The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home Recording Bootcamp
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Home Recording Bootcamp

I am looking into getting some education to take my engineering/mixing skills to the next level. Does anyone have expereince with the Home Recording Bootcamp with Ronan Chris Murphy? I am considering the 6 day course.

Thanks
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I attended a 2 day session about a year ago.

Ronan is a great guy and it was lots of fun. A very good experience.

However, the session I attended was on the basic side. While it would have been a fantastic experience for someone just getting into home recording, most true Gearslutz would already know much of what was covered (e.g. how a compressor works, difference between dynamic, condensor, ribbon mics). I would have prefered coverage of more advanced topics. But I definitely got a few gems out of it and would recommend it highly. I just wasn't taking notes as furiously as some of the other attendees.

The 6 day sessions no doubt allow Ronan to go into more depth. I have considered attending a 6 day session, but haven't had the time. Are you in LA? It would be cool to get a group of Gearslutz to coordinate a 6 day Gearslutz session. That way we could go into some more advanced topics. Ronan?

Like I said, Ronan is pleasure to deal with. I suggest contacting him and asking some questions to find out if it will cater to your needs.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I'm actualy in Lexington, KY. Me and a bunch of race horses! I would be attending the 6 day session hoping to gain some advanced skills. Thanks for the reply.
Old 1st February 2007
You might look into the seminars that Larry Crane (editor of TapeOp) puts on at his Jackpot Studio in Portland. One of my pals went to it and thought it was pretty cool. ALthough, I'm not sure how deep it goes, either. On a slightly more convention-al plane, TapeOpCon is a yearly tradeshow that seems to have some curb appeal on some kinda level.
Old 1st February 2007
Here for the gear

Hey toolate,

Just came back from a six day course with Ronan in early January. Had a blast and learned alot. You said you were interested in learning some advanced skills...what skills, exactly?

I came at the class from the standpoint of a musician/songwriter who wanted to take my average/sub-radio quality sounding demos/mixes and figure out how to make them sound professional. I was interested in everything from proper mic technique to mixdown to use of compression, etc. Over the years, I've learned a thing or two about sound, but all in bits in pieces and not really gelled into a unified understanding of the recording-to-final-product process. This course provided that.

Ronan is a great instructor. His approach is deceptively simple--make sure you've got magic happening before the sound hits the microphone--then don't screw it up. This doesn't sound like an earthshattering idea, but I can tell you after having done my fair share of reading message boards about ProTools this and multi-stereo mic-ing technique that (not to say that these are not important things to know and understand, but I've noted a clear tendency for folks to get lost in the minutiae), reading varying opinions on supposedly essential issues (44.1k or 48k? for example) and trying to figure it all out on my own, the opportunity to learn some simple proven techniques was like a breath of fresh air.

If you're looking for a course to teach you everything Pro-Tools, the latest techniques and crazes, for example, or you want gear gouge (amp modeler or no?), then this is probably not the course for you. But if you want to have someone who does this day-in and day-out take you from zero to sixty and show you how to get great sound all the time, everytime, then you might consider signing up.

Maybe I've had my head in the sand all these years, but I came away with a profound shift in my approach to recording, primarily because I've spent alot of years making rookie mistakes like programming plug-ins to try to mimic live sounds, or trying to eliminate bleed-thru on my vocal tracks, or trying to fix major problems in the mix with EQ after they've been recorded, instead of focusing on the performance and the music. The bottom line: what Ronan does (and teaches) works.

Hearing the fidelity and quality in the end product is the proof. I've been home two weeks, and my stuff is sounding worlds better already. It was a great course and I got alot out of it.

Hope this helps. Feel free to hit me with any questions...Keep rockin,

JP
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks JP. It sounds great. You had asked what skills I am wanting to enhance. Basically everything. I am self taught and would just love to have a pro to teach me. I am sure I am doing a lot of un necessary stuff that hurts my mixes, but not sure what. Rookie mistakes like you said. I've been doing it for several years and my stuff is getting better and better. I have really happy clients, but I know that some real intruction could take me to another plane. I am not satisfied to stay "pretty good". I want to be GREAT. Really great. I may shoot you some specific questions as I narrow down my search more.

Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
I am looking into getting some education to take my engineering/mixing skills to the next level. Does anyone have expereince with the Home Recording Bootcamp with Ronan Chris Murphy? I am considering the 6 day course.

Thanks
I thought I'd chime in on this thread.... I'm John Rodd, and I'm a guest instructor for Home Recording Bootcamp.

I know Ronan from years back, and we're good pals. What I do professionally is feature film score work / large orchestral recording and mixing / orchestral video game recording and mixing / tv music engineering and some album stuff. I have many major feature film credits. (credits are on my website)

During the six day bootcamp I come in as a guest instructor and give a lecture about stereo mike techniques that can be used in many applications (not just orchestras.) Ronan focuses on mono mic techniques in his classes, so my very different perspective adds something to the six days.

I'm clearly biased in my opinions of Ronan as we are great friends (he was one of the two best men at my wedding last year) but I can honestly say that Ronan puts his heart and soul into his Bootcamp lectures. The students seem to learn a huge amount in a small time, and they always seem to be super happy with what they learn.

How he juggles his very full schedule of producing, recording and mixing CD's and the occasional bootcamp class is beyond me. I think he takes off three days a year, at best.

Anyway - it is good to see all the really positive responses here about Home Recording Bootcamp.

regards,

John
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks John. I am really hoping to fit this in. Your credits speak for themselves. I look forward to hopefully learning from you.
Old 21st November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
Thanks John. I am really hoping to fit this in. Your credits speak for themselves. I look forward to hopefully learning from you.
So.... did you ever take a BootCamp course?
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

Hi,

I have seen what Ronan does with his classes and I have also seen the results of his work with some of his students.

The whole experience is something even an experienced engineer could take note of.

Ronan does a great job teaching and there is "Hands on".

I would tell people to go to his class and as a matter of fact I have!!!

It's worth it,

Peter
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

I'm at the bootcamp right now

Just a little update. I am in the middle of a 6 day bootcamp, and I can honestly say that it has absolutely been worth the time and money spent to come.

Very good stuff for sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search