more bite I've used a 414 or 57 in place of the Royer and it's P- H- A -T! The Germ and V78 LOVE those pinch offs, too. Nice harmonic jumps and the Pultecs or LA-2's draw them out nicely - Add the SPL TD, and holy s**t!

NOTE: Have you tried an SPL TD on your guitars? I love this box on acoustics, amps (and of curse drums and vox). BUT, since Zakk is in the house, those harmonics will be insane! heh Also got a Demeter RV-1 at NAMM and it's outstanding. Loves guitars!

BTW: Since you're moving onto acoustic tracks soon, I just picked up an AEA TRP and it is just stellar with TONS of head room for ANY ribbon I tried it on. As guitar tone freaks, the increased headroom and punch with the TRP AGAINST heavy guitars is eq in a box - instantly. Love this pre. In fact, I just bought a Bad Cat Panther and I'm going to try the TRP with the Royer and 92 in a few days. With the ability to blend the channels and the mid-bump dial, I believe play with tubes, adjust the bias, and this amp will be a H-U-G-E tone slut! The API's should love it, too.

TJ

All that sounds great, may the tone be with you.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All that sounds great, may the tone be with you.
And with you...

TJ
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hell, I'm naturally retro...lol Let go, be myself and enjoy the journey.
Now your making me feel old heh - those gtr sounds still seem pretty relevant to me in a modern sense.

Speaking of which, when your talking about lining up the phase I used to do it similar to you, but last year I tried MW's pink noise into the amp trick and it worked really really well...and quickly. I was surprised how well they lined up on the wave forms...and even when not perfect, it was off in a good way.

Anyhow, that's pretty cool/ballsy of you to post raw tracks like this - I don't know many guys that would. Kinda like being naked in a crowd. Not to blow smoke up your ass, but you can really hear a good mix coming out of it.
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
Today was day 1 of guitars and it was a disaster. Protools problems, client with corrupt hard drives etc... Tomorrow's another day.
download and install something called "applejack" for your macs.. it's better than diskwarrior
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
No moved the mics till all the first transient peaks lined up to the sample.
did you do anything similar with the drums?

inquiring minds want to know
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
None, straight into amp splitter with 10 foot cable. I only will go into a pedal if I need a specific effect printed, other then that always straight in with a short cable.
Thanks
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
did you do anything similar with the drums?

inquiring minds want to know
That was my question. Do you use this same method to check phase on drums?

Am I right in assuming that this method is used instead of flipping the phase on a mic?

I'm still looking for an easy fool-proof method to attain phase coherance with drums. It doesn't help that I record drum tracks usually by myself.

Guitars sound great, Dude.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

? I'm pretty sure this method is for mics which are already close together, so we're talking about micro adjustments, bearing in mind 1mm = 1 foot.

I remember a couple of years ago, a producer I worked with did the phase check thing with 2 mics in a coincident pair which were (nearly) right up against the grill, so I guess he was checking for phase coherence across all frequencies. ?
Old 9th February 2007

Nothing really for drums, just set up mics and nudge'em around till it sounds cool. I try to phase out the top and bottom snare mics and center the overs using the snare as ground zero.
Old 9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 421 and SM7 worked really well this week. Also I try to go a little less gain and multi track and play tight, tight, tight!!!
Oh man... how I wish the guitar player I worked with last night knew how to keep tight with the beat.....

16 bars of the same riff for 3 hours.... and the good takes are still questionable.....

aaaggghghhhh
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Guru

Very Cool James!!
Keep it raw and mean baby!
Gtrs sounding tough!thumbsup

Did you make a decision on the mix stage:Summing,ITB,Both?
Old 9th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
I'm still looking for an easy fool-proof method to attain phase coherance with drums. It doesn't help that I record drum tracks usually by myself.
best method i've found is monitor them in MONO while you setup up the mics... start with whatever you want to base the drum sound on, like a mono room mic... then add each drum relative to that... moving the mic around till it sounds best... again in mono...

it also helps to keep in mind that he close mics are really just there for IMPACT and will be filtered, gated, compressed and EQed into oblivion... which leads back to getting "most" of the sound (minus the smacky stick hits) from the room/OHs...

of course there's a little more to it in that you'll use the low end from the kick mic, some ring from the snare... low from toms, etc... but the main idea is still IMPACT.. thwack thwack thwack... and dont be afraid to process the hell out of the close mics...

that's my method anyhow.
Old 9th February 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

Sweet

You're making me want to pick up some boutique guitar amps. Or better yet, force some of my guitar playing buddies to throw down for them, since I'm a bassist.

heh
Old 10th February 2007

Here's some pics from acoustic guitar day, I'll get mp3's up in a few days.

2-TelefunkenUSA AK-47's>2-Pacifica's>2-C2's

Brian Boland engineered for me and set the mics up. We were looking for a very personal 1 guitar/1 vocal vibe, kinda like the acoustic version of Howie Day's 'Collide'. I used my Martin. It was a tricky tune to track because I wasn't sure if the hand slides from chord to chord would distract from the lyrics and the story. So I did a few passes of holding the chords over in case want to peice it together if the hand slides bug me.
Brian did a great job, the acoustic sounds beautiful.

Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

M/S
Yummy
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys. I think you guys are right about samples. I really want this to be real and raw sounding. I've been listening to Rush 'Hemispheres' all week and the sound of that record is perfect to me. I love it.
That raises a good point. How come no has released a cd in the last 25 years that sounds even close to Hemispheres sonically?

I think it shows that even more important than gear or the engineer.
it's the really the sound of the band that can make or break the sound of a record.

I mean face it, You could book Pearl Jam or Nirvana in the same studio,
with the same gear, with the same engineer/producer as Hemispheres was created and It would'nt sound nearly as good. Simply because the sound of those bands is not made to sound good. Also they are below average musicans and
even their stage gear sounds crappy. Sure it's meant to be that way.

Look at that R30 DVD rush just put out. It's live and it sounds better than 99%
of the cd's recorded in major studio's in the last 30 years. It was probabbly only recorded through a midas or something right to pro tools.

It shows you just how average most of the bands out there are,
when their studio cd's don't sound half as good as a Rush live album that
doesn't even have overdubs

what a joke
Old 10th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
M/S
Yummy
Looks more like X/Y...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search