The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
difference between studio and live power amps?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

difference between studio and live power amps?

there are many more options when it comes to power amps, in live sound markets, than there are, for studio monitoring... any reason why, say, a QSC RMX2450, a pretty highly regarded live sound amplifier, should not be used to power a dynaudio bm15p or a jbl lsr 6332?

respect,
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Good thread!! I have 2 old Bose 1800 watt!!! amps, They each weigh somthing like 75lbs each. I also have a QSC, a Crown D150? and D300?

After hours and hours of A/B-ing the BOSE amps won. The Crowns were very very strong sounding and very pleasing with lots of transients and tightness. The BOSE were very transparent and super clean yet packed with power. They were just as tight but in a nice 3D kind of way. The airy high on the BOSE were a bit nicer as well. The lows on the Crowns seemed a little shaped or synthetic like. The Bose were super clear.
The QSC had a fan and even though it is a whisper fan or whatever that just knocked it out of the scheme.

Many amps are very different.

Cool thread.

edit- Those amps if you didn't know are totally live PA amps. I also use an NAD and a FOSTEX 3.1 config. I have a pair of B&W's and a pair of older ALTEC studio monitors.
Old 1st February 2007

It comes down to heat management.

Concert amps use fans, typically, because 40dB of fan noise behind the stacks of speakers is not an issue. They typicaly have power supplied designed for less than optimal power (like voltage sags). Speaker protection is optimized for high-power drivers.

Studio amps often end up in the control room and shouldn't have fans. They don't have to deal with power issues, road abuse, spilled beer, etc....

Most folks get finnicky about the amps for their monitors. But, if you get one with enough headroom, low THD and IM, you'll be fine. Most of the rest is in your head, or in other factors that change when you go swap cables and listen again.....

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search