The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tip: How to get a warm recording from a bright microphone
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Head

Tip: How to get a warm recording from a bright microphone

Hello people,

This morning I was recording a drum session and when I added the snare bottom mic to the mix and flipped the phase I got an idea...

As some of you remember, recently I was looking for a warm sounding condenser mic for vocals, the ideal mic was a ribbon style mic in the low-mids and highs and a condenser in the lows and mid-highs so I experimented one trick...

I recorded in the same time my vocals with a bright condenser mic and a ribbon, the ribbon was too dark for a modern production and the condenser was too bright for a vintage production.

The ribbon was slightly farer the condenser (about 2 cm) so when I soloed the two signals together they were out of phase and the canceled each other out, but then I switched the phase button on and here is the magic...

I had the body of the ribbon mic and the brightness of the condenser, the result was awesome, very balanced with a ribbon style body but bright enough and never harsh in the highs.

So... When you have some spare time try this technique and let me know what you think about it.

Get a very bright mic and a very dark mic, put them in a slight different distance from the singer and flip the phase of one of them.

Have a good day
Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

If the vocalist moves even slightly, that would change the phase relationship of the mics. Sounds like a nightmare to me. You need to read up on and understand the 3:1 rule for mics before you try to break it.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
If the vocalist moves even slightly, that would change the phase relationship of the mics. Sounds like a nightmare to me. You need to read up on and understand the 3:1 rule for mics before you try to break it.
I moved while I was singing but there was no phase cancellation (remember to switch the phase button on) the response was constant throughout the session.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Guru

I've used two mics on vocals many times. I usually have the capsules as close to each other as possible. The blend comes from how I set the faders. This can work really great when doing multiple songs, because you can easily alter the balance form song to song, or even within a song. I usually commit to the blend and print to one track.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search